NHS privatisation

« Older   Newer »
FionaK
view post Posted on 8/2/2012, 11:46

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/20...ence?CMP=twt_gu

Devastating piece from Ben Goldacre re the "evidence" underpinning the Lansley "reforms" (sneer quotes intended)

ex nihilo
view post Posted on 8/2/2012, 12:16

So... Is the NHS going to become privatised?

FionaK
view post Posted on 8/2/2012, 12:22

That appears to be the aim of this government. They have difficulty because the people are almost universally against it: so they are doing it by stealth, so far as they can. Some believe that they are honest: for myself I have no doubt this is what they are doing.

ex nihilo
view post Posted on 8/2/2012, 13:58

Dito, at least that's something we agree on.

Not particully fond of the New right ideoligy they hold. Geting rid of national systems will ruin the majoriety of peoples lives while leaving the minoriety to dine in luxury. Sometimes, I think democracy goes in second place to these peoples intrests.

FionaK
view post Posted on 8/2/2012, 14:15

Well I have made it clear all over this board that I do not think they are demcrats at all. They are plutocrats, so far as I can see

ex nihilo
view post Posted on 8/2/2012, 17:49

Heh, probaly right on that one. A plutocracy discised as a democracy. I don't think Britian is the only case of this however. America is the same, and so are many other western and european nations.

FionaK
view post Posted on 8/2/2012, 18:11

I think that America is further down the road than we are, for various reasons: I think that we are quite far advanced on it: and I think the direction of travel is pretty much the same in europe, though they lag a little. But to me it seems that the reason for all of it is the capture of politics and power by the very rich: and that is global. They have been remarkably successful in imposing a particular narrative as the default position and they have done it over many years. By now it is hard to even see the tale told: much less offer an alternative.

Having said that, I do not believe the people buy it to the extent that we are told: we cannot be sure for no alternative is offered. It would be nice to to test that

ex nihilo
view post Posted on 8/2/2012, 18:37

Definatley.

FionaK
view post Posted on 12/2/2012, 12:15

www.healthemergency.org.uk/pdf/TeachyourselfLansley.pdf

Glossary of how words are used by this government when talking about their "reforms"

I do not know if this privatisation can be stopped: but I do know that when the front page of the Mail is devoted to the underlying corruption that is the involvment of McKinsey, it is a disaster for the policy

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-20...th-reforms.html

Edited by FionaK - 12/2/2012, 11:37

FionaK
view post Posted on 13/2/2012, 21:53

You will remember that I said this about the ownership of Circle in a previous post.

Circle Holdings is not the ultimate owner of Circle Health, however, because it is itself owned through a complicated structure with bases in tax havens such as Jersey and the British Virgin Islands. 28.9% of it is owned by a hedge fund company called Lansdowne UK,(domiciled in the Cayman Islands) founded by Tory party donor Paul Ruddock. A further 16.6% is owned by Odey Asset Management and its founder, Crispin Odey, is also a Tory party donor. A company called Balderton Capital III owns 16.9% and the rest is owned by BlueCrest Venture Finance Master Fund (14.9%) and Blackrock (12.9%)

At the time I looked at Odey Asset managment and then I just had a quick look at the others, which all seemed to be fairly straightforward hedge and investment funds.

So I was curious to note this today, in Barclay's accounts to the end of December 2011.

Adjusted profit before tax and adjusted performance measures have been presented to provide a more consistent basis for comparing business performance between periods. These measures exclude: the impact of own credit; gains on debt buy-backs; loss on disposal of a portion of the Group’s strategic investment in BlackRock, Inc.; the impairment of the investment in BlackRock, Inc.;

I wondered if that is the same company. I had a look about and I discovered this:

www.guardian.co.uk/business/2009/ju...rclays-bank-arm.

In 2009 Blackrock sought to buy a subsidiary of Barclay's bank called Barclay's Global Investors (BGI) for $13.5 billion.The deal was to be paid for with $6.6 billion cash and $6.9 billion in shares. In other words Barclays would end up with 20% of Blackrock.

It is really strange how these things are portrayed: it is presented as a purchase by Blackrock of a part of Barclays: but Barclays ends up owning a 5th of Blackrock. It is not a bit of wonder that people get confused.

200 of Barclay's employees owed 4.5% of BGI and so they stood to make profit from this deal: Mr Diamond, the Barclay chairman who thinks our heads button up the back, was personally likely to make $20 million dollars on this deal alone.

Now I do not know how they got those shares in the first place. But we do know that senior bankers often get shares in the bank they run as part of their bonuses. It occurs to me to wonder if the shares in BGI were like that: and if so what they were said to be worth when they were paid in the first place. It is reported (see second link, below) that Mr Diamond paid £6 million for shares and options between 2003 and 2009: but that does not exclude the notion they were part of his remuneration package. I do not know.

Blackrock said that the takeover of BGI would mean it was managing combined assets worth £2.7 trillion. That is a very big asset management company.

The next thing I discovered was that in 2011 Blackrock's home page states that it is a very big investment adviser which has assets under management of $3.35 trillion at the end of September 2011. So we are in the same ballpark. Could be the same company. And that is finally confirmed by the fact that iShares is shown as a subsidiary on their welcome page: iShares was part of the 2009 transaction and is mentioned in the article I linked.

Then I found this

http://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/circle-ho...-114200451.html

That is a notification of a change in share ownership and I presume that it is mandatory. It shows that Blackrock UK Absolute Holding Fund has disposed of some shares in Circle Holdings. At the time I was looking at the ownership of Circle Blackrock held 12.9% of Circle: this notification has been triggered because the holding has reduced below 10% (seems to be some kind of threshold system) and it happened on 25th January this year. At the bottom of the notification it shows that the full name of the notifier is Blackrock (NYSE) Inc. So I am pretty confident this is the same company

The deal with Barclays was reported in June 2009. So it was interesting to find that in July of that same year, millions were wiped off the Blackrock share value: and Mr Diamond and his pals lost money on the deal

www.guardian.co.uk/business/2009/ju...P=ILCNETTXT3487

It might occur to you to wonder what that did to Mr Diamond and his friends Capital Gain: and therefore to their liability to tax....

It is also curious to note that of the $6 billion dollars in cash to be paid for BGI, Barclays lent Blackrock $2 billion of it. There was a "risk warning" attached to the information to the effect that Blackrock might not be able to pay the interest on that loan. Yet it was said to be on commercial terms. Does your bank lend you money when you tell them you might not be able to make the payments?

This is quite murky but although the barclay's stuff is intersting my main point is that a company which was a substantial stakeholder in Circle is not worth quite so much now and has sold on that interest. It looks as if the purchaser is an arm of our old friends Delta, though I am not sure about that. But the game of musical shares has begun before the ink is even dry on the Hinchingbrooke contract, by the look of it

Edited by FionaK - 13/2/2012, 21:49

FionaK
view post Posted on 13/2/2012, 23:44

www.buildoffsite.com/pdf/Events/2012/30.11.11_Circle.pdf

Stumbled on this while digging about. Appears to be a sales pitch for kit built hospitals. Circle want 25 of them. They are still focussing on shiny...

FionaK
view post Posted on 18/2/2012, 11:36

David Cameron has called a meeting to discuss his "reforms", at short notice. Oddly he has not invited those who oppose it outright

http://bengoldacre.posterous.com/who-is-an...amerons-emergen

FionaK
view post Posted on 18/2/2012, 23:33

Want to know why they are so set on privatising our NHS despite the political costs?

Here is a clue

http://socialinvestigations.blogspot.com/2...ilation-of.html

ex nihilo
view post Posted on 19/2/2012, 19:44

QUOTE (FionaK @ 19/2/2012, 06:33) 
Want to know why they are so set on privatising our NHS despite the political costs?

Here is a clue

http://socialinvestigations.blogspot.com/2...ilation-of.html

It seemd kind of obvious, I suppose. I can understand the neo-con Torys and the Lords wanting to get rid of it (lib dems, maybe. I'm not to sure what branch of librilism they follow), but what about Labour? Do they have a intrest in privatising the NHS. I know they (to my knowledge anyway) set it up, but that doesn't mean they'll take it down again.

FionaK
view post Posted on 20/2/2012, 19:41

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-17104463

MP paid £50,000 a year by Circle forgot to mention that when speaking in support of the health bill.

It occurs to me to wonder, not for the first time, why an MP can take wages which represent remuneration for two full time jobs on median wages from a private company, when we are paying them to work for us. Can a man serve two masters?

63 replies since 3/9/2011, 11:56   1687 views