American Airlines' Bankruptcy

« Older   Newer »
view post Posted on 10/12/2011, 22:22

Group:
Administrator

Extra-ordinarily bizarre story of a healthy firm filing for bankruptcy.

Having $4 billion in the bank is not your typical definition of broke. That’s why American Airlines’ parent company AMR surprised a bunch of people — particularly, one presumes, the five Wall Street analysts who still rated the company’s shares a “buy” — when it filed for bankruptcy on Tuesday. Its comfy nest egg aside, American isn’t facing any looming debt payments. The company said it didn’t need emergency financing, like most bankrupt firms do. It fact, it said that its cash on hand along with cash being generated by its operations was more than enough to continue to pay off vendors and business partners on time and in full. What’s more, American has no plans to call off its planned purchase of 460 planes over the next decade. Nor does it think it will have any problem getting the $13 billion it needs in financing to do so. Where was the cash crisis that put the company over the edge?

Link: http://curiouscapitalist.blogs.time.com/20...hey-used-to-be/

American Airlines is doing well. Except their pesky workers appear to want a piece of that pie. How to get rid of their complaints? You file bankruptcy, apparently.

So why are more companies filing for bankruptcy when it doesn’t appear they have to? In the case of American Airlines, the company said in a press release the main reason it was filing for bankruptcy was to “address our cost structure, including labor costs.” American and its unions had been negotiating for a while and had come to no agreement. Other airlines have used bankruptcy as a way to force its workers to take lower paychecks and benefits. American Airlines wants the ability to do that, too. And it’s not just the airline industry. Car parts manufacturer Delphi Corp. was accused of unfairly using the bankruptcy process to eliminate most of its U.S. workforce and ship those jobs overseas.

How, exactly, is this not evil? It seems like an utterly nasty trick to pull.

FionaK
view post Posted on 11/12/2011, 00:12

Hey, Vninect. You do not believe in absolute morality, remember? So this cannot be evil: it is merely alternate morality informed by cultural (corporate) values. Within that culture maximising shareholder value is the route to heaven and it is also what they are legally obliged to do. This is just an extension of ways to virtue

I do believe in absolute morality, however; so I am quite happy to say it is evil.

view post Posted on 11/12/2011, 00:47

Group:
Administrator

Corporate culture, goals and values are all quite nice in themselves, but they are still set up by humans, who have responsibilities towards each other. If some people make up a game, an alternate universe, in which shareholder value is top priority, they still have no right to abandon those responsibilities. If their game conflicts with the responsibilities, virtual reality must yield.

FionaK
view post Posted on 11/12/2011, 01:12

Welcome to the world of absolute morality: glad to have you aboard ;)

view post Posted on 11/12/2011, 02:04

Group:
Administrator

I didn't say anything about the nature of these basic responsibilities. I just applied a hierarchy in which they are more important than those in the virtual constructs we build... :P

FionaK
view post Posted on 11/12/2011, 02:19

Which is normative. Which makes you a moral absolutist.

view post Posted on 11/12/2011, 10:29

Group:
Administrator

Bah.

????????????? ???
view post Posted on 2/2/2015, 12:29

?????!?????????????????????????????| |?????? ??????Facebook?????????????????|????????????????????????????????????????????! ??????????? ?????

view post Posted on 2/2/2015, 23:48

Group:
Administrator

Came to remind me of that time I got schooled?????????????????????||????

8 replies since 10/12/2011, 22:22   102 views