Flat pack houses

« Older   Newer »
FionaK
view post Posted on 8/5/2013, 07:44

http://www.guardian.co.uk/artanddesign/arc...omment-23360087

The article is about a scheme in Holland whereby architects, builders, and the local authority have got together to produce a number of designs for flat pack houses you build yourself. It is said that this is aimed to ease a housing shortage and to produce "affordable" accommodation. Only trouble is that they cost something like £97,000. I do not know what the average wage in the Netherlands is: but here it is about £26,000 and so this does not fit any definition of "affordable" I can accept.

It is a measure of the disconnect between the real world most of us inhabit, and the world of those who write for the Guardian and the people who make housing policy. At least in the UK the price of houses in London distorts people's perceptions of what is reasonable, to quite an astonishing extent. It seems to be impossible for them to think about re-aligning the price of housing with people's income: presumably because they are themselves in significant housing debt and fear to lose their expected profits.

view post Posted on 8/5/2013, 14:30

Group:
Administrator

A quick google search teaches me that many starters' homes here are around €190,000.

So €115,000 is a bargain?

Note to self: Find the mystical place where that kind of money is widely considered to be affordable.

1 replies since 8/5/2013, 07:44   26 views