Europe's emergency aid to Greece, A dual disappointment

« Older   Newer »
view post Posted on 6/6/2015, 01:01

Group:
Administrator

QUOTE (FionaK @ 5/6/2015, 01:48) 
https://sturdyblog.wordpress.com/2015/06/0...-to-all-of-you/

This is an interesting perspective on the situation with regard to Greece, now. The writer is Greek and spends much of his time in the UK, but I gather is in Greece now and has at least some feeling for the mood of the people in his own part of the country, presumably. And a better grasp of how things are seen there than the usual commentators, presumable

The piece makes some interesting points, and I would like to comment on some of them, to make them perhaps even more explicit.

1. The crisis is not an economic, but a political one.

This seems to be the most crucial one, and all the other points are derived from this central point. And the author is completely correct in pointing us to it, though perhaps it is unfair to deny the economic catastrophe, which is how he phrased it.

In the public debate, the debt crisis is seldomly discussed in terms of politics, but rather in terms of budgets and who owes what. They are meaningless statistics without a political analysis. I do not know how much money would be structurally set apart to "save" Greece, and whether or not that is indeed negligable in the European budget, as the author suggested. If it is hundreds of millions of euros that are paid by other European taxpayers, it's a big deal, no matter the size of the total budget, and I suspect that the author's stance is an unhelpful simplification. But you should be asking the right questions about this money. If it is to repay debts, we may first want to discover who it is really owed to and why it is important that they be repaid, especially given the difficulty in raising the funds - which is a financial problem that requires a political judgment. If it is money needed for investment and upkeep, we need to also take into account returns and feedback effects - a political question that can benefit from a thorough economic analysis. Ultimately however, after the projections and budgets and options have been scanned, a choice on the matter has to be made, and we won't quite know what will happen in the future, whether we choose to do nothing, or to turn the wheel radically. This is political.

On the other hand, the (global) financial system cannot be denied. It is in place in a certain way, and therefore has effects, even if you decide to phase out all the money in whatever area you can effectively politically influence. The Tsipras government, from what I gather, has not been able to deliver (yet?) on their promise to renegotiate the deals made with the Troika (IMF/EU/ECB), and this has disappointed many people. But the debt- and financial system of Greece is tied in with that of Europe and the world in complex imaginary and real-world ways. Whatever is decided in Greece has effects on this larger context - some very hard to foresee; for me at least - and it may also have to be repeated for other countries that are in a similar debt conundrum right now, Spain being the most likely next candidate. There is probably not going to be a simple answer like cut all debts and see what happens. We aren't sure what will happen to investment, capital, the euro, and the European financial system, when moral political choices are imposed on this (section of a) rotten, but existing economic structure. Then again, perhaps a simplisticly brutal solution is just what this Gordian knot needs??

2. The measures being counter-proposed by the EU are undeliverable and punitive.

They are simply terrible policy proposals, that seem out of place in a negotiation about purely financial matters, which we estiblished before it is indeed not. However, even though I accept that politics should be part of the discussion, I do not think that the EU or any other international organization is correct in imposing certain political choices on a sovereign state in return for financial aid. I'm not saying that the EU should be happy to give money to whoever asks, but I am disturbed by the tit-for-tat take-it-or-leave-it negotiation style. We're not talking about two independent individuals exchanging goods and services. These are sovereign nations with interlocking economic markets, joined into a union of cooperation. For one side in the negotiations to just haggle over strange proposals to the other until he says yes is freakishly simplistic.

3. The entrenched position of the players has to do with domestic rather than international policies.

It seems to me that we are in a weird constellation that I have yet to see explained, in which all policy makers in the European countries that I know of, are some local versions of right wing neoliberals. That is why the enacted policies align against Greece.

4. A fundamental misjudgment of Syriza in general and Tsipras in particular.

I would not give him too much praise, just yet. The party is rapidly transforming, evidenced for example by its congress voting out the intention to nationalize banks. That is not to say that by doing that they are now no longer left or radical, but banks are a rather central part in this situation, and it seems sensible to keep such an option firmly on the table. Or let me put it differently: I can't quite imagine why a left radical party would take it off, except as to appear reasonable to centrists.

5. A Grexit would be disastrous for the EU.

I just don't know about this, and I mean that both as a denial of knowledge and as a refusal to go along with the story that the author sketches. I think a "Grexit" can have many shapes, and, while it isn't unimaginably that the rest of the EU leaders will push Greece off vindictively, maybe as a deterrent, there's for example a chance that will fail. Too many branching things can happen. Maybe China swoops in, however that takes shape, or Russia. And maybe tensions will ease around the Black Sea and Turkey as a result?? Or maybe no swooping. Maybe trade will pick up with Egypt and other North African and Eastern Mediteranean countries. Makes some sense with all the refugees present to establish ties.

A Grexit will be disastrous, chaotic and traumatic for Greece, but if I may be permitted to be naively optimistic all of a sudden, they may overcome the difficulties and come out the other end very differently - at least without some union making unilateral demands for regressive taxes for example?

6. There was an underestimation of popular support for Syriza and misunderstanding of the mood in Greece.

This is surprising and positive.

7. Greeks are busiest in the summer.

I'm on a plane there tomorrow, for 2 weeks. :)

_______

The reason this matters to all is twofold. First, it forces out into the open and brings into sharp contrast the increasing divergence between the wellbeing of markets and the wellbeing of populations. Second, it marks a clear act of economic blackmail by a global de facto establishment – let’s call it “The Davos Set” – unhappy at a democratic people opting for an alternative to neoliberalism.

How these tensions resolve themselves will determine whether national elections remain meaningful in any way; whether democratic change is possible or violent revolution is in fact the only effective option.

Important.

FionaK
view post Posted on 5/7/2015, 19:38

Is it too early to admit to hopeful tears as the results of the Greek ref come in?

FionaK
view post Posted on 5/7/2015, 21:04

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CJLGAGYWEAExnbU.png

This should be more widely known, given how much ink has been expended on the Greek situation. Funny it is not a focus of the reports, really

FionaK
view post Posted on 7/7/2015, 09:40

http://neweconomicperspectives.org/2015/07...er-no-vote.html

Not sure quite where to put this, but it is relevant to Greece, though not really about Greece per se. It rehearses many of the arguments I have put forward in other places on this board, not least the fact that the Greek bail out was clearly inadequate to deal with the crisis, and known to be so when it was made; and the fact that the money did not go to Greece (or in its turn, to Ireland) but rather to the banks. The genesis of the "sovereign" debt in Ireland through the government's decision to take responsibility for private losses is also reiterated.

Trichet's praise for the strength of the Irish economy prior to the crash, because of its adoption of neoliberal prescriptions is better elaborated in this piece than it has been on this board, though the points have been outlined here before.

I am linking to this piece "lest we forget". Mr Trichet was on Radio 4 this morning to demonstrate that he has learned precisely nothing from the comprehensive failure of his analysis since he made the speech referred to in the article. One would think that a person who publicly makes his position and understanding clear, and who finds it is wrong in every particular, would change his mind. But that is not the neoliberal way, of course, being faith based.

One wonders what would count as disproof of a theory, if this does not. Maybe I should put it in "crazy things economists believe" instead.

view post Posted on 14/7/2015, 08:52

Group:
Administrator

In an extraordinary week, the Greek people voted against crazy European demands, knowing full well the risks they were taking with the future of their country, their currency, their place in the international community. And then, their prime minister accepted crazy European demands. The deal includes, as the bbc put it: "measures to streamline pensions, raise tax revenue and liberalise the labour market", all of which is terrible newspeak, yet requires no translation. The price of the third bail-out is paid in poor people's suffering.

Also, all valuable assets will be sold off. The government is not to lay any proposals for legislation to its parliament before revision by the European institutions (though only on matters that are relevant, it says in the document, but I suspect that area is probably called "politics"). This deal is Versailles.

My theory is that somebody has Tsipras' family. Or maybe that he is trying to go Leninist, and make it worse before it can get better. But that's idiotic. It seems I am lacking some piece of the puzzle: I can't see why he would agree to this.

FionaK
view post Posted on 14/7/2015, 09:22

Me neither. I am furious but I am also puzzled. I truly do not understand anything that has happened since the referendum in Greece.

I like your theory: it makes more sense than anything else

view post Posted on 15/7/2015, 21:17

Group:
Administrator

According to the prime minister, the following three options were on the table:

1. A default and quick (orderly) exit from the euro and eurozone.
2. (Schäuble) A quick exit from the euro and eurozone, with retention of all debts, to be repaid. This proposal disqualifies that man.
3. Accept further austerity measures to get bailed out.

With 1 and 2 being unacceptable for his party, as they ran explicitly on the promise not to go out of the euro and europe.

Also, interestingly, the prime minister of my country had a bright idea: To scrap the ERT public radio and television broadcaster, again. Because yeah, that will free up a lot more money than the revenue lost through Dutch tax constructions. Hypocritical bastard.

FionaK
view post Posted on 16/7/2015, 12:49

It seems to me that Syriza was in an impossible position because of the point you raise: that the Greek people appear to want to stay in the euro at any price. Without the possibility of a decision to walk away, they had to accept anything that the EU decided to impose. It is likely that they were a bit naive, in that they may have thought that a certain pragmatism would be in play and that the EU would wish to find some solution with a chance of working. If so then I think they misunderstood entirely what is actually happening here. None of this is about solutions: all of it is about maintaining the neoliberal hegemony and so called "globalisation". It is no longer possible to believe that the elite are honest when they maintain that this position will lead to greater prosperity for all: they have no interest in the adverse effects on ordinary people; no commitment to democracy; and they know that their rhetoric is a a fairy story. They are not mistaken.

I regret that Greece has condemned her people to perpetual and increasing poverty and debt servitude: and I think that is what has happened here. I see no end to the worsening of the problem, as framed by this "deal". The IMF (for whom I hold no brief at all) appears to agree. The EU powers pretend to respect for the expertise of the IMF, but had their analysis before the negotiation and chose to ignore it. Apparently we are all supposed to do what the IMF tells us; but only if it suits the pre-determined conclusions. In other words, their role is to provide a fig leaf for what the plutocrats want to do. If they step out of that role then suddenly they do not count. This is also true of economists, who are sidelined where they do not support the project of plutocracy.

To me, Syriza have not been straight with the people of Greece. I think that is down to naivity, not the kind of dishonesty displayed by the other side. But it would have been better if they had presented the Greek people with the reality that their wishes are inherently contradictory: for Greece cannot reject austerity while refusing to contemplate leaving the eurozone. And this was obvious before the recent events. It is most like that they cannot reject austerity and stay in the eurozone: but that is not absolutely certain, because it depends on how the other party calculate the price of a Greek exit. Maybe they would have offered a workable deal if Syriza had that option. They didn't choose to seek that mandate during the referendum and this is the result.

I have no idea if that mandate would have been granted, if sought. I do not know what price Greek people were prepared to pay for their preferred option. But I do know that they will pay it now and all they have gained is continued membership of a eurozone which will continue to kill them, intentionally and without concern. While we are using loades words, "appeasement" is one

In this country the Germans are getting the blame for this, amongst those commentators who do not see it as workable, at least. There is suspicion of Schauble and of the German government and there is a perceived split between Germany and France. Other nations are variously assigned to one side or the other and it is all discussed in terms of the nation state. This is not a good development because parallels are being drawn with past German attempts at european domination, and there is now a narrative which suggests that German ambition is just as it was in the last century. At present the phrase is domination using banks not tanks. How long will that last? I have long been concerned that the neoliberal economic policy necessarily ends in war: for ages I could not see who would fight. More recently I became worried that it would be "the same people as last time". In the UK this seems to have moved us a step closer to that outcome, and anti german feeling is never far from the surface here.

This is not about nation states, or about national character: it is about class war, IMO. But it will not be framed that way and it will not be perceived that way. It takes a long time to set up a situation which allows war in europe. And perhaps the "commemorations" of various military anniversaries here is coincidence. But we marked the start of WW1 last year: and we have been treated to accounts of Waterloo and the battle of Britain this year as well. I hope I am paranoid. I hope that the "annexation of Greece" does not become a phrase in the future when discussing the genesis of WW3. Perhaps the war will remain purely financial and will not become a matter of armies. Not sure that ever happens, however.

For this is "annexation" so far as I can see. Greece, as a nation state, no longer exists. It seems to me that for some of the european plutocrats that is not a bad thing. What does "ever closer union" mean to them? I suspect it means a european plutocratic state, perhaps organised federally, but nonetheless one state. The peoples of europe are not ready for that, I don't think. But if it is effected this way, where will they find the means to resist? There is the appearance of a national government, but no substance to it. Our democracies do not appear to have a defence, so far. You can vote for anyone you like, but the banks always win the elections. For they have bought the governments, now, not just the parties.

There are opposition movements in many places, and they will look on the Greek experience and they will learn. But what will they learn? That it is hopeless? That peaceful means do not work in a plutocracy? We have seen this polarisation before, with its concomitant demands for "strong leadership/government" whether of left or of right. Peace in Europe is not a consequence of the nuclear deterrent, though that is the story. To me it was a consequence of the post war consensus which met the needs of everyone to some extent, and of no one completely. That was due to the recognition that laissez faire economics causes violent division: we have abandoned that understanding and we travel a road well worn. Or so I fear.

There are also those who do not see the imposition of one european state as the aim, however. Some here are suggesting that the aim is to force the weaker economies out of europe: first Greece then Spain, Italy, Portugal and who knows who else. Then the others will be happy in a union which is economically more equal and all will be well. But they still envisage a smaller EU built on German prescriptions, and so those voices do not challenge the German domination narrative. So that does not help.

It is said that people were sleepwalking into the first world war. That nobody wanted it but it arose because of smaller agreements and treaties and tension which incrementally made it inevitable. And one small event sparked it, and it could not be stopped. I am not sure that is correct. But if it is, are we there again? Or on the way there?

If I am merely paranoid, I want to be corrected. Soon please.

PS: I just heard that Japan has decided to abandon its pacifist stance and allow its soldiers to take military action overseas. Coincidence, I hope

Edited by FionaK - 16/7/2015, 13:41

FionaK
view post Posted on 5/9/2015, 11:57

"Finland was in nothing like the same position, unless you have information to show otherwise. However it did join the euro in 1999, as I understand it. We will see how it fares in the future."

I wrote that on this thread in 2012. I take no pleasure in linking this report about Finland's currrent position

http://www.businessinsider.com/finland-is-...ion-2015-6?IR=T

It is from Business Insider, which , it will come as no surprise to learn, does not reflect my views about what should be done, at all. But it does show that the mooted "work your way out of economic problems" does not work under current arrangements.

"Soini has admitted that he is "not committed" to the single currency, while the country's crisis in the 1990s was helped by a massive devaluation, which cannot be repeated now that Finland belongs to the 19-nation club."

Nonetheless the govt does not admit that devaluation would work, and instead puts faith in the same failed austerity which has destroyed lives across Europe.

FionaK
view post Posted on 6/4/2016, 03:26

Finland did not work its way out of the crisis in the 1990's so far as I can discover. It devalued its way out, as you would expect. Greece cannot do that because it is in the eurozone. If you cannot devalue then on current economic orthodoxy the only way is austerity. Finland was in nothing like the same position, unless you have information to show otherwise. However it did join the euro in 1999, as I understand it. We will see how it fares in the future.

That is something I said in response to Vorgoeth in 2012. It came back to me when I was reading a post from Bill Mitchell today

http://bilbo.economicoutlook.net/blog/?p=33294#more-33294

In brief, the 1990's recession was resolved by depreciation (though not immediately): the current recession began in 2008, like everywhere else. The Finnish government reacted with a stimulus package which was working in terms of better GDP growth, by 2010. But the EU didn't like that, as usual, and so demanded the usual austerity measures. So the recovery reversed. Finns appear to have elected a right wing government which is happy to meet those demands ( much as has happened in the UK). So we get the usual catalogue of cuts to pay and benefits. And we get the usual results: high unemployment; low growth and increased inequality.

As ever there is an accompanying narrative: euro not to blame; living beyond means; profligacy of the very idea of a welfare state.

You may or may not agree with Bill Mitchell's analysis. I do. And it was entirely predictable that adoption of the euro would have this result. Though of course any country can do the same without the euro, as the UK shows. All they need to do is pretend they have the same constraints as eurozone countries have wrt currency. But they don't, as the earlier Finnish experience shows.

FionaK
view post Posted on 29/4/2016, 01:45

Re Finland
http://www.reuters.com/article/us-eurozone...t-idUSKCN0XP2FP

A petition has led to a debate in the Finnish parliament about whether the country should leave the Euro. The report says it is unlikely that they will secure a referendum on the issue since there are several stages and parliament would have to back it

Curiously it notes there was a poll in December which found that 54% wanted to stay in EZ; 31% wanted to leave; yet 44% said they thought the country would do better outside the EZ. This reminds me of Greece, where there was a strong wish to stay in EZ even though many seemed to recognise that there were good reasons to leave in terms of the prosperity of the people. At least that is what seemed to happen

I do not understand why people appear to want to stay in a system which is damaging them. But that seems to be the situation.

FionaK
view post Posted on 23/2/2017, 09:22

http://www.counterpunch.org/2017/02/21/fin...-pay-back-debt/

Interview with Michael Hudson. Not new thoughts, but worth restating

132 replies since 19/5/2011, 00:16   1612 views