Misuse of Evidence: Incapacity benefit reform

« Older   Newer »
FionaK
view post Posted on 4/11/2011, 14:55

Yesterday I finally got the letter which went missing, so that was good: just a few days late.

But imagine my pleasure at receiving another letter today from ATOS. It advises me that they are paying my expenses for the medical and that I should allow 10 days for the money to be credited.

As I said, this money is a small amount: but for people on benefit it can be a substantial sum in relation to their income. The money was paid out on 12/10/11: and it will be approximately a month before it is reimbursed. That is in line with the general efficiency observed in this company. And remember children, one of the main reasons for contracting things out to the private sector is that they are much more efficient than public servants. NOT!

FionaK
view post Posted on 19/11/2011, 19:49

It gets better!!

http://ht.ly/7z0ML

Today a tory contemptible announced the next phase in this disgusting campaign to remove the sick and disabled from the ranks of the "deserving". Now, instead of getting your assessment after 3 months, you will get it in 4 weeks: apparently four weeks counts as "long term" and it leads to wasted lives. People who claim sickness benefit drift into long term unemployability almost instantly, it seems. They break a toe and instantly conclude they will never work again. They sink into despair and only ATOS can save them. So now one's GP won't be able to sign a sick line for more than 4 weeks; after all, what do doctors know compared to private sector assessors of the quality we now have at our disposal?

There is another interesting feature of this clown's world view as well: you will not be able to claim a sickness benefit if you are sick: at least not for three months. Instead you will claim a job seeker's allowance which is paid at a lower level, and is not actually payable unless you are available for work: which being sick, you won't be. But be assured, this is not an attempt to reduce the benefit bill: perish the thought. Instead it is to help people like me from sinking into apathy and depression. I have news for this freaking genius: his existence on the planet makes me despair: he is a direct cause of the very condition he is seeking to prevent.

Guy makes flat assertions with no basis in reality but reassuringly he still finds ways to give his rich pals some money: employers will get tax breaks for employing people with health problems, he says.

He does point out that occupational health assessment is not a GP's job: how true. But it is not an ATOS assessor's job either, as amply demonstrated by my own experience outlined upthread. Is a doctor without the committment to practice medicine after undertaking extensive training provided by the rest of us a better bet (in terms of the qualities we want in a GP) than, say, a GP? Or is she a selfish cow, who prefers form filling on behalf of a bunch of plutocrats who are intent on pushing the costs of care onto the very poorest, without any sense of "the big society" we hear about in another part of the forest? Who exactly is it who thinks society owes them a living, again?

Maybe it is Carol Black and David Frost, who are heading this initiative: she is a doctor and he is a former head of the CBI: great combination. She has been prominent in all these initiatives for ages: he is quoted as saying

Frost said when people were off sick for longer than four weeks they started "to lose the will to work".

They are both crowing about "evidence based medicine" so I would just love to see the evidence for that little gem. But of course, I won't . He made it up out of his own head, and still had wood left over.

It is interesting that the tory who is pushing this rubbish is one Lord Freud: the apple does not fall far from the tree: presumably he thinks that bubonic plague is psychosomatic ....

FionaK
view post Posted on 18/12/2011, 13:27

http://labourlist.org/2011/12/the-very-definition-of-irony/

A really graphic personal piece about what these bastards are doing. Western Civilisation? Like Ghandi, I think it would be a very good idea.

FionaK
view post Posted on 9/1/2012, 22:09

The government claims that its "reforms" to support for disabled people have been welcomed by a majority. It bases that claim on a "consultation" and it supports the need for the changes by scare-mongering stories about the increase in numbers claiming DLA (the benefit concerned) and the implied inclusion of this group amongst the "scroungers" it sees under every bed.

It has long been obvious that "consultation" is one of those words which does not mean what it used to mean: what it means now is " we need to go through the motions and then we will do whatever we have already decided to do".

In this case disabled people have not been convinced by the government's account of responses it received: so they made a request for disclosure under Freedom of Information legislation: and they have now issued report exposing the lies which have been peddled in parliament and press.

A summary here:

www.ekklesia.co.uk/node/16008

Just how low can these bastards sink, one wonders?

FionaK
view post Posted on 10/1/2012, 19:10

Jings!! Even the Daily Mail is talking sense on this issue. I am shocked!!!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-...achieve-it.html

FionaK
view post Posted on 11/1/2012, 22:22

The house of lords had defeated much of the government's proposals on "reform" of benefits for the disabled. Once again they demonstrate that the surface absurdity of an unelected chamber is not necessarily bad in practice.

FionaK
view post Posted on 1/2/2012, 17:29

Government reinstating its bill today. It is passing

Good post about what is being done here:

http://www.scriptonitedaily.org/2012/01/vo...mnation-of.html

FionaK
view post Posted on 1/2/2012, 18:23

They are invoking the limits on the Lords' power through the provisions protecting finance bills. I am truly depressed and disgusted.

FionaK
view post Posted on 5/2/2012, 19:13

http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2012/feb...ople?CMP=twt_fd

Not exactly unpredictable: but disgusting just the same

FionaK
view post Posted on 9/4/2012, 07:47

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/vi...tos-image-video

Atos is very active in defence of its reputation, it seems. They will do anything to kill criticism (except making sure that an acceptably high proportion of their assessments are at least correct within the limits of the government's aims). It is obviously far more "efficient" to get it wrong a lot of the time but prevent people drawing that to folk's attention.

FionaK
view post Posted on 6/5/2012, 17:48

Ian Duncan Smith is often described as a "compassionate conservative". He is said to have put a lot of thought and research into reform of benefits and to know a lot about the subject. All of this is nonsense, and if you have any doubt about that then this report of his attitudes should help dispel your illusions

www.express.co.uk/posts/view/318425

The Express, I hasten to add for those who do not know, is a right wing paper. They do not normally attack the tories, though just lately it and The Daily Mail have been saying some things I agree with (this does worry me a little, but there it is)

As you can see from the article, the issue is the closure of Remply factories. Those are factories which employ disabled people and they have been in existence since shortly after the second world war. They recognise that disabled people find it hard to get work, and it is true that some changes to discrimination legislation have tended to make that slightly less of a problem than it was when they were set up. But by no means no problem at all. Some of the factories have already been closed on the back of that supposed improvement: and now the government wishes to close the rest.

According to the union concerned 90% of the people made redundant in the last round of closures have not found work. There are 2.7 million people unemployed in the UK according to the governement: much more in the real world. What are the chances of people in wheelchairs or with cerebral palsy getting mainstream jobs in this climate?

It is interesting to note that the idea is to give them help to find work using the private companies the government favours: companies like A4E, who have been subject to investigations of fraud (see other thread). More money funnelled to their pals, then.

But what is really interesting is the exposure of IDS's true attitudes. According to him disabled people in remploy factories do nothing but put the kettle on. This man is the kindest face conservatism has to offer.

FionaK
view post Posted on 31/8/2012, 11:40

As you may know, the government is contributing to the gaiety of nations by providing increasingly surreal things to make us laugh. One of the best of these jokes is the fact that ATOS is sponsoring the Paralympic Games which are currently under way. This has posed something of a dilemma for disability rights groups: the Paralympics are a great opportunity for helping to change attitudes to disabled people: so most rights groups support them. On the other hand ATOS are making life miserable/impossible for many disabled people and so there are large scale protests about ATOS involvement.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/20...lympic-sponsors

www.guardian.co.uk/society/2012/aug..._medium=twitter

It is a sick, really. Hilarious.

So lest we forget what ATOS are all about here is another BBC report about one case:

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-19433535

The lady concerned has died: while she was in her last illness she had to spend time and energy fighting for her benefit because ATOS said she was fit to work. She did have the benefit reinstated eventually: and died very shortly thereafter. This is not a one off. It is not that she "slipped through the cracks" or was in any way atypical: this is in fact what this system does: at huge cost, both financial and human.

You will note that this lady, undergoing treatment for breast cancer, achieved no points on the ATOS assessment. What kind of assessment gives no points for a broken shoulder and no points for a terminal illness? As Helen said, it appears that they are assessing whether you are breathing ....

Edited by FionaK - 31/8/2012, 12:03

FionaK
view post Posted on 31/8/2012, 15:57

http://bambuser.com/v/2946786

I am not sure how long this will be up. It is footage of perfectly peaceful protest against ATOS and the cuts: and then the police arrived....

FionaK
view post Posted on 1/9/2012, 14:06

http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2012/aug...lympics-sponsor

More footage on the protests against ATOS and the policy of demonising disabled people.

36 replies since 26/5/2011, 13:04   830 views