Is existence pointless?

« Older   Newer »
ex nihilo
view post Posted on 18/2/2012, 23:02

Does anyone think there is a meaning to existance - or if we were to go more specifically - life in genral, or is it pointless? With me I think the latter is true, and there is no set meaning to existance, and meaning is just a thing we give certain phenomina to make sense of it.

FionaK
view post Posted on 19/2/2012, 00:08

I have never understood the question, I am afraid. It doesn't bother me at all

view post Posted on 19/2/2012, 11:26

Group:
Administrator

Life and existence seem to be facts. Like a hammer. Is there a meaning to a hammer? When it is not hitting stuff, is there a point to its existence? If it is hitting stuff, is it in a more happy place?

Meaning is applicable in communication and symbolism. The point of things is used to evaluate conscious processes. To see the universe or life as either one, I think, is a mistake. They are procedural at best. But you don't ask, say, a shifting sand dune where it is going. It's not "going" anywhere. It's being shifted by the wind and gravity. Because the process is a fairly simple one, we can make predictions on where it is going, but it has no destination - just a trajectory.

FionaK
view post Posted on 19/2/2012, 13:49

Very well said, Vninect

ex nihilo
view post Posted on 19/2/2012, 19:27

QUOTE (FionaK @ 19/2/2012, 20:49) 
Very well said, Vninect

Agreed. A fair point.

And I just found out I spelt existence wrong in the title, well that's just great...

view post Posted on 19/2/2012, 20:23

Group:
Administrator

No worries, fixed that for you. Also, thanks :)

ex nihilo
view post Posted on 19/2/2012, 22:59

QUOTE (Vninect @ 20/2/2012, 03:23) 
No worries, fixed that for you. Also, thanks :)

Wait! You can do that? Oh yes, your an admin. Sorry, I forgot. Also, thank you.

Stafal
view post Posted on 21/3/2012, 23:37

QUOTE (Vninect @ 19/2/2012, 11:26) 
Life and existence seem to be facts. Like a hammer. Is there a meaning to a hammer? When it is not hitting stuff, is there a point to its existence? If it is hitting stuff, is it in a more happy place?

Meaning is applicable in communication and symbolism. The point of things is used to evaluate conscious processes. To see the universe or life as either one, I think, is a mistake. They are procedural at best. But you don't ask, say, a shifting sand dune where it is going. It's not "going" anywhere. It's being shifted by the wind and gravity. Because the process is a fairly simple one, we can make predictions on where it is going, but it has no destination - just a trajectory.

Hmm but I think when people, specifically people/humans call existence into question it's less about the fact of something existing and thinking more on the reason why. Objects exist because they were created and have a said purpose same could be said for anything found in nature. Their existence isn't called into question because as far as a person can tell it's not self-aware. Existence is questioned from a person's mind. And typically to their own existence and not much else, hahaha.

People tend to question their existence cause life is hard to find a direction. So I think it makes people feel better to have a "purpose". And therefore it does matter, because to individuals existence has meaning. So telling a person you exist just because you do typically feels pretty empty and "not good enough" to them.

Or you could wonder human existence in general of how did we become conscious people who think in the manner that we do? How have we advanced in the world, and why are there so many different development differences in various parts of the world. For example why are some parts still in a tribal state while others have sought to continue to progress and develop.

Actually I find it all quite interesting, because you can track so much of today's history to various ancient civilizations such as Greeks, and Egyptians or uhh at some point Mesopotamian stuff comes in. However in that aspect I wonder where is that tribal stage for most of European stuff. I mean it's those countries that just developed rapidly and put us in the world we are in today. Whereas other areas Mayans and such were either wiped out by the snobby white people or we have tribes left intact today and yet they don't grow. For example there are still tribes in various parts of South America which stay tribal. They don't advance. Which is interesting since most cultures have history of advancement. What caused certain areas to stagnant?

Though that said certain areas got screwed, like Africa, where various countries basically just continuously screwed them over and just dumped and forced their ways on it. Actually you have to wonder a little if tribes in Africa or even Native American tribes in The U.S were left to their own devices where would they be? Would they have advanced like European countries? (and I say European because I dunno what else to call it, since they're the hardest to track back to an ancient civilization, cause even Ancient Greece is far more advanced than people who live in straw huts and such. Even though Egypt is now part of the Middle East who's development is not quite on the same page as the rest of the world. And when I say development I mean cities and technology and such)

FionaK
view post Posted on 23/3/2012, 20:45

QUOTE (Stafal @ 21/3/2012, 22:37) 
Hmm but I think when people, specifically people/humans call existence into question it's less about the fact of something existing and thinking more on the reason why. Objects exist because they were created and have a said purpose same could be said for anything found in nature.

I am not sure what you mean here. I do not personally think that things "in nature" were "created and have a said purpose". Is this a religious viewpoint?

Their existence isn't called into question because as far as a person can tell it's not self-aware. Existence is questioned from a person's mind. And typically to their own existence and not much else, hahaha.

Their existence seems to me to be called into question quite extensively because a "creator god" seems to be quite a common notion in different cultures, so far as I can tell. A lot of mythology purports to account for the existence of more things than man, and certainly more than the individual. Indeed I cannot presently think of any origin myth which pertains to the individual person. There may be some I do not know of, however

People tend to question their existence cause life is hard to find a direction. So I think it makes people feel better to have a "purpose". And therefore it does matter, because to individuals existence has meaning. So telling a person you exist just because you do typically feels pretty empty and "not good enough" to them.

You may well be right about this. But I can honestly say that I have never found any reason to ask this kind of question at all. We are told that this is pretty universal and it may be that I am odd in this way. But it is also true that I was brought up atheist and such speculation did not occur to me spontaneously: I was told this was a line of questioning which has importance for mankind and indeed I could not read around at random without encountering the idea. So I had a brief flirtation with it in my early teenage years and decided it makes no sense and that there is no possility of answers. It has never bothered me and it certainly doesn't feel "empty". To me that outlook is taught, and it was not taught to me. So I don't share it.

Stafal
view post Posted on 30/3/2012, 20:23

I'm not religious. Kinda like circle of life stuff? Herbivores eat the grass, keeping growth in check, carnivores eat the herbivores keepin populations in check. Birds and bees pollinate trees and flowers. That sorta "purpose" I guess.

Hmm I am atheist. But my family attempted to bring me up as a Catholic. I find religion irritating in most cases. And it's not something I follow at all. (In short I think it's a load of crap, but heyy to each their own) I think I question existence when I hit that, "Well what do I want to do with my life?" And also when I was sorta depressed before, you kinda ask yourself "well damn why am I here?" Apart from the obvious well my mom and dad decided...blah blah blah. You ask yourself this probably due to depression of not wanting to deal with your own life and such.

Mythology has pointed to the existence of things other than man. A lot of things probably do. But man doesn't like to think the world doesn't revolve around himself or the mystery power in the sky. Hahahah ^_^

I find the whole people existing less interesting. Than my tangent on how the hell did we advance to where we're at sorta thing. Versus areas that did not. =) But it's semi-related

FionaK
view post Posted on 30/3/2012, 23:20

On that issue I think you raise a huge question.

In the first place I am inclined to question the value base which underpins your question. As I understand what you seem to be saying, you take the view that progress is measured by growth, and in particular the growth of cities and techology. I am not sure that is monolithic at all. I read somewhere that the average hunter/ gatherer society works a three day week to meet all their needs. I like the sound of that. I don't like the sound of primitive dentistry, though. So can we say that the good cannot be achieved without the bad? That it is in fact worth the price we pay, and that there is no alternative? I am not so sure.

10 replies since 18/2/2012, 23:02   147 views