Eat insects!

« Older   Newer »
FionaK
view post Posted on 7/9/2011, 21:14

There is a programme on the radio right now which is examining the benefits of eating insects. They are cheap; apparently they are tasty; they do not pose a disease risk; many people do already eat them and there is only prejudice which makes us find it distasteful. If we could overcome that we could help to solve the world food crisis: all very reasonable

However it occurs to me that this is another step in a worrying phenomenon: it seems to me that we are eating our way down the food chain. That doesn't look like a good idea in the long run, does it?

Iridur
view post Posted on 8/11/2011, 19:45

I have heard the BBC podcast version of this. And honestly, I felt compelled to eat a fried cricket. However, what doesn't sound like a good idea is the potential for new diseases/plagues with escaped populations and such.

view post Posted on 8/11/2011, 20:47

Group:
Administrator

I have eaten fried cricket and crickets in chocolate. Didn't much like it. The legs are like little annoying sticks without taste.

FionaK
view post Posted on 8/11/2011, 21:23

Well presumably if we are going to do this it won't be long before we breed them to be a different shape and texture.

Stafal
view post Posted on 12/11/2011, 00:08

O_o....I mean I heard they aren't bad but there is a little bit of a mental game that comes into play when you would attempt to eat something. Bugs are pretty creepy looking. I'm usually pretty game to try just about anything but idk I think I'd struggle with this. I am pretty accepting of weird tastes but odd textures just freak me out.

@ Fiona, Hahaha and then bugs will become as unhealthy and chemically altered as chickens? <<;

4 replies since 7/9/2011, 21:14   64 views