Cameron and a Scottish Referendum

« Older   Newer »
FionaK
view post Posted on 26/6/2014, 00:16

Wee Ginger Dog writes a blog which is primarily about Scottish independence. It is the best blog I have ever read, and that is not because of the subject. It is funny, biting, and it very well written. I read it every day.

Today, in face of a sustained attack on Wings over Scotland charging homophobia and misogyny and god knows what all, WGD made this response. It is a very, very good post. So I am linking it here.

http://weegingerdug.wordpress.com/2014/06/...1/#comment-6648

FionaK
view post Posted on 5/7/2014, 19:30

Video

I mentioned food banks when I first came across them a couple of years ago. They shamed me then and they shame me now. There are more and more of them. Yet we are one of the richest countries in the world.

This, above all else, is why we need an independent Scotland. All the Westminster parties are committed to increasing the "austerity" in this country. There is no chance at all that this process will be reversed in the UK, and so we need to take control of our own decisions. Even if we are poorer on average, the poorest can be fed. There is no doubt about that. It is nothing less than evil to allow this to go on if we have a choice. Or so I think

FionaK
view post Posted on 22/8/2014, 00:23

http://vimeo.com/103919058

Full length film about Scottish independence. I think it is very good

FionaK
view post Posted on 11/9/2014, 16:57

Video

Too long, but quite funny.

A lot of labour MP's arrived en masse in Glasgow today to tell us to vote No. This is one person's response. :D

FionaK
view post Posted on 9/2/2015, 21:24

QUOTE (FionaK @ 12/7/2013, 09:43) 
www.parliament.uk/documents/commons...orm%20Paper.pdf

The link is to a paper on land ownership in Scotand. It is quite an eye-opener if you are wondering how the rich manage to stay that way.

This is tainted at least to the extent that the driver is a need to make people accept "fiscal consolidation" (for which read austerity) and the perception that it will be easier if the wealthy are seen to pay proper tax and lose some subsidies. But despite the underlying agenda this is long overdue. As the paper says,10% of all land in Scotland is in public ownership. Of the remaining 90% half is owned by just 432 people. The arrangements they make to ensure that we do not really know who owns what; the sheer scale of public subsidy they are given;and the tax avoidance arrangements they make are covered in some detail.

Scotland has the most concentrated pattern of private land ownership in the developed world

From time to time there is some fuss about this but nothing ever gets done and for some reason our much vaunted free press is not overly concerned to bring it to our attention.

Further to this, there are some proposals for land reform in Scotland now. You will be surprised to learn that the Duke of Buccleugh is "deeply dismayed" by the idea.

The Duke of Buccleugh is the largest private landowner in the UK.

FionaK
view post Posted on 12/2/2015, 17:43

http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/politics/pol...p-2015021295288

There is a general election in the UK in May. So the parties are campaigning, as you would expect. Those of us in Scotland have a problem nicely summed up in the linked article. If we vote for the SNP we will let the Tories in, says the Labour party. If we vote for the SNP we will let Labour in, says the Tory party. And on and on.

We have previously discussed the various political systems available with no very clear cut result. But it seems that the worst of all possible worlds is a FPTP system with multiple parties.

FionaK
view post Posted on 2/10/2015, 18:09

As you are aware, Scotland did not vote to become independent last year. So now, the geniuses of the labour party, who were almost wiped out at the general election in May, have come up with a super idea to reverse their fortunes. They are not going to mention Scotland at all.

http://m.heraldscotland.com/news/13798664....h__etc_instead/

This may be the most self destructive political proposal I have ever seen.

But it is entertaining Twitter and the whole of Scotland really. It doesn't do to take these folk seriously

view post Posted on 3/10/2015, 09:32

Group:
Administrator

The silver lining is that Lord Sugar cum sui might bugger off to China if Labour wins and -if he's correct- the market in its current form will finally come to an end. Interesting times ahead.

FionaK
view post Posted on 3/10/2015, 09:50

Maybe, but I doubt he would really go. These folk say more than their prayers.

Video

Kezia Dugdale is the leader of the *redacted* Labour party. And the link is to a wee video she made with a view to persuading people to return to the labour fold: a party political broadcast, as we call it.

It is positively embarrassing on so many levels, but it is part of a wider strategy she has been using for some time. Ms Dugdale has clearly given up on adults. Her propaganda consists entirely of childish stunts and it is obvious to me that she now thinks that the best she can do is to appeal to those people who admire Peppa Pig and the teletubbies, then wait for them to grow up and are old enough to vote. That is when she thinks her party will be electible in Scotland again

But even there, she is unconvincing: because these creepy wee ones are not all that typical, so far as I can tell. While I do accept folk of this age are very engaged in gender politics, it is my experience that they tend to focus on segregation on the grounds that the other gender is horrible. Issues of differential pocket money might arise from time to time. But I never ever heard a child of this age discuss the equal pay act, and its shortcomings before. And I never knew anyone who is concerned about that issue who would be satisfied by a promise to do something about it. Because those of us who care have heard that for ages and it hasn't happened. Again, though, wee ones who have such worries have not heard it before, being too young. So I suppose it might work on them, if they are orphans with no responsible adults in their lives.

FionaK
view post Posted on 24/3/2016, 08:40

http://wingsoverscotland.com/the-wee-black-book/

What they said, and what they did. Wings has produced another wee book, outlining the content of "Project Fear" in the scottish referendum, and the actual outcomes after they secured a No vote.

Everything they threatened us with was actually a part of their plans, and was implemented after they got their way. Some of us knew that before the event but it is a nice illustration of the power of propaganda.

55 replies since 9/1/2012, 21:43   1211 views