The film that is alleged to have led to riots

« Older   Newer »
FionaK
view post Posted on 19/9/2012, 03:05 by: FionaK

Well I have been thinking about that as it happens.

In the first place I do not understand why some muslims take the view they do about insult to their religion. It may be a proxy for something else, for all I know. The fact remains that they do. This is known and it has very bad consequences indeed. But even if it didn't there is such a thing as manners. I do not go up to people in the street, look into the pram they are pushing, and tell them they have a very ugly baby. I would expect to get a sore face if I did that, and I do not think the person who punched me would be wrong. There is absolutely no need for gratuitous insult. Basic courtesy is essential for all of us and I am deeply unimpressed by cries of "freedom of speech" or "you have no right not to be offended" in defence of those things. Both of those are important principles but they are not a justification for causing a fight in the street and I am confident that civilised people do not go about doing that kind of thing.

There are profound cultural differences here and it is easy to offend accidentally: but this film was not accidental. It really does not matter whether you think muslims are easily offended or not: they are how they are and unless you have very serious reason to offend them knowingly you should not do it. Because you should not do it to anyone.

5 replies since 15/9/2012, 13:15   55 views