Celtic connections

« Older   Newer »
FionaK
view post Posted on 2/2/2012, 03:58 by: FionaK

As advertised, I went to see a show called "the world turned upside down" It was not what I expected. Karine Polwart hosted it, and her set was as usual: brilliant, she is. The format was four songs each and I knew all but one of what she sang: but I could listen to her all day, and it is good to see her live.

This is one of them: called "Sorry" from her album This Earthly Spell.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=AviADrhX-v8

And Firethief, which she did not sing tonight: but I can't find another she did sing. And this is lovely

www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMAuoYQC9TA&feature=related

Next up was Kamilya Jubran. This was really challenging: she is palestinian and sings in arabic. I could not understand the structure of the music. The voice was great and one of the four songs was more accessible than the others. It would take me some adjustment to get the most from this, however. There is no doubt it is interesting and we got a translation of the words at the door, which was helpful: all four songs were settings of poems from arabic writers: a syrian and one who lives in Beirut, I remember.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=1WmNMzz6_R0

She was followed by John Trudell. He is a in a native american tradition but it could not be said that he sings: this was more performance poetry with a musical background. The first piece was great: with a backing of native american chanting as well as the musicians. The rest were largely "green" which fits with native american concerns, as I understand it: but it was a bit misty twisty for my taste. He is "spiritual", I think. This is the one I liked; but the theme appeals to me...

www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZAq2EKdP0Y&feature=related

Chris Wood is a much more traditional folkie and his songs are often very comment on what is going on: he is engaged and I like his perspective on many of the issues we have. He finished with a really interesting rendition of Jerusalem which challenged the more usual jingoistic flavour: he pointed out the questions and it was a different meaning altogether. He also sang this, about the murder of Jean Charles de Menenez in London. It is probably more typical of his work

www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVecC8oNJl8

And this one: which is about why money cannot buy you a cottage in the Cotswolds: sadly it can: but not always - there are still other values

www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vtxmfI61dY&feature=related

Justin Currie is new to me, but his set was full of energy and anger and it was a very different tone from the others. He sang this

www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4b_dBMfBf0

And this

www.youtube.com/watch?v=peJr2sEhCNY&feature=related

I will look for more of his stuff.

The evening ended with Pura Fe: also singing for and about native americans: what a voice she has. Very powerful. Can't find any of what she sang tonight: but here she is

www.youtube.com/watch?v=8TKHimF4g4o&feature=related

And here with the band she had with her tonight

www.youtube.com/watch?v=9XVJdn_wCjI&feature=related

As you can see this was quite a mix of styles. :)

13 replies since 21/1/2012, 05:09   287 views