:woot: AZZYYYYYYY~!!!!!!!

I remember you. :P ^_^

Vorgoeth
view post Posted on 18/1/2012, 22:49

Heya, Tsu, good to see you around! :)

ChairmanTony1638
view post Posted on 11/4/2012, 08:47

Hello all ^_^

I saw Fiona's (old) post at a (mostly dead) forum I used to frequent and am glad to see some familiar faces still active over here. Some of you once knew me as TonyMontana1638 or ChairmanMao1638 when I frequented other forums a few years ago, before Facebook, college and now graduate school drastically reoriented my internet socializing. Over the last month or so I have intensely missed the old forums, however, and am hoping to both reconnect with some old friends and make new ones. :)

The orientation of this forum is exciting for me because I think one of the things I was missing in particular was being able to discuss politics, philosophy, literature and alcohol in an informal, but serious manner. The blogosphere 'comments' sections just don't cut it for me anymore because of all the trolls, and I also am not much for actually composing blog entries. I have no idea how people would stumble upon them or would want to read what I would write; I want conversation. I am pleased to say that this place really looks ideal. ^_^

A little bit about me: I am a 23 year old dude and originally hail from Detroit, Michigan, USA. I am about to get an M.A. in history from one of America' oversized state universities, and will continue towards a PhD if this place will keep funding me. I am a huge sports fan and particularly love basketball, baseball and European football, although I also follow hockey, American football and rugby.

Sorry if this now sounds like a dating site profile... Anyways, look forward to seeing you around. :D

view post Posted on 11/4/2012, 12:15

Group:
Administrator

HAhaha, your sig made me laugh out loud!

You're most welcome here. History is awesome. We're slowly starting to build up a user base of super interesting people. This pleases me :D

FionaK
view post Posted on 11/4/2012, 19:53

QUOTE (ChairmanTony1638 @ 11/4/2012, 08:47) 
I am a huge sports fan and particularly love basketball, baseball and European football, although I also follow hockey, American football and rugby.

Sorry if this now sounds like a dating site profile... Anyways, look forward to seeing you around. :D

Hello Tony.

Nope, doesn't sound like a dating site profile to me. NOT. AT. ALL. Though perhaps there are some prospective partners who really want to keep their Saturday free; and Wednesdays; and most of the year......... ;)

Good to see you :D

ChairmanTony1638
view post Posted on 12/4/2012, 05:12

Well met, Vninect. I'm glad you appreciate the quote, yours is excellent as well. :)

Good to see you too Fiona, how have you been? Judging by the threads I noticed you have authored here, I'm glad to see you're still fighting the good fight. :D

And what's this about Saturdays and Wednesdays off? Surely those are the worst days to spend at the pub, absolutely nothing of interest going on then... :lol:

Theoacme
view post Posted on 23/11/2012, 00:27

It is Thanksgiving here in the United States, but this morning, I had really little to be thankful for, until I read two posts on two different electronic forums, and I realized that I do have a lot to be thankful for.

It is snowing this late afternoon in Minneapolis, Minnesota, as I digest both of the posts that I have read, and the dinner that my wife and I prepared with care for our guests and ourselves, and I am very thankful for those posts.

It was Savita Halappanavar that led me to my thanklessness, and a personal crisis of faith, and to Comment is Free in the Guardian, and to FionaKabuki, and one particular bifurcated post, and thus, here.

I do not know where my crisis of faith will lead me, but I am very thankful that Fiona did write what she did. Combined with the other post that I read today, from a very wonderful woman whom I have only met electronically, who has opened her heart to me, and opened mine to her, and thus, to others (where I would not have done so before), it has warmed my heart.

I doubt anyone here has seen me on any other forum that I have ever been on. I am an accountant by education, but I have no idea where I would fit in a political spectrum, given what I actually believe.

I have nearly twice as many years as ChairmanTony1638, and try to follow cricket, rugby league, some gridiron, and ice hockey (the lockout in the NHL is another possible discussion topic).

My handle, of course, should also indicate a love for animated films; my love for the films of Chuck Jones, and his fanatic coyote, should come at once to your mind seeing my handle. I cried near the end of A Grand Day Out - one of the best films ever made, in my opinion. And there is a short series of animations by a Korean artist that truly fill me with awe.

My online vocation is a Facebook game called Mafia Wars; I am in a wonderful family there, and the woman who posted the second post that I read, I work with her closely in running this family. She is quite perceptive, intelligent, and patient - in many ways, like Fiona. I am honoured that she considers me her friend, and I have learned much from her, as I have learned from Fiona today on CiF.

I look forward to sharing myself even more than I have been able to before. Thank you for welcoming me here ~smiles~

FionaK
view post Posted on 23/11/2012, 01:45

You are indeed very welcome here, Theoacme. I am sitting here blushing at your kind words, but nonetheless glad if you found something of value in my posts. :)

I hope you find something to enjoy here: I am sometimes a little harsh on accountants, I confess, but don't let that deter you. I have spent some little time trying to understand a mind set which seems to think that everything comes down to money and it is probably true that accountants themselves do not think like that. So perhaps you can keep me straight when I degenerate through frustration. :)

Theoacme
view post Posted on 23/11/2012, 03:23

I have to deal with health insurance companies in my current position, both in the scope of my employment, and in the scope of my personal health, so if you wish for me to pay penance, consider that already taken care of ~giggles~

Accountancy, to be fair to you, often is concerned with just the immediate numbers, the debits and credits. And a lot of accountants do merely look at just the numbers. My education was somewhat broader, in that I was taught to look at more than the immediate hard numbers, to look at all relevant factors, even those not immediately quantifiable.

Tired now, a long day for me. Thank you for your kind words.

Dotter
view post Posted on 1/6/2013, 10:58

I'm not really new here, but I thought I'd say hello and see who's around who might remember me under my various other usernames.

Hi.

view post Posted on 2/6/2013, 19:12

Group:
Administrator

Hiya!

70 replies since 13/5/2011, 14:28   1593 views