Can we persuade the rich to stop being greedy?

« Older   Newer »
view post Posted on 30/12/2011, 19:08

Group:
Administrator

Answered quite interestingly by Howard Zinn:

www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&feature=fvwp&v=ZcnSd2rVs38

In short, his answer is: We can't persuade people to stop being greedy. But we can scare them into the right behaviour. His example is an attempt to desegregate a big store. Rational arguments didn't work. A boycott did.

But while that may work for corporations - we do have some (albeit limited and difficult to attain) power over them through our wallets - I don't see such a way for individual wealth accumulation. Can we stop individuals from being greedy? Or is the only way top down, through taxation and regulation?

FionaK
view post Posted on 30/12/2011, 19:37

I think we can. It has taken 30 years, and a lot of concerted effort, to get us within striking distance of "greed is good". That shows that it is not inherent, and therefore it can be reversed.

Having said that you cannot change the existence of greed: you can make it ashamed to show its face, though. That is not nothing

ex nihilo
view post Posted on 31/12/2011, 19:59

I think the rich may have to experiance what it is like to be poor if you are going to change their mind set. However, I feel that even this won't work in some cases.

FionaK
view post Posted on 31/1/2012, 13:38

Been having another think about this.

First: are the rich greedy? To accept that assumption we have to show that their attitude to wealth is different from that of the rest of us. Not sure we can do that. Greed is defined as an excessive desire to acquire more than one needs or deserves. I suspect that no-one would fall within that definition in their own mind. For example, the very rich tell themselves, and tell the rest of us, that they do indeed deserve their rewards. They create wealth for the benefit of all and they do it because of their rare talents and energy, and all of those good things. But if you look at the rich west in comparison with the very poorest in the world, do we not say the same thing? If you look at the "comfortably off" in comparison with the poorest in our own society do we not take the same position?

Greed is a character trait, really. It is obvious that most do not see themselves as greedy: so is it then defined by others? Necessarily, I would say. But that fact of itself provides the wealthy with a perfect defence against the charge. Like all of us they judge their position with reference to their peers: few are very aware of those very far below them or above them in terms of wealth. So when charged with greed they look around them and see people much like themselves. They then tell themselves that all those people are justly rewarded and those who do not enjoy the same wealth are jealous: that is the "politics of envy" and again it personalises. This focus on individual, rather than systemic or societal elements, is a big part of the right wing mindset. It is one of the great divides.

If it is true that the rich would only change their minds if they experienced poverty then we have no hope, for there is no practical way of doing that (well there is: China sent rich people to work in the fields during the cultural revolution. I find that reasonably attractive because it gives direct effect to the veil of ignorance: but most people think it is horrific, and I doubt it can be implemented for political reasons). I agree with ex nihilo that even if it could be done it would not be effective in every case: for some of them must be honest and so if they actually became poor under current arrangements they would accept that as a just outcome. Suspect they would be few, but there must be some.

As it happens I do not believe that. I think it is perfectly possible for the rich to remain like the rest of us if we change the cultural climate. It seems to me that the current prevailing ideology has affected all of us: and so we see the focus on the individual character ascendant: as I said that thread of analysis has been effectively promoted over 30 years: and we are all complicit. The rich will change when we change: for they, too, are us.

3 replies since 30/12/2011, 19:08   142 views