NHS privatisation

« Older   Newer »
FionaK
view post Posted on 29/1/2014, 17:25

And back to Circle.

You will recall that this company gained the right to run an NHS hosptial (Hinchinbroke) with much fanfare and a heavy emphasis on its structure. It was presented as a "John Lewis style" enterprise, though workers only owned 49% of it through a company called Circle Partnership Ltd, and the rest was held by an offshore outfit called Circle Holdings: essentially a hedge fund (see upthread). We were invited to believe that this was an exciting new development in health care where clinical excellence would be ensured through the incentives provided by employee participation in ownership and, presumably, management

It is interesting to find that this much vaunted arrangement is coming to an end, though curiously this has not been so widely reported. Odd that.

On 2/12/13 it was reported that Circle Partnership had signed an agreement to advise a chinese financial multi national called CITIC on how to duplicate its employee ownership model.

On 23/12/13 it was announced that Circle Holdings intended to acquire Circle Partnership: so it seems they are selling a failed model to the Chinese. Interesting.

This has now happened. The hedge fund majority owner, Circle Holdings, has "acquired" the 49% previously owned by the employees through the company Circle Partnership Ltd. According to Private Eye the stated reason for this change is that the mutual model was "overly complex and costly to administer".

It is presumably wholly unrelated to the fact that the company is still losing money (it has never made a profit nor even broken even) and is still incurring debt, from investors who may well be influenced by the fact that many NHS trusts are in financial trouble because of the PFI scandal. When an NHS facility cannot balance its books it is obvious that something has to be done. That something is very likely to be handing the facility over to a private company which cannot balance its books either. Makes sense to me: not!

Some of the employees were expected to be offered free shares in the larger company (which presumably means that they don't get any money for their existing shares) but no proportion was to be reserved for employees and of course their holdings will be a smaller proportion of the larger company than they were of Circle itself.

It seems to me that the model which was so widely touted was nothing more than spin to help soften public attitudes to NHS privatisation: it has served its purpose and now it is gone. Why am I not surprised?

ETA: handy outline of some of the information available about Circle here

http://nhsforsale.info/private-providers/p...2/circle-2.html

Edited by FionaK - 29/1/2014, 17:00

FionaK
view post Posted on 27/9/2014, 01:39

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2014/se...brooke-hospital

Seems that all is not as well as it might be at Hinchingbroke.

FionaK
view post Posted on 9/1/2015, 19:46

So farewell, Circle.

The private company has decided to pull out of the contract to run Hinchingbroke hospital. According to them this is due to a cut in government funding coupled with an increase in demand on A&E, which happens to be a big issue this week in England: It affects every hospital in the country. It is not an option to just walk away if you happen to be part of the NHS, of course. That is why public provision is a better idea, IMO.

As it happens, the CQC has reported on Hinchingbroke's performance this week. As I noted above, it was not doing well in September of last year. Now it is doing so badly that the CQC decided to put it into "special measures" because the care was not safe, the patients were neglected, staffing levels were inadequate, and the "leadership" poor. According to the company most of that is untrue so it must be mere coincidence that the decision to walk away came at the same time as the report.

You will remember that Hinchingbroke was performing well on those kinds of measures before it was privatised. The problem was financial: allegedly. Privatisation was going to solve the financial problems and provide better care as well. Turns out the hospital continues to lose money and the standards have dropped below even the minimal requirements we see in CQC reports in other sectors. And none of that is Circle's fault, either.

Nor does this mean that privatisation is a stupid answer to the wrong question. Not according to the government, nor its creature the CQC.

Yet this exciting innovation has failed and it didn't take very long. I admit I am surprised they couldn't make a profit, for reasons I gave upthread. Seems the private sector can't do what they are supposed to do in their own terms (ie make money), much less provide good quality medical care, which, to them is a secondary consideration. I wonder why we continue to pretend they have skills.

FionaK
view post Posted on 18/5/2015, 22:05

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/dr-zoe-nor...kushpmg00000067

She doesn't miss and hit the wall. Nothing new here, but a cry from the heart

63 replies since 3/9/2011, 11:56   1687 views