Say Hello, New members introduce yourselves here

« Older   Newer »
bobc
view post Posted on 8/10/2011, 18:47

Hello everyone!

I also know of Fiona from JREF and PMF.

I work with embedded computers and stuff, but I have always wondered how, why and sometimes where, things happen. No kids or pets though. ;)

FionaK
view post Posted on 8/10/2011, 19:01

Hello bobc: nice to see you here.

You will pardon my ignorance, but I have no idea what an "embedded" computer might be. It conjures up a vison of an entirely disinterested and objective machine trying to maintain its integrity at a homeopathy convention ( which is happening in Auchtermuchtie, since that part interests you ). While I find the idea entertaining, I am not sure it is quite right?

bobc
view post Posted on 8/10/2011, 19:20

Hi Fiona, a quick definition of embedded computing is anything that has a computer in, but doesn't look like a computer. ie. computers that are not general purpose computers like a PC or laptop, but have a computer in them. This used to be a pretty good definition, but has become more blurred recently. A smartphone is pretty much a portable computer, which also has a radio modem in it. PCs running Windows are now often packaged up and made into embedded systems, like ATMs or ticket machines in car-parks.

I'm sorry I don't get the reference to homeopathy...

FionaK
view post Posted on 8/10/2011, 22:18

Sorry to be obscure, bobc. The term "embedded" made me think of "embedded" journalists in war zones:and the difficulties they have in maintaining their independence and standards in those circumstances: and I was thinking about the standards a computer has to have, in analogy: which seemed to me to comprise strict logic and precision and stuff like that: which would be hard to maintain if they had to function within the rules of homeopathy. Is that any clearer?

And thanks for the real explantion: learned something today :)

Stafal
view post Posted on 12/10/2011, 01:30

Hello there, username Stafal...I defaulted to it. I fail at making these usernames anymore. Why am I here, I suppose a strange way to return to foruming, when I have time. And also, because I find myself drifting between an interest in the world around me, and a complete disinterest in the world around me.

What does Stafal stand for... laughing1 Sir Trips and Falls A Lot. (acronyms and whatnot, lol) but I'm a girl, it was a weird name from a long time ago, that formed into Stafal that's stuck with me through forms.

Other aliases, since I came here from a site that a handful of you are from.... Tsubaki-chan, Tsu, and all the nicknames that follow that, hey what's up.butterfly The smilies here rock.

So back to why I am here. Okay so I guess I wanna know what's up in the world. And rather than watch the news which I find both boring and depressing I figured heyy lemme check out a forum, plus people from other countries will input there. This being said I can't say that I know much of anything for a fact. My input is what I tend to hear from people around me or if I happen to catch something on the news or news-like stuff (I found myself watching this Sunday Morning Show segment after the morning news, which I tuned out for. I'm not sure why I hate on the regular news so much...) Anything else I learn I tend to have googled due to curiosity. But like I said I have both and interest and disinterest in the world. So I guess I look upon it negatively but heyy I live in it so I might as well at least not be a dummy. ^_^ Here to learn I guess.

And on a random but semi relevant note, I am working on saying my opinion without sounding like an arrogant asshole....so yeah it's still a work in progress. ^^; rm_shifty apologies in advance and feel free to chair and make me step back and think a bit about whatever I may have said if it offends you. ^_^

Long hello, that's a first. ^^ My bad. play_ball

view post Posted on 12/10/2011, 01:35

Group:
Administrator

Welcome to these forums, Stafal ^_^ and bobc!

FionaK
view post Posted on 12/10/2011, 12:38

Welcome Stafal.

I think a lot of people have the same kind of ambiguous attitude you do at present: there is a sort of feeling of powerlessness which underpins it, though that is just my own view. I think it is hard to take an interest and try to understand stuff if you have the idea that you can't do anything about it anyway. But that's what they want you to think!! From my point of view, you certainly can't do anything about it if you don't know about it: so if you find out, who knows? At any rate it is interesting to exchange ideas and it beats being spoon fed by TV, IMO

Good to see you here, anyway :)

Helenagain
view post Posted on 12/10/2011, 13:44

Good to see you here, bobc and Stafal!

I am here so that those of you who are, like me, a bit intimidated by the knowledge of Fiona and Vninect and others, feel more at home. I don't know much about anything, and I am not afraid to show it. Or perhaps I know so little that I don't realise my ignorance is showing?

This is a good place!

FionaK
view post Posted on 12/10/2011, 15:52

* Points at Helen and laughs* gathering

Helenagain
view post Posted on 12/10/2011, 16:38

See? See? People like me have their uses!

FionaK
view post Posted on 12/10/2011, 16:40

Just not the ones you lay claim to, Helen. ;)

Vorgoeth
view post Posted on 9/1/2012, 20:58

Greetings, bigworders. I come from a world some of you may not understand. A world of ice, a world snow. A world coated in darkness, veiled in shadows and framed with frost.

But that's a series of ambiguous melodramatic words which tell you nothing. I'm a student of philosophy with a history in art (and failing at it), but I should also be a familiar face to some here. Assuming they remember me. Boy, that'd be a blow to the ol' ego. I was Aztaroth on The Nexus, and on GB before that, and I recently followed a path of memories through a number of forums, and discovered this here place, which seemed so far up my alley I won't even finish the metaphor.

So, uh, hello.

FionaK
view post Posted on 9/1/2012, 21:10

Hello Vorgoeth: I remember you, certainly. It is really good to see you here :D

view post Posted on 9/1/2012, 21:13

Group:
Administrator

Hey hey! I remember you! I was ik911 on both those forumises. Now, I'm Vninect, trading some of the "mystery" for speech difficulty.

Well, make yourself comfortable here: browse around; post; and feel welcome!

Vorgoeth
view post Posted on 9/1/2012, 21:29

Ah, being remembered: the greatest accomplishment a person dealing in ideas could strive for. Having browsed around some, I see I chose wisely in joining! :)

70 replies since 13/5/2011, 14:28   1593 views