Naked Rambler in jail again

« Older   Newer »
FionaK
view post Posted on 13/9/2012, 17:21

This is really not news because the same thing has been going on for 6 years.

A man called Stephen Gough walks about, mainly in Scotland, without any clothes on. He has never been accused of threatening anyone: never had any convictions for doing anything else so far as I know. But for 6 years he has been almost continuously in jail and in solitary confinement because he won't put his clothes on. Most recently when he appeared in court he broke down in tears. The judge took the view that this showed he might have mental health problems - though I suspect most folk might cry if they were facing jail for the umpteenth time for something they do not consider to be wrong.

It is now reported that he refused to cooperate with the poor bloody social worker told off to make an assessment, and so he has been given another custodial term.

Mr Gough is extremely obstinate: or principled; or daft ....depends on your point of view I suppose. What he is not is dangerous. I found this comment in the report telling:

shows a degree of arrogance and disregard for the rights of other members of the public, in particular children, who have the right not to see naked men.

(my bolding)

What kind of a right is that? What is it about a naked man that renders sight of him a problem so great that we have "rights" which protect us from it? That truly puzzles me. How does that square with his rights? Does he have any? If not, why not?

What are we spending all this money persecuting this man for? Is it imagined that if he is left in peace hordes of folk will follow his lead? In Scotland? In summer with the midges? In winter? If there really are a lot of folk who want to do that let them get on with it: the costs of treatment for frostbite are not likely to be as high as keeping him in jail: and should be offset by sales of insect repellent, I imagine

This is nothing less than embarrassing.

FionaK
view post Posted on 29/1/2013, 15:28

It is not only Scotland, though.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hampshire-21241710#TWEET564167

He was released from prison in Scotland in October and started walking south. He was arrested in December because he has "outraged public decency" in Oxford. He is in custody pending trial in February. Apparently his lawyers tried to get the charges dismissed on grounds of precedent, since it seems a nudist campaigner was acquitted of causing a public nuisance in 2001, after being tried naked before a jury.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/1110330.stm

Despite this, they failed and Mr Gough is again in jail

FionaK
view post Posted on 7/12/2014, 12:42

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime...ng-9823945.html

Mr Gough has failed in the ECHR

"the court in Strasbourg found that while he had a right to freedom of expression, this did not extend to hiking with his pants off, adding that his views on nudity were “shared by very few people”.

Seems this dangerous criminal is going to be locked up for most of his life

Phew!!

FionaK
view post Posted on 22/8/2015, 11:25

Just learned that Mr Gough was freed this month. I am not sure how that has been achieved, given that he is subject to a tailor made ASBO, the absurdity of which is outlined by his lawyer in this piece in the Telegraph in June 2015

www.telegraph.co.uk/news/general-el...-eccentric.html

I have a feeling the costs stated are a very serious underestimate.

Turns out Mr Gough has a website, which you might be interested to see

www.nakedrambler.org/

FionaK
view post Posted on 19/10/2015, 18:43

And again. Just learned that Mr Gough has been convicted again. Sentence has been delayed for some weeks but he has been remanded in custody. I am frankly appalled

4 replies since 13/9/2012, 17:21   600 views