Some personal musings, Would you know a totalitarian movement if you met it

« Older   Newer »
FionaK
view post Posted on 3/8/2011, 19:42

I was reminded of a thread I participated in on another board some time ago, and so, in parallel with the thread about when it is legitimate to oppose the law in a democracy I thought I would start this one: what are the defining features of a totalitarian movement and how would we recognise it in its early stages?

This seems important to me because there is some justification for comparing this period with the situation in the Weimar republic in the 1920's. There are, of course, differences and it is not right to form too close a parallel. But insofar as there is widespread dissatisfaction with the current state of politics and economics: and to the extent that this is leading to a great many alternative groupings and visions and stances vis-a-vis the rule of law I think it is not completely wide of the mark if we take a little time to consider what happens to make a democracy give way to totalitarian rule.

So the question is what should we be wary of? I would like your thoughts

Edited by FionaK - 13/9/2011, 05:03

view post Posted on 9/8/2011, 03:10

Group:
Administrator

QUOTE (FionaK @ 3/8/2011, 20:42) 
So the question is what should we be wary of? I would like your thoughts

Be wary of Swastikas. Any respectable movie on the Nazis has those.

Actually, the thread you referenced had a link to a guide of Eco on fascism -- "Ur-Fascism", more specifically, or "Eternal Fascism". The title suggests that fascism is a mindset that is timeless. He names 14 themes, and says that " These features cannot be organized into a system; many of them contradict each other, and are also typical of other kinds of despotism or fanaticism. But it is enough that one of them be present to allow fascism to coagulate around it." That makes it quite vague to me, as criteria... But I'm still going to list them below, in my own summary of an already short text.

www.themodernword.com/eco/eco_blackshirt.html

"1. The first feature of Ur-Fascism is the cult of tradition."

The real truth was known in the most primitive societies: You can't get to it by exploring outward, and advancement of learning. Truth is found by re-discovering the/all ancient texts and artifacts. As long as they are really old, and preferably obscure, too.

"2. Traditionalism implies the rejection of modernism."

Worship of modern (industrial) technology is aesthetic, usually: Look at us being superior with our technologies. Fundamentally, "the Enlightenment, the Age of Reason, is seen as the beginning of modern depravity. In this sense Ur-Fascism can be defined as irrationalism."

"3. Irrationalism also depends on the cult of action for action's sake."

Distrust of any critical reflection. Don't think: Do!

"4. The critical spirit makes distinctions, and to distinguish is a sign of modernism."

"In modern culture the scientific community praises disagreement as a way to improve knowledge. For Ur-Fascism, disagreement is treason."

"5. Besides, disagreement is a sign of diversity."

"Ur-Fascism grows up and seeks consensus by exploiting and exacerbating the natural fear of difference. The first appeal of a fascist or prematurely fascist movement is an appeal against the intruders. Thus Ur-Fascism is racist by definition."

"6. Ur-Fascism derives from individual or social frustration."

"Appeal to a frustrated middle class, a class suffering from an economic crisis or feelings of political humiliation, and frightened by the pressure of lower social groups."

"7. To people who feel deprived of a clear social identity, Ur-Fascism says that their only privilege is the most common one, to be born in the same country."

The Ur-Fascist believes there is a plot against "us" real nationals, by some minority in our nation's society.

"8. The followers must feel humiliated by the ostentatious wealth and force of their enemies."

Depending on the required mood, the chosen enemy is extremely wealthy, influential, and powerful in one speech, and pitifully weak and puny, in another: a thoroughly inconsistent image of the capacity of the enemy.

"9. For Ur-Fascism there is no struggle for life but, rather, life is lived for struggle."

"Life is permanent warfare." A theorem which makes a final victory for fascists a theoretical impossibility.

"10. Elitism is a typical aspect of any reactionary ideology, insofar as it is fundamentally aristocratic, and aristocratic and militaristic elitism cruelly implies contempt for the weak."

In Ur-Fascism, on the one hand, every citizen belongs to the best people in the world. And those who become party members are the best of the best. On the other hand, the "masses" (made up of those same people) are weak and they need and deserve a Leader.

"11. In such a perspective everybody is educated to become a hero."

It is not enough for a fascist to die with dignity: The crown on any man's achievements is to die a heroic death. "The Ur-Fascist hero is impatient to die. In his impatience, he more frequently sends other people to death."

"12. Since both permanent war and heroism are difficult games to play, the Ur-Fascist transfers his will to power to sexual matters."

In daily life, the fascist is a devout heterosexual. Women are submissive and behave just as they are expected to behave (traditionally). If there is no woman in the life of the fascist, weapons will provide his entertainment.

"13. Ur-Fascism is based upon a selective populism, a qualitative populism, one might say."

In Ur-Fascism, the Will of the People is a single monolithic quality. That Will isn't established by votes or any other instrument that relies on a sum of individuals: it is "interpreted" by the Leader. Since it is a quality, not a quantity, in can only be based on common sense or experience or personal wisdom: but that is then called the "Voice of the People", or the common man.

"14. Ur-Fascism speaks Newspeak."

"All the Nazi or Fascist schoolbooks made use of an impoverished vocabulary, and an elementary syntax, in order to limit the instruments for complex and critical reasoning. But we must be ready to identify other kinds of Newspeak, even if they take the apparently innocent form of a popular talk show."

~

He ends with "Our duty is to uncover it and to point our finger at any of its new instances — every day, in every part of the world. (...) Freedom and liberation are an unending task."

I like the features he names; they do seem to match with the familiar fascist systems, as I know them. But I am not sure if they are exclusively fascist? Is there a lower bound on how many of the features any movement needs to exhibit to label it fascist? And if not, that makes it hard to use these features as criteria for recognizing fascists... Are you looking for a list?

Helenagain
view post Posted on 9/8/2011, 11:21

I like that, I think he has most of the major signs covered; the selctive populism not least, which I see scary signs of in unexpected places (our Swedish Christian Democrats may indeed be democrats, but they are very close on most points.) I like his books, like his thinking, like his capacity for making me understand the world; wish there were more of him.

But the above is true for all totalitarian movements, isn't it? i was young once, a long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away, and had a brief flirtation with communism, and this kind of mindset was what made me cool off.

FionaK
view post Posted on 15/8/2011, 14:48

I was, I suppose, looking for an analytical tool of some description: a list would be handy.

Eco does have some interesting things to say: but I don't find it helps me all that much, actually. If I think about the list you have provided I don't get much further forward. I certainly agree that the mindset is eternal: but it is not just fascism per se: the problem is totalitarianism of all kinds and think there are different features at the level he is discussing.

1. The cult of tradition. I suppose that the crucial part here is the word "cult". There is not a lot wrong with tradition, to my way of thinking. At least, there is not any more wrong with it than there is with determined pursuit of novelty. I am inclined to think that there is some reason to believe we sometimes learn things: and that some traditions are a distillation of what we have learned by seeing what happens when we don't have it. The trouble is that these things accrete, and the reasons for them get lost. We take their beneficial effects for granted and do not always see how they are tied to the way we do things. I touched on that in the corruption thread, as it applies to a civil service. There are other examples. So I would say that a totalitarian outcome can attend the destruction of systems designed to contain certain evils: and that change for its own sake is dangerous too.

So if the opposition is between social change and inflexible tradition I do not think that totalitarianism is wedded to either one. It is true that there are extremists who seem to have a view of the past as a golden age: and that leads them to hanker after all those ancient virtues. But there are others just as wedded to the idea of a horrible past with lives "nasty, brutish and short": and for those people "progress" is a good thing in and of itself. Is the chinese cultural revolution a better thing than a platonic republic? I do not really think so. Eco was talking about fascism, certainly, and the elevation of tradition is perhaps central to that: but unless it becomes a thoughtless pursuit, with all the features of a cult, I am not sure it is an identifier in itself. It seems to me that the danger lies always in putting a system above and before the individuals who make up the society: and the outcomes are not that different, whether that is a cult of tradition or a cult of relentless modernity. And then we have the problem of defining a cult......

2. Rejection of modernism: I am not very sure why he separated this from the first, because it seems to me to be a subset, rather than a distinct feature. So for me what I have said above covers this, I think. It seems, in the use of the word "implies", that Eco agrees with that, so I will move on

3. Irrationalism. Eco seems to think that this is also a cult of some description: a cult of Action over Thought. I am not sure how the word cult can apply here. I do agree that there is danger in "distrust of critical reflection", but again I am not sure this is confined to one type of totalitarian movement: I am not even sure I think it is confined to totalitarian systems at all. Perhaps it is a feature, and we can describe an army, or a hierarchical church, or even a factory, as totalitarian: indeed that is often done. But it is a rhetorical device, I think, and it does not help. If everything is totalitarian, then nothing is: and what I am looking for is something which will help to identify such a movement and distinguish it from other things. I think that all churches are irrational: but I do not think they are all totalitarian, at all times, and in every place, no matter the denomination. It is hard to see the Society of Friends (quakers) as a totalitarian organisation, for example. Similarly, the ordinary soldier is not encouraged to think: he is trained to obey orders without question (within the limits of unlawful orders etc, but the point still holds for the most part I think). An army is hierarchical, but that does not make it totalitarian, because it is structured that way for a rational reason. So what is the divide here? If the majority of members of an organisation are not to think, is it saved from totalitarian character by the "exo brain" - which means, in the case of an army, political control outwith the hierarchical structure? Perhaps. I think perhaps I am confused by the lack of elaboration, because as I think about this I do not see the relationship between the will to action without reflection, and irrationality. Maybe that need to be teased out a bit

4. Disagreement is treason. I have no quarrel that that is sign of the totalitarian mindset. I do not think that contrasting it with science helps, though I know it is fashionable to draw the lines that way. But the nazis had very fine scientists, and their approach does not seem to have helped in any way. In short I do not think it is scientists alone who praise disagreement as a way to further knowledge: all non totalitarians do that. However I do think that the insistence on conformity is another feature of cults.

5. Appeal against intruders does seem to me to be a central feature. There must be an "other", and that "other" must be a threat in some way. Is it inherently racist? I am not convinced by that. I think the other can be a different race: but it can equally well be an "underclass", or "the capitalists/counter revolutionaries", or any group which challenges or threatens the values and analysis: or can be portrayed as doing so. The essential thing is that there must be a "us" and to inculcate that there must also be a "them".

6. Appeal to frustrated middle classes. Arguably this overlaps with 5. to the point of collapsing them into the same thing. But I think he is referring to the conditions which must exist in order for this system to take hold. For me this is a chicken and egg thing. Eco appears to believe that the roots of the anxiety or fear must be there already, and the totalitarian exploits it. I think that is partially true. But I believe that the conditions can be manufactured. I am not convinced that they are manufactured by the totalitarians, though: I think they are beneficial to social groups which fall far short of that. Where I do agree is with his proposition that this one is one which can by itself allow a totalitarian mindset to "coagulate" around it. As with 5. it is a variation of "divide and rule": but I do not think those who manufacture those fears are aiming for totalitarianism: most of the time it is contained within limits which allow the powerful to maintain their position. That fails when totalitarianism emerges, as some of the businessmen and financiers discovered to their cost, after they helped Hitler to power. Some version of divide and rule is almost always present: the mechanism whereby totalitarianism clots around it is more obscure. Similarly for hard left revolutionaries such as Trotsky: they do not make the conditions: but they exploit them, and that thread of totalitarianism overtly adopts the view that things must get worse to produce a revolutionary situation. For them the middle class is not the target, however. Again Eco is talking about fascism, and he is probably right about the target class in that case: but the "middle class" is not the only one which can be exploited to produce totalitarianism.

7. Is yet another way of stating 5. and 6. It also overlaps with 1. I do not think there is enough difference to make this a separate thing, at present

8. Inconsistent presentation of the "enemy's" capacity. I think that is not unique to totalitarian systems: I think it is essential in all wars, for example: they must be evil enough to warrant a fight; and that means they must pose a real threat. They must be beatable: so they must in some sense be weaker than "us". I cannot really see that this is confined to totalitarianism at all and so I would leave it out

9. Life as permanent warfare is a feature I readily can accept. It follows from divide and rule, and from the construction of the "other" as a permanent threat. As you say, one cannot ever win. What I cannot see is how we can use this to identify such a movement in its early stages: and that is because this feature can never be openly avowed. The promise of victory MUST be held out because people will not fight an unwinnable war, I think. There has to be a utopian future they can aspire to when all of these evils are eliminated. Bright landscapes full of happy people, however that society is conceived.

10. Need and deserve a Leader/ elitism: I think that is intrinsic to right wing totalitarian systems but not to left wing ones (the outcome in practice is similar, but follows a different logic, I think). I do agree that this is an identifier for fascist type ideologies, and it sets off extreme alarm bells in my head when I come across it.

11. Educated to become a hero. Eco appears to tie that to thanatophilia, and I have certainly seen that proposed before. It is not new: it is part of the story of Achilles, and that is about as old as it gets. But it is not confined to the totalitarian mindset, I dont think. It is a feature of patriotism, for example. I do not see evidence that people are eager to die, though if they must then a heroic death is to be preferred at least by some. This narrative is pretty much universal in the education of boys, at least. So yes, eternal, but it co-exists with other narratives and they all exist in democracies too. That is in line with my own view that all (archetypal) narratives are there all the time. It may be that the totalitarian mindset elevates that one: but I do not think we can usefully use it to identify the emergence of such a system at an early stage

12. Devout herterosexuality. I don't think so. The will to power over the "other" covers this wrt the position of women. But I do not think this precludes homosexuality at all: in fact I think it probably promotes it. So here I disagree completely.

13 and 14 are unarguable I think and would certainly be high on my list.

FionaK
view post Posted on 13/9/2011, 04:36

As I mentioned in the book thread, I have been reading Polanyi's book the last couple of days. He has things to say about the conditions which give rise to right wing totalitatarian regimes, and I think it is interesting to compare what he has to say with Eco's list.

Polanyi is primarily concerned with the meaning of the self regulated market, in terms of what it adopts as a theory of human nature: and this naturally resonates with me, because I think that all social and political arrangements ultimately reflect some such theory. He further argues that the particular conception of that system necessarily results in the subordination of all human and social values to those of the market. We have seen that argued in other links in other threads: it is hardly unique to his analysis. But Polanyi also has much to say on the rise of fascism and nazi-ism and he makes some points I have not considered before.

Polanyi firmly takes the view that the roots of success for such movements are in the objective situation. He rejects localised explanations whether they are couched in terms of national character or in specific historical events, such as the impact of the Treaty of Versailles. In supporting that view he points to the emergence of right wing totalitarian movements all over europe and in other parts of the world in the 1930's: in very industrialised countries and in those which were not so "developed": in countries which had been on the winning side in the war and in those which lost: in countries of "aryan" origin and in asian states such as japan: in catholic and protestant and secular states: and in long established countries and newly constituted ones. There is nothing which one can point to which is common to those countries where the movement became strong, and particular to them. At least not in the background culture.

He further points out something I had not considered at all: according to Polanyi, there is no evidence that it should be described as a "movement" at all. We are apt to see the rise of that kind of power as dependent on widespread popular support: and in this we are perhaps influenced by footage of the Nuremberg rallies and such. But according to Polanyi this is a misunderstanding. Hitler did have a mass following; Mussolini only a small one; and Primo de Rivera had no following to speak of. They were all notably successful, and so he argues that, although they all aimed at mass support, their political effectiveness was independent of that.

Polanyi also gives a list: though since the identification is not his primary purpose it is less comprehensive than Eco's: and not so thoroughly argued. But he says that a country approaching a fascist phase does have some symptoms, and amongst these he included:

Spread of irrational philosophies
Racism
Anticapitalist demagoguery
Criticism of the party system
Heterodox views on the currency

Obviously some of those are common to Eco's list. I am not familiar enough with Eco's work to know if he considers the "eternal" existence of the fascist mindset needs a particular set of conditions to achieve power: nor do I know if Polanyi would agree that the mindset is eternal. But it is clear that some of what we should look out for is agreed by both. That has to be helpful in some ways, because none of those things are clearly and unambiguously bad on the face of it (with the exception of racism, if it is presented as such: but it often isn't). The very process of listing makes it clear that each element is easy to miss or dismiss: and so the detection of early stage fascism is never going to be automatic. After all, being fed up with existing political parties is fairly universal: and a wish to transcend them is attractive to many.

Another thing which I had missed is that in none of the 20th century instances of fascist success was there any actual revolution. While they presented themselves as radical popular movements, it is striking that the rebellion was a sham, at least insofar as it was never firmly put down by the exisiting powers. This is part of the common knowledge of the working class history I was brought up with: we all "know" that the british aristocracy was largely supportive of Hitler: and that some of them had to go and hide on their islands and estates once the war started, for they were recognised nazi sympathisers. But somehow I had never noticed the same was true everywhere. Whether they won or lost they had support in the ruling classes (whoever they might be) in a "plausibly deniable" way, which aimed to preserve their position whatever the outcome. The people were not fooled, or the parallel history I was taught would not exist, and the Spanish Civil war would not have happened: but it was enough. In contrast with left wing revolution, whether totalitarian or not, the case is different: there was real opposition to those movements wherever they arose. As soon as I say that it seems obvious: but I had missed it.

It is sometimes argued that fascism (using that shorthand here, but it stands for all the different right wing totalitarians: just easier to write ) was essentially nationalist in character: but again Polanyi disputes that, at least if nationalism is identied with patriotism: there were collaborationists, from Vichy to Quisling, and none of them were serving national or patriotic aims, as those terms are generally understood.

Polanyi locates the rise of fascism in the paralysis produced by the "double movement" of a the rise of the "Self Regulating Market" together with the societal defence of regulation which necessarily accompanied it. For him this reached impasse and when the economic system no longer functioned the conditions for fascism were in place.

I am not sure yet if he goes further: but I will. It occurs to me that the reductionism inherent in the notion of "economic man" is core to the rise of fascism. The "laissez faire" capitalists believed that everything was reducible to a commodity: they valued only profit and assumed that this was human nature: as now, they argued that their analysis "worked with the grain of human nature" and that it was rational/scientific: indeed it was a natural law. Such a conception denies the role of emotion and of social and personal relationships in the forming of human society: but to me those are part of our core. This is related to what I see as our dual nature: we are competitive and cooperative in equal measure (if you happen to focus on the group): or we are selfish and altruistic in equal measure (if you prefer to locate that kind of thing in the individual): so any system which seeks to deny either part will ultimately fail. So I think, anyway. But building on that idea, it also seems to me that when it fails the part which has been denied for any significant period will rebound in spades. It is no accident that the notion of economic man, with its attendant destruction of the dignity and pride of many, will, when it fails, produce rejection of its tenets: so will any system of that sort. But in that case the rise of mysticism and irrationality is to be expected: since their opposites were the hurrah words underpinning the theory which led to the bad outcomes. That does not mean we will fling out technology: we might, but we do like our comforts: it does mean that there is less resistance to those things which elevate the sense of value and belonging which the individualist free market denies, though. And some of those abstractions are scary: as is the abstraction of "economic man" itself

FionaK
view post Posted on 24/8/2013, 09:49

Someone on another board quoted this from the book "They Thought They Were Free" by Milton Mayer, about life in Nazi Germany: I reproduce it here in full because I think it is important and well expressed:

"What no one seemed to notice," said a colleague of mine, a philologist, "was the ever widening gap, after 1933, between the government and the people. Just think how very wide this gap was to begin with, here in Germany. And it became always wider. You know, it doesn’t make people close to their government to be told that this is a people’s government, a true democracy, or to be enrolled in civilian defense, or even to vote. All this has little, really nothing, to do with knowing one is governing.
"What happened here was the gradual habituation of the people, little by little, to being governed by surprise; to receiving decisions deliberated in secret; to believing that the situation was so complicated that the government had to act on information which the people could not understand, or so dangerous that, even if the people could not understand it, it could not be released because of national security. And their sense of identification with Hitler, their trust in him, made it easier to widen this gap and reassured those who would otherwise have worried about it.
"This separation of government from people, this widening of the gap, took place so gradually and so insensibly, each step disguised (perhaps not even intentionally) as a temporary emergency measure or associated with true patriotic allegiance or with real social purposes. And all the crises and reforms (real reforms, too) so occupied the people that they did not see the slow motion underneath, of the whole process of government growing remoter and remoter.
"To live in this process is absolutely not to be able to notice it—please try to believe me—unless one has a much greater degree of political awareness, acuity, than most of us had ever had occasion to develop. Each step was so small, so inconsequential, so well explained or, on occasion, ‘regretted,’ that, unless one were detached from the whole process from the beginning, unless one understood what the whole thing was in principle, what all these ‘little measures’ that no ‘patriotic German’ could resent must some day lead to, one no more saw it developing from day to day than a farmer in his field sees the corn growing. One day it is over his head.
"You see," my colleague went on, "one doesn’t see exactly where or how to move. Believe me, this is true. Each act, each occasion, is worse than the last, but only a little worse. You wait for the next and the next. You wait for one great shocking occasion, thinking that others, when such a shock comes, will join with you in resisting somehow. You don’t want to act, or even talk, alone; you don’t want to ‘go out of your way to make trouble.’ Why not?—Well, you are not in the habit of doing it. And it is not just fear, fear of standing alone, that restrains you; it is also genuine uncertainty.
"But the one great shocking occasion, when tens or hundreds or thousands will join with you, never comes. That’s the difficulty. If the last and worst act of the whole regime had come immediately after the first and smallest, thousands, yes, millions would have been sufficiently shocked—if, let us say, the gassing of the Jews in ’43 had come immediately after the ‘German Firm’ stickers on the windows of non-Jewish shops in ’33. But of course this isn’t the way it happens. In between come all the hundreds of little steps, some of them imperceptible, each of them preparing you not to be shocked by the next. Step C is not so much worse than Step B, and, if you did not make a stand at Step B, why should you at Step C? And so on to Step D.
"And one day, too late, your principles, if you were ever sensible of them, all rush in upon you. The burden of self-deception has grown too heavy, and some minor incident, in my case my little boy, hardly more than a baby, saying ‘Jewish swine,’ collapses it all at once, and you see that everything, everything, has changed and changed completely under your nose. The world you live in—your nation, your people—is not the world you were born in at all. The forms are all there, all untouched, all reassuring, the houses, the shops, the jobs, the mealtimes, the visits, the concerts, the cinema, the holidays. But the spirit, which you never noticed because you made the lifelong mistake of identifying it with the forms, is changed. Now you live in a world of hate and fear, and the people who hate and fear do not even know it themselves; when everyone is transformed, no one is transformed. Now you live in a system which rules without responsibility even to God. The system itself could not have intended this in the beginning, but in order to sustain itself it was compelled to go all the way."

view post Posted on 3/10/2013, 17:58

Group:
Administrator

“Fascism is capitalism plus murder.”
― Upton Sinclair

A quote to throw in here.

FionaK
view post Posted on 7/12/2016, 15:05

Upthread Vninect listed Umberto Eco's markers of totalitarianism. Someone has applied them to Mr Trump here:
http://www.alternet.org/election-2016/trum...tter1068417&t=2

Interesting

view post Posted on 17/12/2016, 01:03

Group:
Administrator

I tend to conflate totalitarianism and fascism, and I suppose it is because the two can overlap so readily. The subjugation of a diverse group of people to a simplified or abstract idea/governor as I understand totalitarianism is conducive to the ideas of struggle and group identity as in fascism - and vice versa.

Crimethinc has published a reading of Trump as a fascist, to which they answer: "There is, in fact, nothing fascist about Trump." www.crimethinc.com/texts/r/trump/,

Here's their analysis:

"Fascism is not just any extreme right-wing position. It is a complex phenomenon that mobilizes a popular movement under the hierarchical direction of a political party and cultivates parallel loyalty structures in the police and military, to conquer power either through democratic or military means; subsequently abolishes electoral procedures to guarantee a single party continuity; creates a new social contract with the domestic working class, on the one hand ushering in a higher standard of living than what could be achieved under liberal capitalism and on the other hand protecting the capitalists with a new social peace; and eliminates the internal enemies whom it had blamed for the destabilization of the prior regime.
Trump showed contempt for democratic convention by threatening to intimidate voters and hinting that he might not concede a lost election, but his model of conservatism in no way abolishes the mechanisms that are fundamental to democracy. In another four years, we’ll be subjected to the electoral circus all over again. Trump did appeal especially to cops and border guards, but in no way began inducting the police into a para-state organization designed to cement his hold on power. He gave shout-outs to the militia movement and tickled the fancy of the Ku Klux Klan, but has done nothing to centralize those groups into a paramilitary force under his command. He promised a new deal for the working class, but will not even take the first steps towards instituting it, and whatever his intentions he will prove utterly unable to reward the owning class with social peace. He will make life harder for those he identifies as the enemies of society (Muslims and immigrants, especially), but he will not eliminate them."

It appears fascism here is described as a passing phenomenon - a strategy perhaps- by which one group can gain total power over an existing (necessarily democratic?) system. So rather than being a sort of permanent state of (collective) mind, as Eco tried to analyse it, the Crimethinc analysis identifies a set of tactics as defining characteristics to the fascist strategy.

I find this an interesting line of thought, as it brings the analysis down from some complex set of philosophies, which are hard to identify in any group or individual, to the utilisation of some fairly specific modes of action. Those tend to be less ambiguous. And, if fascism can be thought of as a strategy for power, it helps to untie its concepts from those of totalitarianism, though that fractures Eco's list.

The article above hence does not agree with alernet's identification of Trump as a fascist, and instead places him in a history of white supremacists (before moving on to a system-wide rejection of the status quo). Though I suspect it is too soon to rule out that he will prove to be a fascist, even using the crimethinc pointers. Maybe the disadvantage of using an identifier on the basis of past actions is that your analysis will always be one step after the facts at the earliest.

FionaK
view post Posted on 18/2/2017, 23:18

I've been thinking a bit about this approach because I do see the advantage of identifying specific actions which would help us, over more abstract general principles. If it can be done. But the more I look at the summary above, the less I am convinced by it.

I find the complacency in the opening paragraphs quite unjustified. The idea that fascism can not rise in a capitalist country is frankly peculiar, given that is precisely where it did arise in the past: at least if nazism is included in the characterisation. It is possible that the author confines his assertion to the US, but it does not read that way.

I agree that totalitarianism in not just any right wing position; but I am unclear if the authors mean to focus specifically on fascism rather than on totalitarianism more widely: or even other forms of right wing totalitarianism (assuming the left/right distinction holds, for this argument). The reference to Golden Dawn and to Syriza suggests it is not confined to fascism per se, I would suggest. So I am going to presume that they mean any right wing totalitarian position. If that is not correct please feel free to disagree. Your problem with the distinction is well taken: me too.

However if we do look at it more widely then I do not agree with their identifiers at all. As noted above, Polanyi makes a case that this is not in fact the mobilisation of a popular movement, often. It is in fact a noisy and dangerous minority in collusion with the ruling elites, more typically.

Nor do I agree that the totalitarian gives the domestic working class a higher standard of living than would be achieved under liberal democracy (whatever that is supposed to mean these days). They certainly promise it: but so do all politicians. Where is the evidence that they deliver?

Fascism per se did not eliminate the internal enemies: nazis certainly did, and Mussolini colluded to some extent: but that was not a feature of fascism in the way it was of nazism. Fascism was corporatism writ large: it was not particularly aggressive towards an identifiable "enemy within".

Ultimately all totalitarians abolish democracy: it is kind of the nature of the beast. But I don't think they do it overnight, nor start out by saying that is what they will do.

By now we see Mr Trump attacking the press and the judiciary. The authors say it is no part of his programme to abolish the mechanisms of democracy. With all my contempt for the captured media I still consider a free press to be a one such mechanism, at least ideally: and an independent judiciary another.

Basically I do not accept this author's conclusions. Where I do think he has a point is in identifying white supremacy as a particularly american phenomenon, which is certainly in play. If an american totalitarianism were to arise it would probably have that at the heart of the necessary "othering". But I see that as a tangential issue since the particular from totalitarianism takes is determined by local factors: it does not change its essence, I don't think.

10 replies since 3/8/2011, 19:42   228 views