Seems possible that physics will have to be rewritten, Cern seems to show neutrinos faster than light

« Older   Newer »
FionaK
view post Posted on 23/9/2011, 02:29

www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-15017484

They are treating this very, very cautiously: but it looks important. I don't understand the implications, but apparently if it is confirmed the Theory of Relativity is not correct. In one way I hope that is true, cos I could never get my head round it: so maybe something simpler will take its place? Hmm....thought not <_<

view post Posted on 23/9/2011, 13:03

Group:
Administrator

All bets are on technical error at this point. Including, probably, the bets of the people who measured it. They'll need years of scrutiny and independent confirmation before they'll start to discard current theories.

FionaK
view post Posted on 23/9/2011, 13:07

That is true, Vninect: the implications of such a result are so big that they are very reluctant to accept them. Nonetheless if this were a smaller finding the sheer number of experimental results tending in the same directon would have given it quite a lot of weight. I think it is right that they are looking for independent confirmation: reproducibility is the best test of results. But there are not many LHC's so far as I know so that will perhaps be a long time coming

view post Posted on 23/9/2011, 14:06

Group:
Administrator

True, but they can now build some machines specifically for that purpose, which may be smaller in size and cost: they will know what to look for. So probably they won't need to replicate an entire LHC.

FionaK
view post Posted on 23/9/2011, 14:13

Yes. Hopefully that will happen: or maybe there is already equipment which can be used to replicate these experiments without need for something new and expensive. Either way the caution is laudable.

Edited by FionaK - 23/9/2011, 15:00

FionaK
view post Posted on 23/9/2011, 14:59

http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/the-lay-...23/1?CMP=twt_gu

It is quite interesting that this person is concerned that the findings were overhyped: because that is not my impression at all. I did not see the reuter's report: but the bbc one I linked made it very clear there was a lot of uncertainty and lack of confidence in these results. I do not feel I have been misled in any way. I wonder if there is a tendency to paranoia whenever any scientific paper is released to the public for discussion. I do know that there have been instances in the past when overblown claims were made in the press. Has that done harm? Perhaps in medical matters, and I think that is due a great deal of care. But I cannot see what I can do with particle physics even if I am persuaded by imprudent journalists that relativity is now defunct. I doubt that belief will have any consequences for me at all for the presumably short time I would hold it before the flaws were found.

What is the concern here?

view post Posted on 23/9/2011, 18:29

Group:
Administrator

What's the problem with a few Truthers believing it was an inside job until the facts came out? I think they just recognize that people have bad defences against facts that later appear to be wrong.

http://youarenotsosmart.com/2011/06/10/the-backfire-effect/ (The backfire effect)

www.duplication.net.au/ANZMAC09/papers/ANZMAC2009-244.pdf (Lingering effects of disproved facts in commercial brands)

https://thosebigwords.forumcommunity.net/?t=46738917 (Thread on continued influence effect)

FionaK
view post Posted on 24/9/2011, 09:53

We will have to agree to differ on this Vninect. To me, what you seem to be arguing amounts to censorship. While I think that censorship may be justifiable in some very limited circumstances I do not think we can or should support it as a principle. I recognise that the opposition to censorship can be naive since it often omits the passive censorship which attends unequal access: but that is a separate issue, I think.

There is an interesting article by Ben Goldacre which appeared yesterday, coincidentally: and I think it does a good job of setting out the issues and how they should be approached

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/20...ce-ben-goldacre

What is required is not the withholding of information: but the honest presentation of what has been found. To me the BBC article did that and I do not think it is in any way comparable with what Sigman and "The Biologist" did. Yet the charge is that they are the same in content and in effect. I don't think they are

view post Posted on 24/9/2011, 13:14

Group:
Administrator

That is a brilliant article you posted.

As for censorship: I'm not saying they should censor, and I'm not arguing to uphold censorship in principle. You were asking if overblown statements have done any harm. In the case of anything real, you say they should be careful. Then you dismissed such concern for particle physics. I think you're wrong. They do cause something. In the case of Truthers, nothing in their lives changes whether it is an inside job or not. When the facts show that the 2 towers could come down on their own, they still uphold their alternative theory. There's not much you can do about that, and censorship would have helped nobody. But it is a major distraction. But perhaps the harm in conspiracy theories is for another topic. What I'm arguing for is that making overblown statements, even about something as "irrelevant" as particle physics, can cause harm, because it sticks around, and may fuel alternative theories that help nobody, immediately or in the future.

FionaK
view post Posted on 24/9/2011, 13:41

I am opposed to overblown claims too: I thought I made that clear. I just don't think it happened in this instance: at least not in the new outlets I read.

view post Posted on 24/9/2011, 13:48

Group:
Administrator

Apparently it did happen, somewhere. And there was concern over it. You asked why. I tried to come up with an answer. Confusion arose.

FionaK
view post Posted on 24/9/2011, 14:12

Aye: I suppose I just didn't think it had happened

bobc
view post Posted on 8/10/2011, 18:27

I would not worry just yet ;) I understand the estimated discrepancy in travel time of the neutrinos is 10ns, the resolution of the timing is also 10ns. It's a pretty tentative result.

Whenever famous theories or famous scientists are challenged, there is always a tempting headline for the sub-ed "X was wrong", "The theory of X is wrong". Even New Scientist puts "Why Darwin was wrong" on their front cover. The text of the article is invariably less sensational, and by the end may conclude that X was not really wrong at all. The media always sell their stories by creating drama, and for that they need a step change, preferably a reversal. A headline that says "scientists understand the world slightly more than they did before" is not going to sell.

So the idea that there is a fairly comprehensive and fixed understanding of the universe is largely a media creation. Of course, knowledge is progressing continually, and mostly in small steps. Physics, despite being spectacularly successful, is still struggling with some pretty concepts of space, time, matter and energy. There are several pretty significant discrepancies between theory and what we observe. We recently discover that observation only accounts for some 4% of the universe, the rest is "dark", and unknown.

FionaK
view post Posted on 29/10/2011, 17:31

http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2011/oct...os-faster-light

They are to do new experiments to see if they can confirm the results. Just as it should be. There is something pleasing in this

Iridur
view post Posted on 2/11/2011, 21:44

Apparently this is a mistake due to the paralaxis error (the gps satelites verus the ground instruments an their relative movement) but honestly, I listened about this on a SGU podcasts while walking from my mom's to my place and I didn't go deeper into it (nor on this thread)

Not quite, but then again...

http://arxiv.org/abs/1110.2685

There's a "paper" on the controversy over this topic;

http://www.theskepticsguide.org/archive/po...x?mid=1&pid=327

Here's the link to the podcast reference guide.

Edited by Iridur - 2/11/2011, 22:02

29 replies since 23/9/2011, 02:29   261 views