Things which come out of government's mouth

« Older   Newer »
FionaK
view post Posted on 5/9/2013, 16:36

From time to time I am brought up short by the sheer effrontery of those who micromanage my job from on high. It happened again today. So I decided to share one of the provisions of the "Guidance on Looked After Children (Scotland) Regulations 2009 and the Adoption and Children (Scotland) Act 2007, so you might understand the frustrations

This particular set of regulations have the force of law. They replace a previous set which were nothing like so bad, because they were written before the powers that be completely lost sight of what we are about: that is a big subject and I could go on about it for hours. But however you see that have a wee look at just one of the results.

The topic is what to do when a child we are responsible for dies. This happens because children do die, no matter who is looking after them. It is a fact of life. As you may imagine it is a very serious and distressing thing to happen. It is natural that the circumstances will be investigated, though it is not necessary to assume it is someone's fault. But that is by the by. What I am concerned about today is this paragraph.

The local authority may recover from any parent of the child, including through summary recovery as a civil debt, any expenses they have incurred through the burial or cremation of a child who was under 16 when he or she died. Whilst many parents will wish to take responsibility for or contribute towards teh costs of the burial or cremation, some may be unwilling or unable to do so. This issue should be handled with sensitivity

Can anybody tell me how to sensitively sue someone for funeral expenses? I must have missed that part of my training.

0 replies since 5/9/2013, 16:36   22 views