Stories for Telephone sales

« Older   Newer »
FionaK
view post Posted on 6/6/2011, 18:53

So i just had my second call of the day from a complete stranger. In this country you can block commercial calls by registering that you do not want to receive them:and I have done that. It used to work ok: but no longer. It does not work for calls which originate outside of the UK, and now it seems a great many of them do.

These calls vary quite a lot. Some are not even human: a machine talks at you. Not a lot you can do about that but you don't have to listen. Others do involve a human being and that is more difficult because I am aware they have a crap job and so it is not fair to just yell at them: though it is tempting. But that very inhibition is part of what annoys me: it is like those religious people who doorstep you and play on your notion of good manners to reverse your perception of who is being rude

I have tried a number of what I think are reasonable responses: I used to say something like "Is this a commercial call? Because I don't take commercial calls at home". Odd to be so formal but it seemed to put it on the proper footing: a phone call at home is not supposed to be like that: it is supposed to be social unless it is specifically with some firm you have reason to talk to. And then you phone them.

But some long time ago that stopped working. It stopped working because they just tell outright lies. They no longer admit it is commercial: they say it is not.

There are some where they say they are conducting a survey. At the moment I now ask how much they are paying for my time to participate. Oddly they do not offer any money for my labour in increasing their profit and so far I have found they hang up once they are asked for wages. Obviously this is an arms race and that will stop working soon

Today, though, both calls were about telephone service itself and they both took the same form: they asked if I was responsiblefor the phone bill and when I said yes they said they were calling because they wanted to save me money. The first time I said I was not interested, thank you. The person said "you are not interested in saving money?" and seemed stuck when I said I wasn't. It was civil enough: but it annoyed me. So the second time the opening was the same and when he said he wanted to save me money I said "no you don't: you want to sell me something" He then said it will not cost you a penny: well if he was going to supply a telephone service for absolutely nothing I was interested: and I said so. But he explained that he meant the phone call would not cost me anything: that is the phone call he made to me without me asking him to? Er....I never have to pay when people call my land line: that is how it works. So I asked him how he felt about phoning up total strangers so he could lie to them. And he said he was not doing that: he was trying to save me money. And we went round that track again.

So what I am wanting from this thread is a better story to tell: or a better way of dealing with this.

Sugggestions?

Dotter
view post Posted on 6/6/2011, 21:30

I had one calling for a survey earlier. They were calling for someone who doesn't live at this address and they had the wrong address too.
Nevertheless, they steamrolled over that and still wanted me to answer a lifestyle survey that would take 1 minute. I grudgingly agreed and the lady on the other end of the phone said I had 'a kind heart'.
She mentioned that details may be passed along to other companies and asked for details of my address. I said I wasn't happy passing on that info and she babbled on regardless. In the end, I just got tired of it and put the phone down without saying bye.
I don't like doing that but if they just try to railroad me into doing what they want, that's what they get.

The best way to deal with it is probably just to say "Sorry, not interested. Bye" and put the phone down.

FionaK
view post Posted on 6/6/2011, 21:36

Well that may be the best way but I do not think it is going to discourage them. And i want some fun,too, if possible.

view post Posted on 6/6/2011, 21:48

Group:
Administrator

The oddest thing happened to me just the other day. I was sitting in the cafeteria, on break, and I got called by an unknown number. Indeed it was an unknown voice and I couldn't quite make up what company he said he was working for, but he asked me if he was talking to the right person, and I said yeah. And then he wondered if he called at an appropriate time, and I said, well, I'm sitting at the cafeteria, so no problem... And then he was like: oh then I'm sorry I disturbed you, have a good day. Hung up. That was it.

I never even learned what he was trying to peddle. :unsure: I'm still puzzled by it.

FionaK
view post Posted on 6/6/2011, 21:50

Must have been something expensive and he realised you couldn't afford it when you mentioned cafeteria. Pleb!!

view post Posted on 6/6/2011, 21:59

Group:
Administrator

QUOTE (FionaK @ 6/6/2011, 22:50) 
Must have been something expensive and he realised you couldn't afford it when you mentioned cafeteria. Pleb!!

That's unfair! The cafeteria is real expensive! :angry:

FionaK
view post Posted on 6/6/2011, 22:01

Oh? It is euphemism for the dutch equivalent of the Ritz, is it? Maybe the salesperson did not go to public school and did not realise: they should train them better!!

view post Posted on 8/6/2011, 18:09

Group:
Administrator

Related but not quite on topic: I like to be approached on the street by folk who try to sell subscriptions and the like. Two reasons: 1) because the ritual is entertaining. 2) I want to get their free stuff.

This time, it was a fellow with the company colours of NRC Next. A newspaper. I was on my way to pick up some groceries. Right before the door of the supermarket, he was scanning the shopping audience for victims. Thus was the stage. I saw him but didn't lock on immediately. Didn't want to seem too eager for his free newspaper. But he did see me. And the game was on.

He approached. It started casual. A tentative 'hey'. A social relic. A question followed: If I knew NRC Next. I answered truthfully: Yes, I know it. The tension built. Should I have been this open to him, right from the start? Was it the right answer? The answer, it turned out, didn't seem to matter. He had an offer. And while he went into the next phase of his strategy, he handed over the coveted prize. The newspaper was now in my hands. I needed to wrap this up in a civilized manner. Then I would have won. He, unknowing that I was not going to subscribe no matter how good the offer, had already lost.

While I was ogling the front page of my prize, lusting for all its free content inside, he amicably put his hand on my shoulder. It lasted about a half a second, but I had never experienced such directness. A tactic that was piercing. Brutal. This man would use all his manipulative power on me, that much was clear. My victory all of a sudden seemed less likely and my heart sank. With this kind of savage dedication, perhaps the unthinkable happens: I might cave and buy his subscription. Would this be my downfall, had I been too careless and arrogant?

Indeed, the offer was pretty good. 2 Euros per month for 6 months, to try out NRC Next, every weekday. And the NRC Handelsblad in the weekend. Tempting. But hold on, the weekend is two days. I knew that most papers didn't do Sundays. This was a trick! So I asked him if he was talking about 1 NRC Handelsblad, in the weekend. Turned out my eager instincts were right. It was. The offer already was 1/7th less impressive. But I still had 6/7th of his offer left to leave.

He mentioned the normal yearly and monthly tariffs. I wasn't paying attention, just searching for a way out. This was a race against time, and I couldn't be bothered with petty facts. Some students, who happened to be passing as he explained the prices, did. And one of them boldly remarked that it was a very high price for a newspaper. They kept on walking. The newspaper guy was only very briefly distracted by their interjection. He regained control with a brief and solid: "No. It is not." Parried graciously, paper guy. But you haven't won me over, just yet. I can still get away, I think.

I asked him if the offer was also available on the internet. A seemingly innocent question: perhaps I wanted to read the conditions at my own leisure and decide after some pondering and weighing. But of course, it was all but innocent, for he would not get his commission if I did it like that. The answer was expectable: It was a street promotion only. My attempt failed. But it did no harm. I decided to be more daring: "Can I keep this newspaper?" This was by no account innocent. My intentions were showing. A weakness. I was treading on extremely treacherous ground. I had managed to keep my tone level and avoid detection, I think. He affirmed that I could keep it. But if he had called me on my true intentions, it would have revealed me as not much more moral than a mere thief.

My brutality forced his hand at this point, and he went into the last phase of his charge. The time of innocence was well over. Everything we did and said now had consequences. He reaffirmed his boundless determination once again, by brushing me on the upper arm: a second physical contact. It wasn't a grab, nor a stroke. It was almost nothing. But it was enough to send deep shivers along my spine. His question eased its way to my ear. Did I want to subscribe to NRC Next, using his extremely attractive trial period offer?

I had used up his time, took a paper off him, and was about to give him nothing. But that is how this game sometimes works, and we both knew it. Yet this was the most difficult part of it. I threw my reservations over board and said: "No. Thank you. I'm not interested" Resolutely. Victory was mine! I walked away, the newspaper firmly clutched in my right hand. But then, from behind me, not showing disappointment, but that insistence that I had come to fear over the last 2-3 minutes: "Why not?"

Damnit! I had let joy and happiness cloud my alertness just a second too early. What the hell was I to say? Confess that I just played his game to get a free newspaper for my own amusement? It may have been the right thing to do, but I had already claimed victory in my mind and this wasn't going to happen. I turned my head, and heard myself reply, like a lying coward: "No reason".

I quickly vanished into the supermarket and comforted myself that it wasn't too bad and I had the €1.30 newspaper in my possession. It was a victory, but it had turned into a pyrrhic one in those very last seconds of our battle, through my own pride, my own fault. When I dared to leave the supermarket again, some 5 minutes later, he was no longer there. Nor anywhere in this street and the next one. I felt relieved, but still walked home a little quicker than usual, just to be sure. I still haven't opened my prize newspaper to this moment...

FionaK
view post Posted on 10/6/2011, 10:18

A few minutes ago I got a call from a lady who was concerned about my computer. She told me they have been getting error messages from it for some time and they are worried it might have an infection. So I took its temperature: that was not really useful because I don't know what its temperature should be normally: but it didn't have a runny nose and it wasn't complaining of pain. It is true it is sometimes lethargic though.

The lady would not tell me where she works but obviously there are people out there who are just dripping with compassion for ill computers. I am sorry to report that I told her to go and chase herself: but on reflection that was not nice when she only had my interest at heart

What should I say, if she calls again?

view post Posted on 10/6/2011, 11:31

Group:
Administrator

They are legally obliged to tell you the company they work for. Among some other things.

It can be fun to drag them into your personal dramas: make stuff up.

It's sort of cruel, because you call on their human side, and take their time, which they could have spent earning their salary. But then again, of lot of their salary depends on snaring senile elderly and other fuzzy headed folk...

FionaK
view post Posted on 10/6/2011, 11:33

They are not obliged to do that if they are offshore, Iccarus. That is one of the problems

view post Posted on 10/6/2011, 11:45

Group:
Administrator

Well, in that case: let the cruel games begin! ^_^

Dotter
view post Posted on 11/6/2011, 01:48

QUOTE (Iccarus @ 10/6/2011, 11:31) 
They are legally obliged to tell you the company they work for. Among some other things.

I'd also be pretty curious about how they know about any error messages on your computer.
Misuse of Computers Act, anyone?

view post Posted on 11/6/2011, 01:51

Group:
Administrator

Would you like to send an error report? y/n

Who knows where those end up, you know...

Edited by Iccarus - 11/6/2011, 03:08

26 replies since 6/6/2011, 18:53   225 views