Do as I say, not as I do...., The IMF in practice

« Older   Newer »
view post Posted on 11/6/2013, 02:37

Group:
Administrator

There were a number of other nuggets of lunacy in that report. Let me pick what I thought was the silliest one.

Actions were not taken to adjust private sector wages. While the program cut wages
and bonuses in the public sector, there were no direct attempts to lower private sector wages.
The EC took the view that forcing reductions in private wages, for example, through abolition of
bonuses, was not critical: industry did not consider labor cost to be excessive and in any case
exports were unlikely to be wage sensitive.15 Instead focus was on increasing the scope for wage
bargaining at the firm level. The Fund agreed with the emphasis on bringing down public sector
wages, noting the strong demonstration effect that this would have for the private sector.

A strong demonstration effect on the private sector? Are you mad?

Also, note 15 is interesting.

15 See European Commission (2010). Also see Papaconstantinou (2010): “Competitiveness is a broader issue than
wages in Greece and also has to do with the oligopolistic nature of markets: wage cost is part of the discussion
but not a main element.”

So the IMF appeared to agree with the EC that wages don't matter to competitiveness. But in the public sector, they still argued for the need to demonstrate lowering wages, so Industry can follow that example, and presumably make Greece a more competitive country. Or something like that... Bonkers!

FionaK
view post Posted on 12/11/2013, 10:08

www.imf.org/external/pubs/ft/survey/so/2013/CAR111213A.htm

You might imagine that the situation in the Middle East is complicated, and even, for the oil producing states, economically different from everywhere else. You might imagine that this would lead to different economic policy needs than those required by other countries. But you would be wrong, if the IMF is to be believed. The link is to their Middle East survey.

Seems that growth in the middle east countries has fallen because of the global recession and a fall in the demand for oil (as an aside, did you notice the fall in the costs of fuel and power which ought to have attended that - I didn't). Growth in those countries is now projected to fall to 2.25%. The long term average in most places when there is not a recession is somewhere around 3% and the UK is hailing a recovery on growth of less than 1% this year. But 2.25% is a problem in this part of the forest. Fortunately it is a self correcting problem (if you believe the IMF) because they "project" that this will pick up next year. That wouldn't give me any comfort if I was one of those countries, because the IMF are always wrong. But leave that aside.

They also say that the oil producing nations mostly
continue to post solid non-oil growth

. You might think that any nation dependent on a primary commodity which is diversifying successfully is on the right track, if economic growth is your holy grail. But no, apparently not. Though even the IMF is a bit hesitant about telling those nations what to do: so the body of the text does not justify the headline. Indeed the first indication that these are nutters is the fact that the survey lumps oil producing nations in with oil importing nations in that region. That may make sense politically: it does not make sense economically. And that tells you something about this body, which purports to be impartial and expert in giving economic advice. Particularly when you notice they also include Pakistan. Last time I looked Pakistan was not in the middle east: it is, however, an islamic country..... Coincidence? I think not. For they also include Afghanistan...

One quote from them made me laugh out loud when I read it on twitter

Egypt now doesn't need IMF money but IMF expertise to design necessary structural reforms

Well if they have a death wish, that makes sense: but only if they have a death wish

The report then turns to oil importers. Seems that difficult politics and the civil war in Syria is weighing on their "confidence". Well I imagine it is. If the neighbours are killing each other and refugees are flooding in to your country; if the conflicts which cause them to kill each other are also part of your own political landscape, that would indeed make you a bit anxious, I would think. No argument there.

But then comes the fancy footwork. Apparently the oil importers policy priorities include
creating jobs, putting fiscal house in order and embarking—without delay—on a bold structural reform agenda

. No quote in the article to show that any or all of them have actually said that. It is so close to the IMF dogma that one wonders whose policy priorities these actually are? There is a clue in the same paragraph
IMF Middle East Department Director Masood Ahmed told a press conference in Dubai. “In the short run, increased public investment—financed through reallocation of public spending and scaled-up external financial support—can help create jobs and sustain the socio-political transition,” he added.

. Not the governments of the region, then. And yo will note that there is no increase in public spending -just reallocation coupled with hot money from abroad. That has always worked out so well.....

And why is this necessary? Well the headline says that it is because
Mideast Faces Lower Growth Prospects, Needs Bold Policies

. Orly? As noted they say that growth will fall to 2.25%. Only, there is a table in the report which does not say that at all. That figure does not appear in the table anywhere. To achieve it you have to make a projection (and the IMF is happy to do that even though their track record is spectacularly poor) and you have to lump the middle east together (with Pakistan and Afghanistan) though their economies are very different. Lies, damned lies, and statistics, anyone?

Actual growth figures are for 2012. Oil exporters' growth is 5.4%: Oil importers' is 3%. Growth is good in the oil exporting countries and is expected to recover from a temporary drop in oil revenues back to where it was before the recession. All is well then? Nope

without further fiscal cuts, the region’s governments will start dipping into their savings by 2016.

So there we have it. Countries which are experiencing no growth have to make fiscal cuts. Countries which are flatlining have to make fiscal cuts. Countries which are growing have to make fiscal cuts. And that means cutting wages. They soften this by the usual "targeting" rhetoric to give the impression that the poorest will be protected. We know what that means

“In this environment, governments will need to find ways to rein in hard-to-reverse current expenditures, especially wages and subsidies, while targeting high-quality capital investments and social programs. High on the agenda is also the need to pursue structural reforms to bolster private-sector growth, diversification of economic activities, and job creation for nationals and women,” Ahmed told reporters.

So Middle Eastern countries (including Pakistan and Afghanistan) are recommended to create jobs and put in safety nets for the poor: cut spending and raise revenues; and implement structural reforms to create a better climate for business. I wonder which of those inherently contradictory prescriptions would take priority for the IMF? There is yet another clue

“Early progress on each of these priorities can help signal government’s commitment to reform, improve confidence, and propel much-needed private sector activity,” Ahmed said, For this, stepped-up support from the international community is needed, not only through scaled-up financing, but also through enhanced trade access and more technical assistance, he added.

I love that phrase "technical assistance"! So there is not political agenda here at all: it is just technical. Technically Pakistan and Afghanistan are part of the middle east, apparently....

FionaK
view post Posted on 28/2/2016, 15:14

www.imf.org/external/pubs/ft/fandd/2016/03/furceri.htm

The IMF finds that lack of capital controls leads to increased inequality of income etc. But as ever, that does not lead them to abandon their policy prescription. And, as usual, the benefits which accrue in theory are not really elaborated. But they are definitely there: no question: never doubt it. So the conclusion is carry on doing it, even though it is always detrimental (though less in some economies than others): but do it carefully. That way your losses will be less (though still losses) and the benefits they fantasise might be "more likely" to materialise. Though they never actually have.

FionaK
view post Posted on 22/3/2016, 20:16

https://blog-imfdirect.imf.org/2016/03/22/...ter/#more-11942

Another piece of dogma driven fuckwittery from the IMF. Water is underpriced and this is a very bad thing.

The piece is the usual tissue of neoliberal assertion, with the cliches to the fore as always. We get "tragedy of the commons" and we get "misallocation of resources" But most entertaining is "demand outstrips supply" and this is a a clear sign that water is underpriced. Only on planet neolib.

Note that the same analysis applies to India and California. Note that in California , drought and unprecedently high temperatures played a part in water shortage, but underpricing also "played a role". Orly?

What I liked best, though was this part

Water pricing reform should be an essential component of any drive to improve water management, helping to rationalize demand, improve its delivery, and unlock further supply.

Where is that going to come from, then? Will some supreme being be dead pleased with a price rise and so make more?

Breathtakingly blinkered. As always.

view post Posted on 12/8/2016, 09:16

Group:
Administrator

the IMF's "independent evaluation office" got around to evaluating the IMF's role in the decisions leading to the disastrous policy that plunged Greece into a ravine around 2008-2010, from which they have not emerged yet.

www.ieo-imf.org/ieo/pages/CompletedEvaluation267.aspx

I haven't read it, but I've read about it. (in dutch) According to that article, the IEO agrees: The approach was a fiasco, and the IMF was wrong in participating in the scheme. Note that they distance the IMF from the scheme-making, for which they blame the (European) politicians, for they see the IMF as "rational" technocrats, not agenda'd political forces. Which means there probably was an alternative, after all.

19 replies since 12/11/2011, 10:09   620 views