If a tree fell down...

« Older   Newer »
ex nihilo
view post Posted on 15/12/2011, 13:44

If a tree fell down in the middle of the woods and no one was there to hear it, would it make a noise?

view post Posted on 15/12/2011, 21:21

Group:
Administrator

Yes, because noise can be defined as a vibration of air, whether it is perceived by auditory senses or not.

We roughly defined noise -sound- as those vibration that we can hear. So if there were never ears, at all, then it wouldn't have been called a noise, and you couldn't ask this question. But there are, and we did define the type of vibrations caused by a falling tree as noise, so it's still noise when nobody is around.

Now, I did assume there that this particular tree will make a noise when it falls, based on the fact that all trees we observed so far while falling, made a noise. The old induction problem. We can't be entirely sure that all trees are noisy when they fall, just because we've only seen trees that produce noise when they fall. There is a theoretical chance that this particular tree will produce a rainbow instead, or an identical copy of the mona lisa. But for practical reasons, we usually ignore those chances, which serves us quite well in predicting what will come out of a certain event. Especially in simple systems like trees falling. (Though, to predict what the exact noise will be, or how the tree will land are again impossible to predict with accuracy, even with the most advanced computers, because of chaos effects.)

Last thing: Are animals and bugs also not around? They can sense noise. But many of them might not be able to understand it came from a falling tree, because they don't understand causality like we do. Also, they won't remember. Are things or events that nobody remembers or understands, "things" or "events" at all?

ex nihilo
view post Posted on 15/12/2011, 21:40

But if no one heard it, then how can we gurantee it made a sound? Obviously we have seen trees falling to the ground - like you said - so it would seem accurate to suggest it would fall using Logic. But this would only mean it would probably make a sound.

It could also be argued that if we cannot precieve the tree falling, it does not exist. So therfore no sound would be made. This goes back to the philosopher David Hume, who suggested if we cannot experiance something, we cannot gurantee that it exists. In otherwords, perhaps our senses decieve us and there is nothing there when we do not precieve it.

As for the vibrations in the air counting as sound, true but it also does not count as sound. This goes back to cultural releitism where it is belevied that what is true depends on what the culture thinks is true. For example, in some cultures a plane is the same as an insect in name. While others it is completely diffrent. So, one could argue they are both true in their individual culture. The same could apply for the concept of sound.

Edited by ex nihilo - 17/12/2011, 21:37

view post Posted on 15/12/2011, 22:17

Group:
Administrator

QUOTE (ex nihilo @ 15/12/2011, 21:40) 
But if no one heard it, then how can we gurantee it made a sound. Obviously we have seen trees falling to the ground - like you said - so it would seem accurate to suggest it would fall using Logic. But this would only mean it would probably make a sound.

It could also be argued that if we cannot precieve the tree falling, it does not exist. So therfore no sound would be made. This goes back to the philosopher David Hume, who suggested if we cannot experiance something, we cannot gurantee that it exists. In otherwords, perhaps our senses decieve us and there is nothing there when we do not precieve it.

Yes, but that would make it a moot question, wouldn't it? If something that probably doesn't exist does something, does it make a sound? Indeed, probably not. But since the existence of the tree is implied in the question, I think we must acknowledge its theoretical existence at least, including its falling. Or we could ask no hypothetical questions at all.

As for the vibrations in the air counting as sound, true but it also does not count as sound. This goes back to cultural releitism where it is belevied that what is true depends on what the culture thinks is true. For example, in some cultures a plane is the same as an insect in name. While others it is completely diffrent. So, one could argue they are both true in their individual culture. The same could apply for the concept of sound.

I assumed we shared enough culture to agree on the meaning of sound, being that which is audible. If you wish to talk about a different "sound", I think it should be defined, and we can use that definition for the length of this discussion.. Or indeed, think of another word for it, when your definition is so far off the commonly used definition of "sound", that it would be confusing to use the same word.

ex nihilo
view post Posted on 16/12/2011, 10:20

QUOTE (Vninect @ 16/12/2011, 05:17) 
Yes, but that would make it a moot question, wouldn't it? If something that probably doesn't exist does something, does it make a sound? Indeed, probably not. But since the existence of the tree is implied in the question, I think we must acknowledge its theoretical existence at least, including its falling. Or we could ask no hypothetical questions at all.

Point taken. Even so, perhaps it does exist but because we are not there to precieve it we cannot gurantee what the action of the tree falling would be. Some mysterious occurance could happen, which only happens when we are not around in which the act of a tree falling does not produce a sound.

I assumed we shared enough culture to agree on the meaning of sound, being that which is audible. If you wish to talk about a different "sound", I think it should be defined, and we can use that definition for the length of this discussion.. Or indeed, think of another word for it, when your definition is so far off the commonly used definition of "sound", that it would be confusing to use the same word.

That is one critisism of cultural relitivsm, but let us use this hypothesis. Suppouse there was a culture of deth people who had a diffrent concept of sound to which we do. Even though they experiance sound, there experiance of it is diffrent to ours. It is not so much 'hearing' in which they precieve it but vibrations which are felt in the air. So to them, sound is not audiable but felt. (Not to sure if this relivant to your critism, so if it isn't. Sorry and please correct me).

view post Posted on 16/12/2011, 15:40

Group:
Administrator

QUOTE (ex nihilo @ 16/12/2011, 10:20) 
Point taken. Even so, perhaps it does exist but because we are not there to precieve it we cannot gurantee what the action of the tree falling would be. Some mysterious occurance could happen, which only happens when we are not around in which the act of a tree falling does not produce a sound.

Yes, there's two ways to get there. The one is Hume's, in which you doubt the principle of causality. Just because X has always happened when Y, that doesn't mean it always will.

The other is the solipsistic view. That is: anything outside our field doesn't happen at all. In fact, I am the only person on earth who is real, and I am imagining all of you as I go. If I can see a tree fall in the far distance, but I am out of the range of the sound, it did not in fact make a sound.

Which do you prefer? ^_^

That is one critisism of cultural relitivsm, but let us use this hypothesis. Suppouse there was a culture of deth people who had a diffrent concept of sound to which we do. Even though they experiance sound, there experiance of it is diffrent to ours. It is not so much 'hearing' in which they precieve it but vibrations which are felt in the air. So to them, sound is not audiable but felt. (Not to sure if this relivant to your critism, so if it isn't. Sorry and please correct me).

Yes, I suppose it is relevant. But I think they would call it sound if it was still a very different sensation than any other pressures they could feel. They would learn that we call these specific pressures sound, and then we are talking about the same thing again when we mention sound. Which is how communication works, of course: by sharing similar words for similar concepts.

If they wouldn't be able to discern sound from, say, a spinning fan that causes air ripples, then we'd find it very hard to talk about the sound of a falling tree. But I think all of this has more to do with communication about the sound of a falling tree, rather than the fundamental question of there being sound at all. So perhaps I'm getting too far OT.

ex nihilo
view post Posted on 16/12/2011, 20:54

No, It's ok. You can carry on if you want. I need as much critism/counter-critisism as I can get. I need it if I am to question things more. :D

FionaK
view post Posted on 17/12/2011, 00:07

I am firmly with Hume on this:he concludes we probably cant know, so let's have a drink :)

Lord Muck oGentry
view post Posted on 17/12/2011, 02:19

QUOTE (ex nihilo @ 15/12/2011, 13:44) 
If a tree fell down in the middle of the woods and no one was there to hear it, would it make a noise?

But if no one heard it, then how can we gurantee it made a sound.

You have two questions there, not one. Even if the answers are Yes, of course and Not at all [ in that order] , nothing exciting follows.

ex nihilo
view post Posted on 17/12/2011, 14:40

Changed the linguistical mistake.

It's suppoused to make people think. I try not to give my opinion strait away as I want to see if anyone else can enlighten my first.

9 replies since 15/12/2011, 13:44   172 views