Can the end, really justify the means?

« Older   Newer »
ex nihilo
view post Posted on 15/1/2012, 10:33

Discuss:

Edit: What I meant to say was, does a immoral action justify the concluding good action.

Edited by ex nihilo - 18/1/2012, 02:00

FionaK
view post Posted on 15/1/2012, 14:58

I am interested to know what else could justify means? Have you an alternative in mind?

Vorgoeth
view post Posted on 15/1/2012, 15:58

All action has consequence. All means lead to an end. I think the question is ridiculous, because a focus on means implies ignorance of the ends, an ignorance of consequence. And I think there are no means that would justify that.

Optimally, of course, the ends do not need to justify the means, as both will be acceptably moral. But if one were to choose a good means or and good end, one should always pick the end.

ex nihilo
view post Posted on 15/1/2012, 18:40

QUOTE (FionaK @ 15/1/2012, 21:58) 
I am interested to know what else could justify means? Have you an alternative in mind?

No, it is not meant to be a litral question. What I meant to say was if you do a bad thing because it will lead to a good thing. For example, killing someone to put them out of their missery. Is this right. Perhaps I should of explained this better...

FionaK
view post Posted on 15/1/2012, 23:28

The edit in your first post is backwards. I don't really know what you are asking now

ex nihilo
view post Posted on 17/1/2012, 19:01

Fixed (I think).

view post Posted on 17/1/2012, 20:42

Group:
Administrator

QUOTE (ex nihilo @ 15/1/2012, 10:33) 
Discuss:

Edit: What I meant to say was, does a immoral action justify the concluding good action.

What a difficult question!

I think what makes it difficult to answer for me is the definition of an end. I think the means are included in the end most of the time. Let's say you want to end poverty. Okay, that's invariably good. But the suggestion is you do it by killing all the poor people... The goal of ending poverty is "good". The means are solid: it will produce the result, in some sense. But it is not a "good" action for the poor. So in deciding the means, we chose "good" to mean: "good for the non-poor": after the massacre, the non-poor can live in the comfort of knowing there are no more poor people.

If the conclusion doesn't include the existence and well-being of those who are currently poor, in the example I just gave, then it's perhaps not a real "good" conclusion. The end follows from the means, which means the end can't be moral if the means produce immoral consequences.

6 replies since 15/1/2012, 10:33   124 views