Philosophy book suggestion

« Older   Newer »
ex nihilo
view post Posted on 23/2/2012, 19:49

I'm currently needing some books evaluating plato's republic, if you have any suggestions you can give me. And also any philosophy books in general will be greatly appreciated.

Lord Muck oGentry
view post Posted on 25/2/2012, 01:28

QUOTE (ex nihilo @ 23/2/2012, 19:49) 
I'm currently needing some books evaluating plato's republic, if you have any suggestions you can give me. And also any philosophy books in general will be greatly appreciated.

This may well have been mentioned already, but you could have a look at Popper on Plato:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Open_Soci...and_Its_Enemies

As for philosophy books in general, it depends on where you are starting from. From your comments elsewhere, I gather that you have attended some philosophy course or courses. But which?

ex nihilo
view post Posted on 27/2/2012, 13:34

Basic ones I suppouse, mere introductions.

Personally I'm quite into post-modern philosophers, and genrally more abstract philosophy. Less political and moral. You (if my memory hasn't decieved me) seem to have reffrenced Karl Popper a lot. What is he like, if I may ask?

FionaK
view post Posted on 27/2/2012, 14:39

Ex-Nihilo:you asked for book suggestions specifically touching on Plato. Lord Muck was kind enough to make a suggestion. Now you come back asking him to do more of your work for you. If you want to know what Popper is like I think the best thing for you to do is read him!

I do not know who you mean by "post modern" philosophers: but if you mean what the rest of us mean then to be perfectly honest I think you will be wasting your time. They do not write in any recognisable language, for the most part. I honestly think you should try to get a handle on rather more basic stuff like spelling, before casting off to skim the surface of porridge

view post Posted on 27/2/2012, 17:41

Group:
Administrator

QUOTE (ex nihilo @ 27/2/2012, 13:34) 

Personally I'm quite into post-modern philosophers, and genrally more abstract philosophy. Less political and moral. You (if my memory hasn't decieved me) seem to have reffrenced Karl Popper a lot. What is he like, if I may ask?

I agree with Fiona. The post-modern philosophers are not very helpful, particularly to those new to the topics these guys intend to attack. I suggest you read some interesting philosophers first.

I've recently been recommended Alain de Botton. Unfortunately, I don't have time yet to read one of his books, but he writes easy - and about interesting stuff that actually matters to normal people. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alain_de_Botton . Try for example: Religion for Atheists , or better yet Consolations of Philosophy

Sophie's world is also quite nice. I did read that once upon a time. It's a story about a little girl who learns about all the great philosophers from a wise old fellow in an almost fairytale setting.

Another one that has been recommended to me, but I never had time: Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance: An inquiry into values. by Robert M. Pirsig.

I suggest you start in that corner, and expand out from there. The ones above are good reads, I do believe, so you won't regret it.

ETA: Umberto Eco should be in this post, too.

ex nihilo
view post Posted on 28/2/2012, 15:48

QUOTE (FionaK @ 27/2/2012, 21:39) 
Ex-Nihilo:you asked for book suggestions specifically touching on Plato. Lord Muck was kind enough to make a suggestion. Now you come back asking him to do more of your work for you. If you want to know what Popper is like I think the best thing for you to do is read him!

All I wanted was a basic idea of what subjects Popper dwells in, I don't want vast essays on what he has done and what he is like Fiona, Just to see if I will like his stuff as I have no idea on what he writes. *sigh* I am sorry Lord Muck for the request, forget about it... my inquisitiveness got the better of me it appears.
I do not know who you mean by "post modern" philosophers: but if you mean what the rest of us mean then to be perfectly honest I think you will be wasting your time. They do not write in any recognisable language, for the most part. I honestly think you should try to get a handle on rather more basic stuff like spelling, before casting off to skim the surface of porridge

By post modern, I mean around and after friedrich nietzsche's time.

QUOTE (Vninect @ 28/2/2012, 00:41) 
QUOTE (ex nihilo @ 27/2/2012, 13:34) 

I agree with Fiona. The post-modern philosophers are not very helpful, particularly to those new to the topics these guys intend to attack. I suggest you read some interesting philosophers first.

I've recently been recommended Alain de Botton. Unfortunately, I don't have time yet to read one of his books, but he writes easy - and about interesting stuff that actually matters to normal people. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alain_de_Botton . Try for example: Religion for Atheists , or better yet Consolations of Philosophy

Sophie's world is also quite nice. I did read that once upon a time. It's a story about a little girl who learns about all the great philosophers from a wise old fellow in an almost fairytale setting.

Another one that has been recommended to me, but I never had time: Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance: An inquiry into values. by Robert M. Pirsig.

I suggest you start in that corner, and expand out from there. The ones above are good reads, I do believe, so you won't regret it.

ETA: Umberto Eco should be in this post, too.

Thank you.

FionaK
view post Posted on 28/2/2012, 23:48

QUOTE (FionaK @ 27/2/2012, 21:39) 

All I wanted was a basic idea of what subjects Popper dwells in, I don't want vast essays on what he has done and what he is like Fiona, Just to see if I will like his stuff as I have no idea on what he writes. *sigh* I am sorry Lord Muck for the request, forget about it... my inquisitiveness got the better of me it appears.

That won't really do, ex nihilo. You specifically asked for commentary on Plato, so clearly that is one of the things Popper writes about. Lord Muck linked the wiki article for you, which was considerate of him. If that is not a basic idea sufficient for what you now say you were looking for, then I don't know what would be. Wiki is where a lot of people start, when interested in something.

I am not trying to get at you, ex nihilo: but it is not reasonable to expect other people to do all the work. Reading a wiki article is not onerous: if it leaves you with particular questions, and if the citations don't help, then it is fair to bring them back to see if Lord Muck or anyone else might be willing to discuss it further. But you have to hold your end up.

6 replies since 23/2/2012, 19:49   134 views