Say Hello, New members introduce yourselves here

« Older   Newer »
FionaK
view post Posted on 13/5/2011, 14:36

This is the place to tell as much or as little about yourself as you would like folk to know :)

I suppose I should start. Trouble is there is not much to say about me: I have previously been a member at JREF and at UK Skeptics, so that probably gives some idea of my interests. That, and the explanation at the top of the home page.

Hey ho: I have a hidden agenda here anyway: I want to post a link on another thread and I need 5 posts to do it: so I start out disingenuous before I even begin: hope that is not the shape of things to come!!

view post Posted on 13/5/2011, 17:21

Group:
Administrator

QUOTE (FionaK @ 13/5/2011, 15:36) 
I have a hidden agenda here anyway: I want to post a link on another thread and I need 5 posts to do it: so I start out disingenuous before I even begin: hope that is not the shape of things to come!!

You are a criminal and a fraud. :P I, on the other hand, am so innocent and lovely it's almost vulgar.

I, too, have been at the JREF, but I quit there because I wanted to do some other things. Now look at me: I set up a whole new forum for critical thinking, language, and politics! These topics tie in with so many interesting issues, from novels and films, to current events, to reviewing the world directly around us, that I think it is simply difficult not to appreciate them.

Plus, I like to challenge views and be challenged in debates. And putting those interests together, you simply have to arrive at a forum, don't you... Basic maths.

To all newcomers below: Welcome!! Make yourself at home. If you promise not to bite me, I will restrain myself, too. (Let that be a warning to all you zombies out there!)

Pseudos
view post Posted on 13/5/2011, 21:06

Hello! I am a new member and this will be my first post.

I have never been on a forum for critical thinkers, even though I challenge people on other forums to be more critical. So this is one of the reasons I am here. My quest is to inspire more people to think critical. I think it's the essence of human innovation. But then again: I am trying to wake people who don't know to be sleeping. I am happy to find awake people like me here. At least: I think we are awake.

Anyway, I follow one possible truth: Nothing is for sure.

FionaK
view post Posted on 13/5/2011, 21:14

Be welcome here, Pseudos. We are all half asleep I think: it is hard to know what to question because it is often buried so we dont' see it. But if we challenge each other then I think we can get better at it. Hope so, anyway

Dotter
view post Posted on 14/5/2011, 19:38

Fiona mentioned this forum to me and as any place that apparently merits her becoming a forum administrator must be of interest, I signed up posthaste. I'm not sure how active I'll be here, but I'll check by now and again.

Dotter is a relatively new name I go by, Fiona and Iccarus would probably recognise me as Ravager/Chatulio.

view post Posted on 14/5/2011, 20:07

Group:
Administrator

QUOTE (Dotter @ 14/5/2011, 20:38) 
Fiona mentioned this forum to me and as any place that apparently merits her becoming a forum administrator must be of interest, I signed up posthaste. I'm not sure how active I'll be here, but I'll check by now and again.

Dotter is a relatively new name I go by, Fiona and Iccarus would probably recognise me as Ravager/Chatulio.

Capital! The_Nexus checks in. Feel very welcome!

FionaK
view post Posted on 14/5/2011, 20:12

Great to see you, Dotter :)

flowerstar
view post Posted on 14/5/2011, 23:06

salutations! i post elsewhere as flowers but i actually prefer flowerstar now i've adopted that name.

so, hmm, what so say? i did a philosophy degree and kind of burned my brain out thinking waaay too hard over a short period of time so now even though i like reading deep stuff i rarely post replies, preferring to concern myself with the lighter side of life.

i spend my days juggling my job as a community worker and running around after several rambunctious offspring.

i like sushi.

that's it really.

catch ya in the book reviews section probably xx

FionaK
view post Posted on 14/5/2011, 23:16

Welcome flowerstar: it is very nice to see you here. I am hoping you will at least allow some of your philosophy knowledge to come out here from time to time: I find that stuff can shed a lot of light on many things. But if not: well start some light threads: especially if you know how to make sushi. I like sushi too :)

flowerstar
view post Posted on 14/5/2011, 23:23

ah, some of the best parties i've hosted have revolved around communal sushi making. i like playing with my food.

yes, i might be tempted over to the deeper end of the swimming pool from time to time :)

Pseudos
view post Posted on 15/5/2011, 19:46

Hello Dotter and Flowerstar, welcome :)

Flower, i share your thoughts on light threads. I wish it was easier to swim the deep pool. I can't always follow the amount of complex words and sentences. I would rather like to see complex matters explained in simple words. We shouldn't make life more complex than sushi ;)

Merlot
view post Posted on 28/5/2011, 16:50

Hello, some of you know me as Agatha. Thank you to Fiona for extending the invitation!

FionaK
view post Posted on 28/5/2011, 19:44

Hello Merlot. Glad to see you here and I hope you find something to enjoy :)

Zygar
view post Posted on 1/6/2011, 07:29

Hello. I'm a computer geek from the Mormon state. As a result of my locale, I was raised in the ways of capitalism, patriotism, and religious fanaticism. I've since been stripped of my dogma, and am trying to be an intelligent member of the community.

I also like sushi.

FionaK
view post Posted on 1/6/2011, 08:20

Welcome Zygar: it is particularly good to see you here because I know from past discussions that you are sincerely engaged in trying to look at some of these issues objectively, and I know how hard that is even for those of us who did not start from quite such a dogmatic base. If you will think with us we will all learn more because you have insights into the plutocratic mindset which are closed to me, I think.

70 replies since 13/5/2011, 14:28   1593 views