An alternative view

« Older   Newer »
NathanSanders
view post Posted on 4/8/2011, 09:59 by: NathanSanders

Bravo, Fiona. Finally an excellently thought out constructive effort with ideas towards putting a manifesto together.

One of your criticisms of my preliminary manifesto was that it was not revolutionary and that my ideas were already available in mainstream politics.
Everything you say you want is in the realm of mainstream party politics.

I would say this is also true of your statements above:
the system should be a democratic one

-Exactly what I said in my OP. This, is also "in the realm of mainstream party politics"
each individual has equal worth

-Again, the majority of mainstream parties would agree with you here, and it is even enshrined in the US constitution in a similar form. Nothing revolutionary here.
all decisions should be taken at the lowest possible level consonant with preservation of full citizens rights

Again- I feel this is analogous to my promotion of common good and concern for the individual over that of profit. Again, nothing revolutionary there.
The rule of law is sacrosanct

Quite right, I made no real mention to this in my manifesto as I, rightly or wrongly, took this as a given. Again, mainstream parties on both the right and left would have no trouble in agreeing on a statement like this.
we are all citizens of the world

I have shown in discussion and by the choice of name for the organisation that I agree with that and with
I do not think that we can move directly to such principles from where we are now

This is what I was alluding too with my comments on immigration. Again, these are not revolutionary ideas.
restoration of the supremacy of the power of the democratic body

I don't see how any democrat could argue against that, I for one do not. I also state similar in my original manifesto, that democracy needs to be rid of unwelcome influence, helping 'restore' the democratic body. Again, nothing new.

In my opinion, our manifesto's are very similar, yet written in very different ways, with focus on different aspects. I tried to point out things that I believe are rotten in current systems, and promote discussion of alternatives within a framework of general ideas. You have also offered an alternate frame of ideas, that are general enough to leave room for discussion, similar to mine.

It feels to me like we are very much on the same page when it comes to our political opinions as I fully agree with many of the things you say above. What I am trying to point out here is that many of the criticisms yourself and Vninect have offered for my manifesto could equally apply to yours.

19 replies since 4/8/2011, 05:40   487 views