Cameron and a Scottish Referendum

« Older   Newer »
FionaK
view post Posted on 9/1/2012, 21:43 by: FionaK

www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2012/jan/09/s..._medium=twitter

David Cameron was all concerned about me recently: he is appalled by the anxiety I am experiencing because of the lack of a date for a scottish referendum on independence. He wants to help me by making the referendum legally binding, and by bringing it forward so I will know where I stand all the sooner.

In reality he wants to control the timing and the question posed, and to do that he wants to overturn the mandate which the SNP have by dint of a big win at the the last election. The SNP said they would hold a referendum in the second half of this parliament and most of us think it is lkely to be in 2014. Alex Salmond is thinking about having more than one question and that seems fair: many people want more power devolved but not full independence: there is nothing wrong with having that as an option on the ballot.

Today Cameron seems to be surprised by the reaction to his intervention in Scotland and he is running about saying he is only helping: and has my best interests at heart. In a pig's eye. He also mentioned that uncertainty is harming the economy and pointed out that one of the banks recommended that people should not invest in Scottish infrastructure because of it. Well it might come as some surprise to Mr Cameron: but the views of banks and financiers do not settle many questions: certainly not this one. Mr Cameron is a spineless tool of his rich friends and the idea that they are not, or should not be, the only power in the land is beyond his comprehension, presumably. I am not unaware that the big corporations may well try to blackmail or punish an independent scotland into toeing the neoliberal line: and it is possible we may not be able to resist if we do achieve independence: the difference is that we might try. And that is good enough for me.

Cameron is an arrogant, insulated tory with one MP in Scotland and no mandate here at all. None. The response of most people here seems to be the same as mine: "what part of get lost do you not understand?".

Edited by FionaK - 9/9/2012, 13:09

55 replies since 9/1/2012, 21:43   1211 views