NHS privatisation

« Older   Newer »
FionaK
view post Posted on 3/9/2011, 11:56

www.vimeo.com/26379391

The Government's bill to "reform" the NHS is to be debated on Tuesday and Wednesday. There is little hope it will not pass and we are once again dependent on the Lords to block it

This video makes the case in defence of the NHS: it is very good.

I do not know if we can stop this: but there is nothing left of the UK if we don't: we should just acknowledge that we are not longer British or european if this goes through. It is horrifying

FionaK
view post Posted on 23/9/2011, 13:02

www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/20...-private-sector

Not a democracy any more, either, argues the author of this piece. The article takes the view that this has been the game plan for 25 years. I agree with both propositions.

Since the democratic process has clearly failed utterly in this case (though it had taken a long time to subvert it and a great deal of money and many steps) it seems to me that there is a case for asking for a referendum on this one issue. We don't have a hybrid system in the UK in line with that in Scandinavia: and I am not sure how effective that is. There is precedent only for constitutional changes. But UHC is so central to my notion of what the state is for; and the change to the role of government as the provider of core essential services so much a break with post war history, that I think this really does amount to constitutional change. The people should have veto on this, IMO

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/20...mesh?intcmp=239

Q & A section below the main article here

FionaK
view post Posted on 12/10/2011, 19:08

The last ditch attempt to stop the NHS bill has failed: the Lords rejected a proposed amendment which would have required key parts leading to privatisation to be scrutinised by a dedicated committee. This is a very sad day indeed :(

FionaK
view post Posted on 10/11/2011, 12:15

The first transfer of a hospital to a private company is now agreed: Hinchingbrooke Hospital is to be taken over by a firm called Circle Health.

Circle Health presents itself as if it were a worker's cooperative and is described in the press as the "John Lewis of health care" because 49.9% of it is owned by a partnership of employees: so that sounds good, I suppose.

Circle Health is a subsidiary of Circle Holdings, and that company owns the rest of it. Circle Holdings is run by one Ali Parsadoust who is a former vice president of Goldman Sachs. In 2010 Circle Health's accounts showed losses of £27.4 million. It is incorporated in Jersey, which is a well known tax haven

Circle Holdings is not the ultimate owner of Circle Health, however, because it is itself owned through a complicated structure with bases in tax havens such as Jersey and the British Virgin Islands. 28.9% of it is owned by a hedge fund company called Lansdowne UK,(domiciled in the Cayman Islands) founded by Tory party donor Paul Ruddock. A further 16.6% is owned by Odey Asset Management and its founder, Crispin Odey, is also a Tory party donor. A company called Balderton Capital III owns 16.9% and the rest is owned by BlueCrest Venture Finance Master Fund (14.9%) and Blackrock (12.9%) Circle holdings was part floated on the stock exchange Alternative Investments Market in June 2011, and it reported the flotaton raised £45.3 million. It is reported that makes the total value of the company £95.4 million: the contract to run Hinchingbrooke is to provide Circle Health with £1 billion over 10 years.

Circle Health was founded in 2004 by a surgeon called Massoud Fouladi, now its clinical Director, and Ali Parsadoust (known as Ali Parsa). They say that they have a vision of "empowering" patients and clinicians, and that is the reason for the "partnership" structure. Also included in their aims is fast growth so as to "empower" as many health care professionals as possible in order to help the largest number of patients: all very laudable. I find it rather disturbing that the account of their "vision" includes this statement: " This model seeks to ensure that the interests of the financial institutions, founders and employees will always be aligned.". It is not that I don't believe them: but it is very much in tune with some things Vninect said in the "Future of the Architecture Student" thread: it is likely they will be aligned if they all agree that making money is their primary interest: and that is not what I want from a "health care professional".

Circle Health has been running a day hospital in Nottingham which is said to have spectacularly good results: and it also has a new, state of the art hospital in Bath, which is also said to perform extremely well. This is taken as proof that the model is good and that the company is competent: well perhaps. "Productivity" at Nottingham is the measure of that but it is compared with NHS provision which has to deliver the full range of service: which Circle does not. A brand new hospital which also does not provide the full range of service is also not directly comparable with NHS hospitals and I would rather expect high patient satisfaction (which it reports) if the service is limited, and the buildings and equipment are new: however I notice it is staffed by NHS personnel seconded for the purpose: I wonder what the results would be like if they had to train their own staff? Who knows. What I do find disturbing is that this company was granted "preferred bidder" status and it has only been in existence since 2004: is that a track record which suggests that it should be granted the full responsibility for a general hospital for 10 years. The company structure looks depressingly like that of Southern Cross: and we know how well that turned out

FionaK
view post Posted on 10/11/2011, 13:04

As noted, Odey Asset Management owns a substantial part of Circle Holdings. So I had a dig about. It is a Limited Liability Partnership and when you go to their website the first thing you meet is this:

Information on this Site

The information on this website (“Information”) is issued by Odey Asset Management LLP, a limited liability partnership incorporated in England and Wales under number OC305952 ("Odey"), authorised and regulated by the Financial Services Authority ("FSA").

The Information is not directed at any person in any jurisdiction where it is illegal or unlawful to access and use such information. Odey disclaims all responsibility if you access or download any Information in breach of any law or regulation of the country in which you reside.

The Information is not directed at any person in the United States and this site is not intended to be used by any person in the United States unless those persons are existing investors in funds managed by Odey and they have applicable US exemptions.

Accordingly, all persons who access this site are required to inform themselves of and to comply with all applicable sales restrictions in their home country.
Sales Restrictions

United Kingdom: the funds referred to in the restricted part of this site (the "Restricted Area") are not recognised collective investment schemes for the purposes of the Financial Services and Markets Act 2000 of the United Kingdom (the "Act"). The promotion of such funds and the distribution of offering materials in relation to such funds in the United Kingdom is accordingly restricted by law.

The information contained in the "Restricted Area" is only available to and directed only at persons to whom such funds may lawfully be promoted by a person authorised under the Act (an "authorised person") by virtue of Section 238(5) of the Act and Chapter 4 (Part 12) of the FSA Conduct of Business Sourcebook. Information must not be relied or acted upon by any other persons.

The funds in the Restricted Area are not regulated under the UK's financial services regulations and investors in those funds will not benefit from the rules and regulations made under the Act for the protection of investors or from the Financial Services Compensation Scheme.

Shares in the funds in the Restricted Area are not dealt in or on a recognised or designated investment exchange for the purposes of the Act, nor is there a market maker in such shares, and it may therefore be difficult for an investor to dispose of his shares.

Access to the Restricted Area requires possession of a valid password and no other person should attempt to gain access to it.

An application for shares in any of the funds referred to on this site should only be made having read fully the relevant prospectus.

No Advice

The Information is provided for information purpose only and on the basis that you make your own investment decisions and do not rely upon it. Odey is not soliciting any action based on it and it does not constitute a personal recommendation or investment advice. Should you have any queries about the investment funds referred to on this site, you should contact your financial adviser.

Risk Factors

Past performance is not an indication of future performance. The value of investments and the income from them may go down as well as up and investors may not get back the amount invested. Because of this, you are not certain to make a profit on your investments and you may lose money.

The funds in the Restricted Area may be subject to higher risk and volatility than other funds and may not be suitable for all investors. These funds are not regulated

<snip>

The rest of it is more standard, dealing with data protection and privacy policy etc. You have to click "agree" before you can enter the site. For all I know this is usual for Limited Liability Partnerships, but I confess it strikes me as a statement that they are deeply dodgy: even if that is not so, they are clearly high risk and I do not think that is the kind of mindset I want in charge of my health service. Especially since there is evidence that financial and investment advisors perform no better than chance (see "What do they get paid for thread" )

On the home page the founder states he started the company in 1991 and now manage $7 billion with an exceptional track record across their "conventional and hedge fund portfolios". His strategy is based on "thinking like an owner" The partnership has won a lot of awards such as "hedge fund manager of the year" in 2009. They say they concentrate on "performance" and not on asset acquisition.

There is no doubt the partnership has made a great deal of money: and no doubt that is what they are for. Mr Odey made £28 million by betting that a particular company would go bankrupt, for example. He has close links with the Murdoch family and he has threatened to the leave the UK over the 50% tax rate. He has funded political campaigns in Ireland aimed at a no vote for joining the EU: though some hedge funds apparently bet the country would go bankrupt if it did not join and stood to make a lot of money of the vote was no.

I have not been able to find anything which would suggest that this company has a cosy vision such as "empowering" health care professionals: though I suppose they will be quite happy so long as any such strategy makes money.

FionaK
view post Posted on 11/11/2011, 17:22

Seems that all of these venture capital firms are solely engaged in making money through either backing innovative new firms or by trading on the financial markets. They are all in control of substantial sums and it follows that they would not invest in Circle if it were a one-off: Circle itself aims at rapid growth. It is difficult to see how the tories can continue to deny that they are preparing for privatisation, especially after Cameron's stated aim of making the NHS a "great business".

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard/pol...ealth-report.do

In other news the Health Secretary has been ordered to hand over the "strategic risk register" which attaches to his "reform plans" for the NHS: his department have been refusing despite FOI requests from at least two sources. Mr Lansley said that

releasing the risk register <snip> would have "jeopardised the success of the policy".

Whatever can this mean?

FionaK
view post Posted on 21/11/2011, 20:39

Further to Hinchingbrooke:

www.strategicprojectseoe.co.uk/uplo...MOI%20Final.pdf

The link is to the Memorandum of Information issued by the Trust for the information of potential bidders for the privatisation of the Hospital. It is largely self explanatory, and it dispels any doubt that there is a problem with the hospital which needs any action at all. Not in the real world anyway. In the crazy world of accountancy things are quite different....

As I suspected the hospital's debts are very largely unreal. They are an artefact of the way the accounts are kept, and the way charges and payments are made within the virtual world it has been necessary to create in order to confuse people into thinking that a public service is a business. In the neocon world everything is a business: and they are incapable of understanding what an analogy or a model or a metaphor is. Or they are liars. You decide.

As you will see from the MOI, Hinchingbrooke was within budget till 2004/5. Then two things happened:

1. A new treatment centre was built under the PFI arrangments, which leaves them with an obligation to pay a private company for the use of the building for 30 years. The cost was £22 million, and the centre opened in 2005. The cost of this each year is shown in the accounts available for the three years prior to the MOI. in 2007 it paid £3,180, 000: in 2008: £3,267,000: in 2009: £3,563,000. There are no details about how those figures are calculated, though there appears to be some element of inflation proofing ( an insane arrangement for capital expenditure since any benefit of inflation in terms of reduced relative cost to the purchaser is lost). However you work it out it seems that the value received was £22 million and the repayments will amount to over £100 million over the term of the contract: course the provider is liable for repairs and maintenance etc: but this is a gift to a private company from the public purse with absolutely no rational justification that I can see. Typical PFI contract, in fact.

2. The excess costs were expected to be offset by increased use of the facility and associated income from that.(Note that most such income is pure fantasy: the health service pays itself to use its facilities and no money at all is involved, except in the fevered brains of accountants and finance directors and besotted politicians. There is some real money where the facility is used to provide private care: it is a drop in the ocean. All this does is create jobs for accountants and finance directors to keep track of non existent money. But I digress). The increase did not materialise, not because of any mistake in the forecast, but because of a change in policy consequent on yet another initiative designed to save money. As the MOI says

the PCT changed its commissioning intentions and moved activity away from hospitals and into the community, in line with DH guidance. This contributed in part to the £7.8m deficit incurred in 2005/06.

(My emphasis)

I do not argue that is not a good policy: I do not know. But it is obvious that there is nothing wrong with a management which based its decisions on the situation which obtained at the time, and which was presumably not advised of the intended change in advance of signing the contract. Would we decide that the management of a private company which planned on the basis of an existing tax regime was incompetent if the government then changed that regime later? I don't think we would: I think we would expect them to adapt to the change: but not instantly.

That part of the deficit is not the biggest part however: the biggest part is even more insane. Once again it arises from the fantasy world these idiots inhabit.

There is no real cost or price for services the NHS provides to itself: they are made up. What that means is that they can be changed any time, to produce any financial outcome the powers that be want. And this is what happened to Hinchingbrooke. From 2004/5 the government launched yet another shiny policy called "payment by results". Sounds good? Well sorry to disappoint you, but it ain't. Prior to that initiative the hospital got a low "payment" for the work it did and so the "income" was also low. That had to change (er...why is not clear but if you are cynical like me it is possible to suspect that it has to change or privatisation won't work). So it did change. From that year a new arrangement came in to force so that all the services were to be charged at real cost (commercial rate, presumably). But it was not introduced in one go: as the cost is notional and the increase substantial there was a transition phase: the previous low rates were increased year on year. So the actual imaginary income was lower than the notional imaginary income during the transition phase. This accounts for £21 million of the total reported accumulated deficit of £38.9 million. By 2008/9 full payment was being received and the management had made necessary adjustments so that it was generating service within budget ( with a small suplus actually) by that year.

Of the total reported deficit of £38.9 million £21 million is wholly notional: and a further £7.8 million is a direct consequence of DH directives. The rest comes from PFI, mainly, I would argue.

Despite this it was decided that the hospital would have to be closed or put under private sector management, and so this MOI was produced to attract "partners" who would run the hospital on behalf of the NHS.

Circle, which has no track record, became the "preferred bidder" shortly afterwards. I have not been able to discover how that happened as yet: they have no demonstrated ability to run a hospital, and they have not been in existence long enough to show they can run anything at all. They have yet to make a profit, and all they can show in terms of competence is "patient satisfaction": not clinical outcomes nor any other measure appropriate to a health care facility. They do, however, have donations to the tory party to wave about: big donations.

The upshot of all this is that those who hope that Circle will fail are bound to be disappointed: they cannot fail. They are to get £1billion to run the hospital for 10 years. The hospital already has a private element which generated £886,000 in 2008/9. While the assets and staff will remain with the NHS this income will not. It seems that this is in addition to the £100 million Circle will get directly from the taxpayer, though I am open to correction on that. It looks like the truth is that Circle will get nearly twice the headline figure, to me. In that connection it is important to note that the hospital's total income in 2008/9 was £91,630,000, including the private income

The imaginary price paid for services is now set at a "commercial rate" and, as shown in the accounts, that means the hospital was already in slight surplus by 2008/9: that imaginary money will now become real money, of course.

In 2007 the hospital was characterised as failing to operate within budget, and the solution to this "problem" was supposed to be a reduction in the hospital's activity: but that failed thankfully: those pesky ill people just refused to stop being referred to hospital when they were sick: and of course because of the imaginary pricing of service every treatment resulted in a greater notional loss. But with the new funding arrangements that is not true any more. Treatment now generates a notional ( soon to be real for Circle) profit: and it so happens that the the population is forecast to increase because of decisions elsewhere with regard to housing and new town development. It is true that the elderly population is expected to increase: but luckily for Circle we are committed to keeping old people in the community or in social care: NOT hospitals: so their call on hospital services will not grow with their numbers. A new town, on the other hand, will produce babies: and maternity services are quite profitable. Most young families primarily make demands on primary care: and where they don't they tend to have short term hospital needs because of accidents etc. So that should produce growth potential for a private hospital, I imagine.

All I can see is no problem requiring a solution: yet I predict that Circle will be able to pay down the really rather small accumulated deficit just as the hospital, if left alone, would. That is not how the outcome will be reported, though: you can tell that from the manufacture of the "crisis" which justifies this cynical nonsense in the first place

FionaK
view post Posted on 21/11/2011, 21:42

http://www.channel4.com/news/proof-governm...o-privatise-nhs

And while we are on the subject of lies and hidden agendas....

FionaK
view post Posted on 25/11/2011, 01:13

http://www.strategicprojectseoe.co.uk/uplo...%20response.pdf

This is a link to the summary of the public consultation on the future of Hinchingbrooke held in 2007.

It clarifies some of the origins of the "problem" and so I think it helpful to put it here. I still have not been able to find anything about how Circle became the preferred bidder, but it is evident that the decision to seek a partner was followed by significant delay and that proper plans for the hospital were impeded by that and by the fact that the PCT (which accounts for some 90% of Hinchingbrooke's "income") was very late in formally agreeing a service level agreement. By now I imagine staff and the public just want some plan in place: any plan at all.

FionaK
view post Posted on 11/1/2012, 14:12

On another note: there is an issue with illegal breast implants in this country, as in France and elsewhere. The Government has acknowledged its responsibility to fix this problem: and the private sector who did the bulk of the implants has also acknowledged the government's responsibility. The government knows that it has no power to force the issue and talks of the private sector's moral responsibility: the private sector's reply is "right back atcha". So the government is handwringing and meantime many women are worried and have no real recourse. The welsh have already sighed and agreed the public sector will do the necessary and pay for remediation.

This is nothing unusual: the private sector will not do what it does not have to do, unless there is money in it. It is another illustration of just what is wrong with the proposition: it does not matter who provides the service. It matters a lot!

FionaK
view post Posted on 31/1/2012, 15:12

There is unprecedented opposition to the government's plans for the NHS and 3 major journals have issued a joint editorial setting out what they agree on in face of this act.

http://www.nursingtimes.net/nursing-practi...5040835.article

The fact that almost all staff groups are opposed to these "reforms" will hopefully make it hard for Lansley to get his bill through.

FionaK
view post Posted on 1/2/2012, 02:53

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cambridgeshire-16812998

I mentioned above that it is extremely unlikely that Circle can fail at Hinchingbrooke because there is no real problem to solve. It seems obvious to me that this is a propaganda exercise and that the aim is to pretend that a private firm has "saved" a failing hospital, with the ultimate object of justifying further privatisation. So I am extremely disappointed to find the BBC furthering that agenda uncritically.

ETA: and The Guardian

http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2012/jan...s-over-hospital

FionaK
view post Posted on 3/2/2012, 19:16

PFI doesn't work: what a suprise. Lansley is correct; the Labour party signed these deals. Not convinced the tories wouldn't have done the same, though. Maybe they would have got better contracts? Maybe.

But all that is happening here is that the private companies get the absurd amounts of money promised: no renegotiation, even though we put loan sharks in jail for this kind of behaviour.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2012/feb...-pfi?CMP=twt_gu

63 replies since 3/9/2011, 11:56   1687 views