Is Democracy a good thing?

« Older   Newer »
ex nihilo
view post Posted on 1/1/2012, 20:20

What do people think of Democracy here? This refer to both classical and mordern forms. The greeks had a system where whoever showed up for the day made the desisions. Unlike today were we elect representives who mainly get to be there through wealth or power (at least it seems to me). Plato theorised that Democracy would eventually lead to tyranny. But I would say it can also lead to oligarchy or other forms were power remains in a selective few. Who ever has most wealth and power has more influence. Also there is the threat of tyranny of the majoriety, were the majoriety suppresses the minoriety.

It is alright I suppouse but there are still problems with it.

FionaK
view post Posted on 4/1/2012, 22:19

Well I have already made my position on this clear: yes, democracy is a good thing, for reasons I set out in the OP of the "an alternative view" thread in Alternative Governments.

ex nihilo
view post Posted on 5/1/2012, 20:03

It is now clear that the concept of democracy is not valued as I had assumed: and it is sobering to find that it is not seen as worthy of defence. It is true that the abandonment of that system has been noted, and criticised in a minor key: but at the same time the ease with which it has been overturned in Greece and in Italy is, at least, suprising. Since this has happened I have seen it justified in terms of the fact that the elected politicians in those countries have approved it. In these circumstances it is evident that my own notion of the centrality of democracy is not universally shared: perhaps not even widely. I am at a loss to understand how this has come to be. Until recently even those on the very far right have tendered the tribute of vice to virtue in the efforts they have made to pretend that what they pursue is in some sense democratic: but that is now gone. This is a greater problem than any so far considered in this thread. It gives the lie to a distinction I entertained upthread between the perceived threats in the US and in Europe. That notion must now be abandoned.

In another thread I commented on the views expressed in one paper to the effect that the 4 countries most badly affected by the financial crisis have no tradition of democracy: certainly both Italy and Greece were under totalitarian rule within the last century, and for significant periods of time. Can we then argue that the willingness to abandon that system is confined to nations where the idea is not deep rooted? I think not. Although other countries have not abandoned the forms there is a very strong feeling in the UK, at least, that democracy is increasingly unresponsive to the needs and wishes of the people. That is also resonating with some in America, as evidenced by the Occupy movements: for at bottom that is the complaint, I would argue.

When the people are disenfranchised (which I think is the root of this) there is a danger that the value of democracy is undermined: it seems that often people do not see the problem as a subversion of democracy, but as a failure of it in functional terms. In short they assume that democracy was working as intended and was failing to meet the legitimate aspirations of the people: they do not seem to think that it was not working as intended, because power has been transferred from the democratic power to another body, as I think. This narrative has a long history, and a shameful one.

Nonetheless it is now important to consider the implications of a shift in the prevailing wisdom. For many years we have presumed that democracy is " the worst form of government except for all those others that have been tried." as Churchill said. That view was shared by left and right (or at least lip service was paid to it) and indeed we have fought many wars ostensibly to bring democracy to the third world etc. Or so we said. In face of the prevalence of that narrative it is truly surprising how easily it has been abandoned: how fragile our committment to it.

But it seems to me that it demands a consideration of other possible systems: we can no longer assume that democracy is desirable.

What Italy and, to a lesser extent, Greece, have decided to do, I would contend, is to adopt Plato's republic as a system of government. If that sounds extreme, you may find it instructive to read Popper's account of that in the "The open society and its enemies". Is this what we want?

Is this what you meant?

I don't suppouse you're refering to Karl Popper by any chance?
In all truth if the Greeks did go for a system like the one described in Plato's Republic,
I'd laugh so hard. I'm currently reading the book a second time now, and the thought
of them having mating festivals makes me giggle slightly.

I disagree with Churchills statment though. I believe there is no good political or govermental system.
Democracy - to me personally - seems to destroy itself in the end due to it being to unstable. There is also
the point of 'the tyranny of the majoriety'. I believe John Stuat Mill argued that it is not enough to have Democracy
alone as it will not protect the rights of minorietys. He suggested a Libral Democracy instead, but I think it is enevitable that
Goverments will ruin themselves (except if the remain in isolation like the japanese empire did I think e(n)do or pre-e(n)do period.)

FionaK
view post Posted on 5/1/2012, 20:59

Not really the post I was thinking of: it was the OP which set out my views on democracy, and since I think it answers some of the points you make I will quote it here:

The way I see it, everybody knows about the issues. They may not know about the same issues as you: they may not think the same issues are important as you do. But the notion that they do not know where their own interests lie is an odd one. In the end that is what people pursue, and so every one of them must be included. That is the point of democracy: it founds on a hypothesis that if everyone can have an equal influence on the uses of power, they will not be wholly exploited, for they will not allow that to happen, and they have the means to prevent it.

It seems to me inescapable that each of us is better informed about our own circumstances than about those of others: and that influences what we believe to be important. It also limits how far we can see the consequences of what we propose on the lives of those who are in different circumstances. We are not very good at that, even when we are trying: hell, we are not very good at seeing the consequences of what we do on ourselves, a lot of the time.

Of course people can be manipulated: We can certainly try to apply critical thinking, and that will help, but we can only apply it to the facts we have. And none of us have very many, in the scheme of things: government covers all sorts of things and we cannot know about them all: or even most of them. But there are limits to manipulation: there comes a point (it often seems surprisingly far down the line, admittedly) when the adverse consequences of policy on their lives cannot be spun or denied. It is ofen said that people do not starve in democracies: there is a chicken and egg question there, and it is not universal; but I think it is broadly true, and it is broadly a consequence of the democracy itself.

view post Posted on 6/1/2012, 00:34

Group:
Administrator

QUOTE (ex nihilo @ 5/1/2012, 20:03) 
I disagree with Churchills statment though. I believe there is no good political or govermental system.
Democracy - to me personally - seems to destroy itself in the end due to it being to unstable. There is also
the point of 'the tyranny of the majoriety'. I believe John Stuat Mill argued that it is not enough to have Democracy
alone as it will not protect the rights of minorietys. He suggested a Libral Democracy instead, but I think it is enevitable that
Goverments will ruin themselves (except if the remain in isolation like the japanese empire did I think e(n)do or pre-e(n)do period.)

I never read John Stuart Mill, but if that is one of his conclusions, it seems to be confirmed by recent trends in European politics: Democracy alone is not enough. There also needs to be something I'm terming a "democratic consciousness" - the conviction that your fellow man has the same rights and power as you do.

Power. That's the issue. Power corrupts, always. A state, being a body of power, is always doing criminal things - they always have. Just the degree to which they are wrong differs somewhat. Power wants to stay in power. Just watch those protests being beaten down. In that light, I would like to see the state disintegrate itself, and its election based democracies with it.

On the other hand, the state is currently indeed the best provider of a number of services (as mentioned in other threads, I think), such as infrastructure and health care. Perhaps it would be even better if that was European (or, in the end, global). But we first all have to agree that human rights are a serious business. And it seems we're not there yet. Not even in most of the European nations, where we are reverting the essential services, which should ensure our rights, to unaccountable private tyranny systems, a.k.a. corporations. Also here, I'm not entirely sure the state is the sole body who can organize it (once we get back to appreciating human rights), but seen from the here and now, it does seem to be our most realistic option: most of the systems are still somewhat intact and they do/did work. Maybe we can experiment and move on from the state organization at some point, but first we need to get our essential services in order. We do need the state for that, I think. And, inevitably, their democracy. Still beats dictatorships et al.

FionaK
view post Posted on 7/1/2012, 15:29

QUOTE (Vninect @ 5/1/2012, 23:34) 
Power. That's the issue. Power corrupts, always. A state, being a body of power, is always doing criminal things - they always have. Just the degree to which they are wrong differs somewhat. Power wants to stay in power. Just watch those protests being beaten down. In that light, I would like to see the state disintegrate itself, and its election based democracies with it.

There is always power. I agree it corrupts, but abolition of power is not possible, IMO. That is the point of Churchill's statement, I think. He did not say it was good, as ex nihilo suggests : he said it was the best of a bad bunch. I agree with that. The search for perfection is not very helpful if you do not think we are perfectable: and I don't.

If you wish to abolish the state, you have to consider whether you believe that the void will remain void: or if it will be filled by something else. I am interested in any idea which leads practically to the abolition of power: but I have not so far seen anything which leads me to believe it can be done. Any outline of what you would like to see?

On the other hand, the state is currently indeed the best provider of a number of services (as mentioned in other threads, I think), such as infrastructure and health care. Perhaps it would be even better if that was European (or, in the end, global). But we first all have to agree that human rights are a serious business. And it seems we're not there yet. Not even in most of the European nations, where we are reverting the essential services, which should ensure our rights, to unaccountable private tyranny systems, a.k.a. corporations. Also here, I'm not entirely sure the state is the sole body who can organize it (once we get back to appreciating human rights), but seen from the here and now, it does seem to be our most realistic option: most of the systems are still somewhat intact and they do/did work. Maybe we can experiment and move on from the state organization at some point, but first we need to get our essential services in order. We do need the state for that, I think. And, inevitably, their democracy. Still beats dictatorships et al.

Yes. I think it is really about "what kind of society do you want to live in?" Rawl's "Veil of Ignorance" is essentially a way of approaching that question: I think it is a good one. Maybe there are other, better approaches? Interested to hear of them if there are

Vorgoeth
view post Posted on 14/1/2012, 16:47

Coming in late to the conversation, I'm going to toss this in: democracy (alone) is a wonderful, functional thing on a small enough scale. Native Americans practised what amounts to democracy, and from what has been gathered, it worked extremely well because they lived as smaller tribes, with maybe a few hundred people. As such, everyone who had an opinion could easily discuss it with those of a differing opinion, and everyone who could vote could hear all opinions.

The larger the scale of a democratic society, the harder this becomes. EVERYONE has an opinion, and whether it's good or bad, everyone thinks their own opinions are good; why else hold it? That, however, is shaky ground. What it leads to is laziness. Have you ever heard someone's opinion, and noticed it's taken straight from a politicians mouth? Or from a tabloid? Newspaper? Any source but their own thought, their own ideas.

The reason for this, I think, is the devaluation of individuals. An individual voice is never loud enough, when you're dealing with millions of voices. A group can always accomplish more because their cumulative voice is louder; they have more power. This has created a feedback loop, where an individual thinks their own opinion does not matter, because it is only one voice. As such, many give in to the will of the group, which may well be outside the individual's needs or interest. Others, myself included, never speak their voice because it's drowned by groups.

When the will of the individual is this weak, however, it becomes susceptible to manipulation by the aforementioned politicians and newspapers, and groups based on these are formed because it seems to be the "right" opinion. In the absence of one's own idea, one adapts to others'. Politicians know this, and they use it. A base of power is formed.

I don't think it's the politicians fault. Nor do I think it's democracy's. Nor the groups'. The fault, if there is any to be found, is with the individual. And that is a problem, because the individual is also the only one who can affect a change for him- or herself. But the individual, in the society we've built up around ourselves, is weak.

The individual is weak because humanity has expanded to a point where the individual is irrelevant. We cannot, I think, truly comprehend the world, or a country, or even a city as a series of individuals; the sheer numbers defeat us. Our brains aren't equipped for it. The only way to understand the numbers is as a series of groups, whether they're political, social or ethnic. This leads to the "us or them" mentality, the others becoming an enemy. To work as a society, this is to be avoided. A group at war with itself is of no use to anyone.

...uh, I think I was leading this up to something, but I seem to have forgotten what that may have been.

ex nihilo
view post Posted on 14/1/2012, 20:44

QUOTE (Vorgoeth @ 14/1/2012, 23:47) 
Coming in late to the conversation, I'm going to toss this in: democracy (alone) is a wonderful, functional thing on a small enough scale. Native Americans practised what amounts to democracy, and from what has been gathered, it worked extremely well because they lived as smaller tribes, with maybe a few hundred people.

I think what they practiced was closer to anarcho-communism, as I think democracy requires a state normaly (Can't confirm, this is just an assertion with no evidance to back it up. So feel free to correct me if I'm wrong). There are simmilarities between the two however.

Vorgoeth
view post Posted on 14/1/2012, 21:07

My point there was not that it *was* democracy, just that they possessed a voting system which resembles democracy, and which worked. Mind you, this is second-hand knowledge, I don't know about much of any of this. But the Native Americans are really secondary to what I was talking about, just a convenient real-world example plucked from memory, which is admittedly flawed.

ex nihilo
view post Posted on 15/1/2012, 10:27

QUOTE (Vorgoeth @ 15/1/2012, 04:07) 
My point there was not that it *was* democracy, just that they possessed a voting system which resembles democracy, and which worked. Mind you, this is second-hand knowledge, I don't know about much of any of this. But the Native Americans are really secondary to what I was talking about, just a convenient real-world example plucked from memory, which is admittedly flawed.

Sorry, I believe what I said was a fallacy, but I forgot which one. But I think democracy can sort-of work if states are small like you said. Plato was quite in favour of small city states as they were easier to control and there would be either less corruption or at least it would be easier to control. I think plato would be turning in his grave if he saw what we currently call democracy, compared to the original athenean model.

FionaK
view post Posted on 16/1/2012, 10:35

Plato was a proto-fascist. He opposed democracy in any form and I actually think he would be very happy with the current situation. He would have preferred the oligarchy to be composed a little differently, maybe, but he would not have had any problem with a true oligarchy disguised as democracy: he had no difficulty with subterfuge in the interests of stability and the ruling group.

I do not think that the size of the polity is the problem, really. City states were also easily manipulated by the orators of the day and smallness was no defence against the kind of problem Vorgoeth identifies.

ex nihilo
view post Posted on 17/1/2012, 19:19

QUOTE (FionaK @ 16/1/2012, 17:35) 
Plato was a proto-fascist. He opposed democracy in any form and I actually think he would be very happy with the current situation. He would have preferred the oligarchy to be composed a little differently, maybe, but he would not have had any problem with a true oligarchy disguised as democracy: he had no difficulty with subterfuge in the interests of stability and the ruling group.

I do not think that the size of the polity is the problem, really. City states were also easily manipulated by the orators of the day and smallness was no defence against the kind of problem Vorgoeth identifies.

No, I know that. What I meant to say that democracy at his time was completely diffrent from how it is now. He was something closer to a proto-facist or authoritian conservative like you said, who wanted society to be ruled by philosophical kings. He probably grew to dislike democracy at the time because the democrats accused socrates for corrupting the minds of the young, and forced him to commit suiside.

I don't think he wanted an oligarchy, last time I read he wanted something closer to a timocracy which had oligaric elements to it. He said that timocracy is corrupted and become oligarchy if I remeber correctly. Just finished my second read now.

Smallness, yes: is easier to manipulate and control. The bigger it is the less easy it is to control and the factions will appear in society. I think smallness helps for controling states and battling corruption if these things are considered desirable. If one wanted democracy personally I would believe it would function better if it was small and easy to manage.

FionaK
view post Posted on 17/1/2012, 19:38

He disliked democracy because he was a rich bastard, from family which included members of the thirty tyrants: I do not think it was anything to do with the fate of Socrates.

As to the difference between timocracy and oligarchy: a distinction without a difference IMO. Timocracy merely establishes qualifications for membership in the ruling class as property ownership. Usual figleaf of "noblesse oblige" but nothing of substance beyond rule by a small number of rich people. He did not even admit of social mobility, which in some cases serves as a partial justification for timocracy. He was just a bastard with a chip on his shoulder, so far as I can see.

Your third paragraph appears to be internally contradictory. I don't follow

ex nihilo
view post Posted on 18/1/2012, 13:52

QUOTE (FionaK @ 18/1/2012, 02:38) 
He disliked democracy because he was a rich bastard, from family which included members of the thirty tyrants: I do not think it was anything to do with the fate of Socrates.

As to the difference between timocracy and oligarchy: a distinction without a difference IMO. Timocracy merely establishes qualifications for membership in the ruling class as property ownership. Usual figleaf of "noblesse oblige" but nothing of substance beyond rule by a small number of rich people. He did not even admit of social mobility, which in some cases serves as a partial justification for timocracy. He was just a bastard with a chip on his shoulder, so far as I can see.

Your third paragraph appears to be internally contradictory. I don't follow

I see you have strong opinions of him, which I can understand. But it is probably better to be less emotive about it for the sake of a rational disscusion (which I know I have broken... alot on this forum). Perhaps, he didn't see the need for social mobility as he was unaware of the consequences of not having it. Or he thought that people were irrational, and needed rational leaders to rule over them. Social mobility is a fairly recent idea anyway, stemed I believe from the liberal ideoligy. I think the death of Socrates played a large role in his dislike in the democratic goverment, and that he was related to the thirteen tyrants. Yes, I seem to remeber that. But you must also remeber he was oppoused to tyranny as well, as tyrants were in his opinion irrational.

The greeks were a slave run culture as well, so people had a lot of time on their hands to think, write, prefom in public hearing, est. Both rich and poor alike (unless you were a landless peasant) I don't think that would be a reason why he hated democracy. I personally think he didn't like it due to the tyranny of the majoriety. To me, he put foward quite good critisism of it. His alternative to it however, suffers from to many problems. Your right though when you say there is very little differance between timocracy and oligarchy.

As for my third paragraph, I'm going to be lazy for now and not replie. So for now, until I replie to my mistake. I am probably wrong.

FionaK
view post Posted on 18/1/2012, 22:25

Emotive? Maybe. I call it like I see it.

He was perfectly well aware of social mobility: people could become slaves in his time: and because there was a democracy they could also achieve power without being born to it. He did not approve of it either way (though he did not mind slavery for non- greeks, iirc). Social mobility is as old as humanity. Like a lot of other ideas it is always there as an aspiration: not always available, also like other things.

Opposed to tyranny? That would be after his stint as adviser to a tyrant? He got pissed off because the tyrant was a tyrant: that is he did what he liked and not what Plato told him. Can't see he had any moral objection to tyranny so long as he was the tyrant.

39 replies since 1/1/2012, 20:20   540 views