Cameron and a Scottish Referendum

« Older   Newer »
FionaK
view post Posted on 9/1/2012, 22:35 by: FionaK

There is no certainty that Scotland will vote for independence, Vorgoeth. Many people, and I am one of them, have been driven to support it because we cannot get the kind of society we want while tied to England. But many others do not see it that way, and the spread of opinion is very wide indeed. That is as it should be, because the pro's and cons are very complicated. What we need is a grown-up debate about the whole issue, and that cannot happen if we are stampeded into an early vote: nor can it honestly reflect the range of aspiration if the question is too tightly defined, as Cameron wants.

What puzzles me is why people like Cameron care what we decide. According to at least some of the english commentators we are a drain on their resources (subsidy junkies) and if that is the case they should be glad to be rid of us, should that be the outcome. It is true that it would represent a reduction in the number of people they govern, but there are many countries smaller than england and I really do not see why that is a concern.

It may be that it is a matter of sentiment/emotion for them: but that is not really a good reason for a politician to take a stance. I am not seeing any rational argument, though

55 replies since 9/1/2012, 21:43   1211 views