What is going on in Hungary?

« Older   Newer »
FionaK
view post Posted on 11/1/2012, 14:22 by: FionaK

www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-16505618

I don't understand this: I did not think the sanctions regime had been agreed yet: but it will be applied to Hungary. Whatever the case (and it may be there were sanctions available before the deal which was agreed and which led to Cameron's walk out) it is now obvious that keeping within the deficit target is not enough: you have to do it the way the EU and IMF like or they will sanction you anyway, if this report is correct.

The commission said Hungary's deficit had only remained within the target 3% of GDP in 2011 thanks to one-off measures and expected the same in 2012.

When the outline of the proposals was explained it was my assumption that if the country kept the deficit below the target there would not be an issue: only if they did not would the EU have a locus: and that was bad enough. It now seems that you do not have to breach the target to be sanctioned: you just have to exercise political sovreignty in a way they don't like. What price democracy? Remember that the proposed target is to be 0.5% of GDP when the measure is implemented.

6 replies since 6/1/2012, 13:25   218 views