Tax

« Older   Newer »
FionaK
view post Posted on 16/10/2012, 22:37 by: FionaK

Starbucks: ever heard of that? You might have, because they have a lot of branches in a lot of countries. Quite a big company you might think. And not exactly cheap.

Starbucks makes a loss in the UK. Every year. On sales of £1.2 billion in the last three years. You wonder why they bother. It is sort of accepted that start up businesses make a loss often, at the beginning. But this is not a start up. If they are not making profit by now then it is hard to see how they ever will. Time to chuck it? Well no. Although they tell the tax office they are making a loss they tell their shareholders they are making such a good profit that they are going to introduce some of the business practice in the UK to their parent organisation in America.

So which is it? Profit and a reasonable explanation of why they keep trading: or consistent losses on large turnover which results in them not paying any tax?

I would boycott them on the basis of which I think is correct: but I don't use them, so I can't make that puny gesture.

http://ht.ly/ewSxK

27 replies since 30/12/2011, 18:53   941 views