Stories for Telephone sales

« Older   Newer »
Dotter
view post Posted on 11/6/2011, 02:33

Supposedly those all go to Microsoft, but considering the number of them they must receive, I wonder if anyone bothers to look at them.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Error_Reporting

view post Posted on 11/6/2011, 02:38

Group:
Administrator

I wondered about that as well...

I don't think I've ever sent an error report, myself. It was clever of them to include a waiting/loading period for sending reports that was just a bit too long.

Dotter
view post Posted on 11/6/2011, 02:39

The one where Windows checks to see if there's a solution to the problem? I've given up on that completely and disabled it recently. Now, if only I could do that at work too.

view post Posted on 11/6/2011, 02:44

Group:
Administrator

They check for a solution now, but in XP I believe they just sent a report...

> "Now, if only I could do that at work too."
:lol:

Professor Yaffle
view post Posted on 13/6/2011, 23:43

You need the anti-telemarketing script:

hxxp://egbg.home.xs4all.nl/counterscript.html

Replace the xx with tt to make the link work.

(hi Fiona!)

FionaK
view post Posted on 13/6/2011, 23:59

That is brilliant, Prof Yaffle :D

And welcome !!

view post Posted on 14/6/2011, 00:05

Group:
Administrator

There's multiple languages and everything! :lol: Excellent site!

Also, welcome to these humble forums, Professor Yaffle!

.Dan
view post Posted on 17/6/2011, 11:24

QUOTE (FionaK @ 10/6/2011, 19:18) 
A few minutes ago I got a call from a lady who was concerned about my computer. She told me they have been getting error messages from it for some time and they are worried it might have an infection. So I took its temperature: that was not really useful because I don't know what its temperature should be normally: but it didn't have a runny nose and it wasn't complaining of pain. It is true it is sometimes lethargic though.

The lady would not tell me where she works but obviously there are people out there who are just dripping with compassion for ill computers. I am sorry to report that I told her to go and chase herself: but on reflection that was not nice when she only had my interest at heart

What should I say, if she calls again?

I generally don't take home phone calls (because it's either a telemarketer, or they're calling for someone else (in which case if someone else is home they can answer, or the machine gets it)). I took one about a month ago though because I was in the kitchen toasting a sandwich and was killing time. It was the same spiel as yours.

After much discussion and trickery I had him admit that he wasn't actually getting errors from my computer and he hung up. Elated, I gave a slight fist pump and then turned around to see that most of the cheese had oozed out of my sandwiches, cooked onto the oven and what remained were less than enjoyable sandwiches.

I called that one a draw.

view post Posted on 17/6/2011, 12:13

Group:
Administrator

Hahaha. I lol'd. :D

FionaK
view post Posted on 17/6/2011, 12:27

Peculiar: you would have thought that someone,somewhere, would be getting error messages from your oven...

FionaK
view post Posted on 9/6/2012, 12:58

I got another one of these calls today (I get them most days so that is not the point) from a person who said he was phoning on behalf of something called "consumercentric". He started immediately be reassuring me he was not selling anything: it was "market research". So I asked him how much he gets paid. He told me he is a volunteer. Well that was impressive and I asked if Consumercentric is a charity. He told me it is a group of companies who are interested in helping me to save money. So that was nice. He said he wanted to take few minutes of my time to ask me some questions but on enquiry he did admit the enterprise is not a charity, registered or otherwise. So I asked why he volunteered. His english was not great but it appears he did it for "immersion" and when I teased that out he is getting experience in market research. So it seemed to me that this is workfare by any other name and that is worse than usual, because most say they do get paid.

So I told him I do not work for nothing and neither should he: and I asked him how much his company intended to pay for my time, as I often do. He was very puzzled. When he got the idea he laughed. I repeated I do not work for nothing and in my opinion he should also ask for wages. He laughed again.

I do not think he had ever heard that the labourer is worthy of his hire....

I could not find his company but I did find lots of hits for "consumer centric": it is an idea whose time has come and this little gem was especially pleasing: it should really be in the "Things that Make you Laugh" thread, probably

http://consumercentricconsulting.com/

I absolutely adore this, in particular

Today’s winners are a hybrid focused on the consumer and committed to turning their customers into fans or as we like to say “active advocates.”

They want you to work for them for nothing: but not just for a few minutes: they like long term abusive relationships, apparently

Edited by FionaK - 9/6/2012, 13:27

FionaK
view post Posted on 22/12/2012, 14:15

www.saynotocoldcalls.com/

Apparently you can sue them if you can find out who they are. In my experience that is not easy...but worth a try?

26 replies since 6/6/2011, 18:53   225 views