Perceived Political Polatization in the USA

« Older   Newer »
loytymista
view post Posted on 6/11/2014, 23:15 by: loytymista

Hello everyone, it has been a long time.

I have been to a lecture of an American professor and there he discussed some psychological knowledge about politics.
I thought you may find this interesting. Here we go:

Perceived Political Polarization in the USA.
Summary of some biases:

Surprisingly these biases apply more to educated and intelligent persons: they are more capable because of their intelligence to create their own truth.

1. Exaggerate
When individuals are categorized in groups, the individuals will feel that they will differ more from the individuals in the other group than they really are.
In the USA we have the Democrats and the Republicans. Perceived polarization will not be a bad thing for the parties in election time. When individuals feel they are polarized they are more likely to do something for the politic party, and vote. In the lecture they named a number of 9% more, I don't recall where they got it from.

In The American National Election Studies, they measured opinions on political issues over time. Here they confirmed that there was an perceived difference between the parties with a factor of 2, while in real this was a whole lot less.

2. Partisan Identification
If you feel you are very different from the other group, it confirms that your group is of more value if you are correct. This is why individuals like to believe the other group is very different. In real life the correlation of a persons attitude with the politic party is very weak. R = 0.02

3. Attitude Extremity
If a person is feeling very aroused by an issue, he assumes that other person is also very aroused by this issue. The person will think that the person of the other group will think the opposite on the same arousal level (projection and reflection). This is also a false assumption.

4. Climate Policy
Climate policy is an issue of our time. When individuals thought the climate policy came from their party they liked it more. When they thought it was from the other party they liked it less.

That was my summary :)
Hope you found it interesting!

3 replies since 6/11/2014, 23:15   105 views