music to share, I like folk: what you gonna do about it?

« Older   Newer »
FionaK
view post Posted on 1/8/2013, 18:48

I came across this live version of Solid Air from 1978. As I have mentioned elsewhere I love John Martyn's work, so that was good in itself.

Video

What I did not know is the song was apparently written for Nick Drake. Who happens also to be a favourite musician: and who died when he was still very young. It seems they were friends.

Nick Drake left only 3 albums and they are all great. Here is just one song to share

Video

FionaK
view post Posted on 10/8/2013, 11:01

This morning I am having a wee Ewan McColl fest to myself. It is because I am working and I am allergic to what the right have made of my country. You bump up against it when you are employed. All the time :)

Ewan McColl and Peggy Seeger on how we got into this mess: it was the "Economic Miracle"

Video

As well to remember this from time to time when listening to the attack on the poor. The account of the situation before Thatcher saved us from the horror has become history by now :)

The elite can do all our jobs, of course. That is why they are the elite

http://grooveshark.com/#!/s/Parliament...ka/2RSUhc?src=5

Think I linked Frances Black's version of Legal/Illegal before cos I couldn't find the original: but it is here now

Video

Edited by FionaK - 10/8/2013, 11:16

FionaK
view post Posted on 5/7/2014, 01:20

Video

This is Karine Polwart with someone called Alkinoos Ioannidis, who is a greek cypriot. The melding of these two songs is lovely and it can't be easy. I love this

FionaK
view post Posted on 8/8/2015, 12:47

Video

Another from Brian McNeill.

I did not know this was readily available. He sang it at Celtic Connections more than once some years ago. I recall one occasion at the festival club: there was a table of Americans beside mine. A roomful of Glaswegians singing this proved too much for them and they left :)

FionaK
view post Posted on 27/8/2015, 10:18

Not folk, really.

But I really like this

Video

Video

FionaK
view post Posted on 30/9/2015, 09:28

This isn't folk either, but it is really good IMO. He has quite a range of styles, as well, and does them all well

Video

eg: great cover of a Beatles song, here

Video

FionaK
view post Posted on 5/11/2015, 18:16

I don't remember if I have posted this before, but if I have, ignore. I just really like her version of this song. And I was listening to it again today cos it suited my mood.

Video

FionaK
view post Posted on 31/1/2016, 00:38

Video

Gretchen Peters is a kind of a country singer. But I like her songs, interesting lyrics, often

Video

view post Posted on 19/12/2018, 22:49

Fiona K

Group:
Administrator