Celtic connections

« Older   Newer »
FionaK
view post Posted on 22/1/2012, 05:00 by: FionaK

Today was Vent du Nord's 10th birthday concert: there is a wee medley here which gives a flavour of this fabulous quebecois band

www.youtube.com/watch?v=zC163DaHrHc&feature=related

Last year they toured with Breabach, so Breabach played with them tonight. This is not a great video but it does give a flavour and you can imagine them playing together: lot of energy :)

www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPE70yyCoPU&feature=related

Dervish were there as well: you can get an idea of them here:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fpz9KPgV-qk

This year they are to tour the nordic countries with Vasen: so they joined them, too. Vasen are a great band, and this mix is really well worth seeing if you happen to be in one of those countries in March. They are doing one night in Upsalla in Sweden: two in Finland and one each in Denmark and Norway before coming back here for the Orkney festival

A wee bit of Vasen here:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWorsJwzycw

These are really good musicians but it has to be said that the sheer joy Vent du Nord bring to their performances is a heart lifting thing!!

And that is not all for today. I saw this amazing band from Italy, at the festival club I didn't even know they had bagpipes in Italy and they had a really impressive flute player, not to mention the fiddler. I didn't catch their name so if anyone knows about an Italian folk band who were in Glasgow today, do tell.

Then later Cherish the Ladies did a set and so did Shooglenifty :D. I can't afford to see as much as I usually do this year, but that was lucky for me cos Cherish the Ladies are always good and Shooglenifty are currently my favourite musicians: well today they are :)

www.youtube.com/watch?v=61elxwsdhX0

www.youtube.com/watch?v=cT0GOmUZBl8&feature=related

13 replies since 21/1/2012, 05:09   287 views